East trail to Giant NOT broken out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East trail to Giant NOT broken out

Yesterday afternoon (3/19) we decided to make a "quick" run up this trail, to Owls Head Lookout. Upon arriving at the PA on 9N in Etown, not only was it not plowed out but no evidence of anyone parking along the road. We put on our 'shoes and signed in at 4:55 PM ( yes, I know that's very late). No one had signed in for the last week but a set of ski tracks came out of the recycled machinery (junk) yard. We followed them on the trail until we reached the swimming hole where the skier turned around. Continued on, breaking trail to the top of the ridge and enjoyed basking in the setting sun, then turned around and went back to the car.
    If the trail had been broken out, we might have reached OHL but this turned out to just be a nice stroll in the snow. We sank in up to a foot in the unconsolidated parts of the trail, using Flex Alps shoes.
    Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
    2nd round: 16
    SL6r #596
    Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

FWIW, Giant and RPR are broken out from 73.
    Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO Views And Brews!

Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

Comment

Thanks for the update!

BTW, perhaps you meant to say "North Trail" to Giant?

​The North Trail starts from 9N. ​The East Trail starts from New Russia on 9.
      Looking for Views!

Comment

Working...
      X