Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loj to Marcy Dam and beyond 3/16

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loj to Marcy Dam and beyond 3/16

Today (Thursday 3/16) I headed out from the Loj toward Colden.

The Loj is plowed out. No issues there.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the trail at the register broken out. It appears a group of people were at the lean to at Marcy Dam and hiked out Wednesday. There was some fresh snow to stomp down but nothing compared to the wall of snow bordering the trail.

Arriving at the dam, I saw another broken trail across the river. So I made my way down and across the bridge (unbroken to that point) to where some people had come in from South Meadows, again likely Wednesday. Their trail also stopped at the dam.

I had bought the MSR tails for my 25" Lightning Ascents. Dang those are a pain to put on, but I got them on and headed down the yellow trail toward Avalanche. I (about 190-195 lbs with gear) was consistently sinking halfway up my shin, not infrequently to my knee and occasionally halfway up my thigh.

I figure I made it about halfway from Marcy Dam to the next trail junction before turning around.

By the time I got back to Marcy Dam, someone else had headed out on the blue trail toward Phelps. It had been unbroken when I passed it earlier.

I must have passed 15-20 hikers or skiers while going back to the Loj, and I suspect some went up toward Wright that I didn't see. That said, I found the trail still surprisingly soft all the way back to the register.

The Marcy Dam/Algonquin junction toward Algonquin on my way back to the Loj:

And toward Marcy Dam:

Here's looking out from where I turned back:

30/46

I was hoping you went to Upper Works!

Comment

Hi, I think I talked to you when you were headed back in, on the Loj side of the dam.

Comment

• NickWI
        NickWI commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes! I see your Phelps trail report, and I'm glad that went well! Maybe I'll head that was Saturday and follow your tracks. Breaking trail in this stuff, even a little, is leg breaking work.

Sounds like the Adirondacks are nearly officially closed. You've got unsupportive snow in large quantities down low, long approaches, warm weather (especially for south facing slopes). Not conducive to fun. Even if one person were to get through with huge snowshoes, that doesn't do much for the next one. Its back to the early days of snowshoeing. Solo. Unfortunately, if you're breaking trail, you're doing too much. Looks like the Gathering ambitions need to be reshaped.
      I might be kidding...

Comment

I will bet today many trails will get broken out and with warmer temps, things should consolidate and be more supportive. Will be a really nice day (and weekend) to be in the hills!

Comment

Originally posted by CatskillKev View Post
          Looks like the Gathering ambitions need to be reshaped.
          Yep. We dropped McNaughton off the list.

Comment

• CatskillKev
            CatskillKev commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like a good idea. :-)

Originally posted by 2505 View Post
          I will bet today many trails will get broken out and with warmer temps, things should consolidate and be more supportive. Will be a really nice day (and weekend) to be in the hills!
          Especially for anyone planning on doing Phelps.

Comment

Approximately 15 cars at the Cascade/Porter TH this afternoon. That one will be a sidewalk tomorrow...surely not worthy of Neil and Sylvie. Skiing at Cascade XC was outstanding today. We timed it perfectly and followed Artie who was grooming and setting track. In honor of St. Pat's we made it a point to climb up and ski down their most fun hill, Flanagan's Run!
            Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs

Comment

Originally posted by PA Ridgerunner View Post
              Approximately 15 cars at the Cascade/Porter TH this afternoon. That one will be a sidewalk tomorrow...surely not worthy of Neil and Sylvie. Skiing at Cascade XC was outstanding today. We timed it perfectly and followed Artie who was grooming and setting track. In honor of St. Pat's we made it a point to climb up and ski down their most fun hill, Flanagan's Run!
              Haha! Looking at Colden maybe for tomorrow. The High Peaks will be crawling with trail-breakers tomorrow. Awesome weather!!

Comment

• HikerRuss
                HikerRuss commented
                Editing a comment
                great! we (2 of us) are looking to maybe climb Colden tomorrow. (03/19/17)
                please re-post if you made it to the summit and how firm the snow was.
            Working...
            X