• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FlyFishingandBeer
    started a topic Calamity Bridge

Calamity Bridge

http://www.syracuse.com/state/index....igh_peaks.html

Anyone else's plans for next weekend just get complicated?

• Hear the Footsteps
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeCedar View Post
    The picture is the second bridge on the Bradley Pond trail to the Santanonis...talk about accidents waiting to happen...DEC removed the first bridge a couple of years ago.

Last Monday both brooks were impassible near the bridge and former bridge (not as bad as pictured). I would expect that by now the water is lower and crossing safely on ice is possible in a good place.

Replacement of these bridges may be waiting on classification of the land and consideration of possible alternate routes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This past weekend the brook was frozen enough at the site of the first bridge to cross on ice.

At the second bridge we chose to cross it rather than scope out an ice crossing. The second bridge also has a snow spine over the entire length of the center plank. That makes crossing a bit more interesting. I used the spine as a center hand rail. There were four of us and two stood up crossing and one slid across sitting on the spine.

I've crossed this bridge several times already. Though this time I was more conservative and didn't side step the ramp on the uphill side.

Don

Leave a comment:

• FlyFishingandBeer
    commented on 's reply
    So you're saying that there has been no change in the bridge that you're aware of and this warning is coming from desk jockeys and not the actual Rangers? Seems odd that they'd wait until this far along into the winter season to mention it (and without Ranger/DEC Officer input?), but I'll take your word for it. You've probably been out there much more recently than I have.

• JoeCedar
    replied
    Originally posted by trillium
    Where is this?
    The picture is the second bridge on the Bradley Pond trail to the Santanonis...talk about accidents waiting to happen...DEC removed the first bridge a couple of years ago.

Last Monday both brooks were impassible near the bridge and former bridge (not as bad as pictured). I would expect that by now the water is lower and crossing safely on ice is possible in a good place.

Replacement of these bridges may be waiting on classification of the land and consideration of possible alternate routes.

Leave a comment:

• trillium
    replied
    Where is this?

Leave a comment:

• Thomas
    replied
    What Joe said. DEC pre-empting any potential liability issues, although the advisory about the Bradley Pond trail bridges might be a bit misleading, that is, the part about rockhopping.

"Bradley Pond Trail: The first and second foot bridges on the Bradley Pond Trail are damaged and unusable. The stream can be forded /rock hopped on the downstream side of the bridge sites."

Rockhopping downstream a bit challenging here.

Leave a comment:

• JoeCedar
    replied
    The bridge at the Johns Brook Outpost was "closed" for years but people used it anyway. The bridge on the Bradley Pond trail is more precarious and dangerous but is still being used. Use at your own risk.

The DEC lawyers called this one. Do you think they went out to inspect the bridge? Erring on the side of caution.

Leave a comment:

• Cory D
    replied
    Yup, I was planning on taking the high water bridge on the Calamity trail up the to the top landing on the Fire tower; weekend foiled.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X