Dial Mt. 2/4/2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dial Mt. 2/4/2018

Hiked Dial Mt. on 2/4/2018 solo Arrived at the AMR and took off up to Lake Rd. Signed in at 8:30am and was off. It was snowing only very lightly. Walked up to the H.G Leach trail and turned off. It became steeper very quickly and really didn't seem to let up all day. There was a thin layer of powdery snow completely covering all if the trail which is surely sheets of ice all the way up. I wore Hillsounds and it was pretty sketchy at times. Nothing where I thought I could fall and die but I was definetly worried about slipping about a million times. By the time I reached the Noonmark shoulder it was snowing heavily. It was crazy cold up there and I tried not to linger. Had a bit of a time figuring things out here as drifts and heavier snow covered most everything. Found the correct path and continued to Bears Den. Lots of going down and more going down. Kind of a total bummer. I hate col's, I just do, all they signify to me now is that I'm about to get my ass kicked. Made it down and up to Bears Den and was excited to know I was close to Dial. I had no intention of doing anything but. Went down more and back up more and then finally reached the Dial summit. Incredibly cold, heavy snow, extremely uneventful, not one view except for snow beating my face. Took like two pictures and left. I was kind of over this hike since early. It was a miserable day, insane snow, lots of ups and downs, and no views. The most excting thing about it all was I have a shiny checkmark. I'm not trying to whine. I was and still am happy that I was out and chipping away. It was just really really cold and wet and snowy. I walked back to the Noonmark shoulder. It took me two hours. I was moving soooo slow. I was just over it. Made it to the shoulder and sat for a bit. It was even colder and even windier by now. I was happy to be there and knew the rest was a walk in the park even though some slicker steep areas remained. The snow drift was wild as well. Almost all my tracks were now covered with like eight or more inches of snow. Path is well marked so no worries but was still in awe. Made it back down the Leach trail and out Lake Rd. to finish at 3:30pm-ish. Didn't see a single other human all day out there. I walked really really slow at times and experienced some real right knee pain on the way down. It wasn't my favorite hike by any means whatsoever. Im glad I'm home and safe and Dial is done. In all honesty, the drive home south on the Northway for two hours was infinetly more treacherous than anything on the trail today. 16 down, 30 to go. Yay yeah

Sidenote: Vented my Apex today and stayed considerably dry and had no frost buildup whatsoever. However, I was cold as hell all the way up. It may be the "right" thing to do but I was cold. Came down from Dial into a covered spot. Put that Thermoball on and was like "ahhhhhh yes!!!!" I felt so much better almost immediately. The Apex worked great with two pit zips open the whole way. Stayed dry and never felt wet. I'm working this system out. Again thanks for all the advice guys. Always hoping I'll run into another rogue forum member out there

Photos and Video Here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lkwxqht4b...S2VuB9Rua?dl=0

Your balaclava rocks!

Comment

• salt
      salt commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks mang :P Thats made by a company called Mil Spec Monkey. You should check em out. Really cool stuff. More tactical/ miltary gear as opposed to hiking/ activewear.

Sounds like you would have been happier with your other style of dressing. You could die of hypothermia either way. Like Yury said in the other thread, maybe you should have worn cotton, but how cold was it? You said it was cold and wet, so maybe not that cold.

OK, I really shouldn't advocate cotton, since you would really want to know what you're doing.
    I might be kidding...

Comment

• salt
      salt commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah man im all set on anything cotton.

Dial from the Leach Trail surprises people. You go up and up relentlessly to Noon shoulder, do a quick drop and then go up again to Bear Den, enjoy another quick drop and then you go up all over again to Dial. The elly gains IIRC are 1800, 700 then 800 feet. Definitely keeps the quads and calves working, not to mention the myocardium, which is supposedly responsible for 8% of the energy consumption.
    Then, if you are adding on N-top you have yet another quick drop followed by relentless climbing.
    Project-100: 100 peaks, one winter. https://project100singlewinter.wordpress.com/

Comment

• salt
      salt commented
      Editing a comment
      The up and down crushed me but alas I did survive. Weather coupled with the ups and downs definetly made for a halfway challenging day.

Take care of that knee now or it will plague you for a long time.

Comment

• salt
      salt commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the advice. It's been ony mind since. I usually dont run into any issues. I don't have health issues or previous broken bone issues. It seems when I'm out multiple times in a row it's going to happen. I have to do more research and find out what it even is and why it's being irritated. Just feels like the impact of stepping down hard over and over again is the cause. We'll see, thanks again.

I had knee problems from descents for a long time. Mine was from two problems: (1) Being out of shape, and (2) Too much braking.

For (1) I started hiking regularly. (Hiking is the only training for hiking.) I also lost 20 pounds.

For (2) you definitely have to find your comfort zone, but there is a grace in letting gravity work for you. Early on, I found myself essentially trying to stop after each step, which just blows out your quads in no time, and they're what is stabilizing your knee.

They might not work for you, but they might.
    ADK 46/46W, Grid 237/552
    Photos & Stuff

Comment

• salt
      salt commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks guys, as I just commented above, I'm a bit at a loss about it as of now but will get to the bottom of it hopefully (soon.) autochromatica both things you mentioned are probably the case for me. I'm definetly not in the best shape but in good enough shape to walk 10+ miles round trip, so could be worse, haha. Makwa pack is a Osprey AG Manta 25. Pack fits great but I have noticed some fine tuning to be neccesary lately especially in the shoulders area. Have to see if adjustments help next time out. Definetly some great advice to try until I can get some more answers. Thanks guys. Always much appreciated

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      Osprey makes a good pack. But yes... fine tune it. If it's the same pack you wear in summer it may fit a little different in the winter with the extra layers of clothing you're wearing. Eliminate all possibilities even though the pack probably isn't the root cause of your problem like it may have been for me. I knew I shouldn't have bought that pack with Dora the Explorer on it but I couldn't help myself.

• salt
      salt commented
      Editing a comment
      Makwa Hey what you do with your Dora pack is your business, I won't judge you (too much) haha. Yeah I can't put my finger on it yet. There's usually time for me in between hikes so it's never insanely prominent. Had a string of days off this week and wanted to hit it as hard as I could. Am up now and am contemplating going somewhere today but may just sleep this one in and hit it again Thursday. Give it a few more days to feel better. I'm totally feeling what Woodly said above about it plaguing me if I don't acknowledge it seriously now. Im only one third of the way through my desired hiking goals. Hopefully I can identify the problem soon and take the proper precautions as needed if any.
Working...
X