Lower Great Range for Project 100

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Great Range for Project 100

While Neil is out tromping around yet again today, I thought I'd post my write-up and pics from yesterday's traverse of the Lower Great Range.

We broke trail from WolfJaws Notch over to the Gothics-Armstrong col, and again from Gothics' summit over Pyramid and down to the Sawteeth junction. There's several feet of snow along the whole way, with massive drifts here and there. I wouldn't be surprised if some of our track is gone today.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2813.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	482751

We had a stiff wind (my guess is 30mph, although it felt like more) over Gothics, but the both of us had appropriate gear and felt fine. It was a glorious day, with sublime views from dawn to dusk. If it wasn't so cold I could have taken photos all day.

More pics and write-up at the link if you're interested.
    ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 238/552
    Photos & Stuff

Does anyone know if LWJ is broken out from lake road?
    thanks
    -s
    Stuart rose from the ditch, climbed into his car, and started up the road that led toward the north... somehow he felt that he was headed in the right direction. E.B.White, Stuart Little

Comment

• autochromatica
      autochromatica commented
      Editing a comment
      It's broken out, yes...

Neil accidentally hit the video record on top of Gothics...this gives you a pretty good impression for what it was like!

https://youtu.be/h7UuA1uQ_wg
    ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 238/552
    Photos & Stuff

Comment

Great pictures! We did gothics/Armstrong on a minus 40 windchill day a few years ago - this takes me back!! I'd like to see the video of how you ascended that ladder section!! Did you tree hug on the right?
      46R (#7146) ADK, 46W
      48 (NH 4000) + winter
      NE 115 (#706)
      NE Winter 115 (#82)

Comment

• autochromatica
        autochromatica commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha, there wouldn't have been any way to video anything at the ladder. It was crazy. (Yes, we went to the right of the ladder. I wouldn't exactly say that we 'hugged' the trees...it was a bit less cozy than that...)

• mastergrasshopper
        mastergrasshopper commented
        Editing a comment
        back awhile ago the ladder was removed and not replaced for a few years ( same as cables on Gothics )
        I had to use 10 point crampons and my favorite ice ax. I climbed it then used ax as picket and set a TEMPORARY rope for 2 fellow travelers.
        After that I mainly do clockwise and try to be first down and ski it in a huge swoosh of snow.

I waited a couple of days till Saturday and then went clockwise instead of your counterclockwise, so no one would accuse me of vulturing.... Great job breaking trail on UWJ and Armstrong! Even with several people through there since there was plenty of snow. At the ladder, I just did my usual monkey-swing down the trees, then dropped off to the bottom. The ice was getting pretty well exposed.

No one had gone down Gothics/Pyramid since you two, and those bounding downhill snowshoe-postholes were not the greatest surface for me going up, but I guess I shouldn't complain.

Comment

• autochromatica
        autochromatica commented
        Editing a comment
        I saw you slow up for that section between Pyramid and Gothics, and knew it would be tough. Once you were up I knew you were good for the day!

I got to break out Upper WolfJaw and gladly let Neil break out almost all of Pyramid. I think I got the better end of that deal...
    Working...
    X