Redfield 12/24 and 12/26

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redfield 12/24 and 12/26

Did this from Upper Works. Took two trips to break out Redfield. Calamity Brook trail is in great shape thanks to Claudia's club hike. I had a fast track all the way to Lake Colden Dam. It was slower to Uphill Brook but trail was tracked by at least two on snow shoes. The tracks came from the Feldspar side and it looks like they attempted or even broke out Cliff.

I took on Redfield because I really wanted both Cliff and Redfield. In the end only Redfield.

The path to Redfield was loaded with deep snow at least knee to thigh high. At times I was waist deep at hidden snow covered steps. I made it up the lateral brook almost to where path and brook diverge. It was 130 and I turned around.

On the 26th I got started an hour earlier. There was 2-4 inches of new snow. I seemed to make a good time back to where I stopped on the 24th....at least it seemed so much easier. I had to work at staying on the path in the section of woods from where the path and the brook diverge. Eventually I figured that out. It was really slow going. Lots of erosion on that trail, a deep trench, and rock hopping opportunities. In the winter snow holes. Snow was never less than knee high. Often I was waist deep in a snow hole.

I played a game listening to music on my MP3 player when I queued up Beethoven's 9 symphonies at the Uphill Brook lean to. I wanted to know how many it would take before I reached the summit. The answer is 6+. I'd hoped I could finish at the end of the 6th. The summit tree was in sight but I got into a number of snow holes so I had to settle for the start of the 7th (2pm). It took on the rest of the 7th and all of the 8th to return to the lean to. It was 12-1/4 hour trip on the 26th.

On the two days I saw two skiers at the lean to near flowed lands and a couple hiking in the evening of the 26th.

Don

Nice going, Don...a super effort. Why? Because it is there...and/or on a list!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeCedar View Post
      Nice going, Don...a super effort. Why? Because it is there...and/or on a list!
      Hi Joe,
      It all started by working on a list. And when I couldn't finish on day 1. Well when I didn't finish I was obligated to go back. Worried that it wouldn't be broken out yet wanting it not to have been.
      Don
      Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 12-27-2017, 09:06 PM.

Comment

• autochromatica
        autochromatica commented
        Editing a comment
        I know the feeling. I hiked Allen last April after the last big snowstorm. When I got to the interior register, I found new snowshoe prints of people who had spent the previous night, and while it was great having the track to follow I remember being a little disappointed.

Then they barely made it above Skylight Brook...and I broke the rest of the route. Near the top, I wondered what the hell was wrong with me, not wanting to follow an existing track up that mountain.

Great soundtrack - I feel like the Adirondacks and Beethoven go together perfectly. That's one determined summit!

Comment

• Hear the Footsteps
        Hear the Footsteps commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. Fate wasn't knocking on the door for me. More like Ode to Joy.
        Don

OMG - that is crazy!!!! Cliff and Redfield are just never easy.... what an effort!!!
      46R (#7146) ADK, 46W
      48 (NH 4000) + winter
      NE 115 (#706)
      NE Winter 115 (#82)

Comment

• Hear the Footsteps
        Hear the Footsteps commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I can take credit only for Redfield.
    Working...
    X