Street & Nye 12/26/2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Street & Nye 12/26/2017

Hiked Street & Nye Mountains on 12/26/2017. Set out from Adirondack Loj at 7:30am. Arrived at the Old Nye Ski trail shortly after and began the trail break. The trail appeared to be unused for at least a few days. Trail was defined but had probably eight to twelve inches of powdery fresh snow. We arrived at the first water crossing to find no defined way across and lots of fresh white snow. Long story short, we went very slow but not too slow and made it across without incident. It is frozen but was still mid level sketchy. I weigh around 225 and heard no cracking. Would hate to fall in there. Probably wouldn't be hurt but your hike would almost certainly be over. We continued up a relatively defined path and crossed a few more simple water hops. As we gained in elevation you could definetly see the difference in snow volume. Lots of snow, very narrow, very untouched. It was actually quite an experience for us. This was by far our snowiest outing to date. Had to crawl under a few trees over the course of the day but the blowdown was more than manageable. We broke good trail for approximately seventy five percent of the trip and felt great about it. Then out of nowhere the trail literally dissappeared. No sign at all of any possible trail. I walked maybe fifty feet and felt odd of it so turned around to regroup quickly. Literally as soon as we turned around another very friendly couple came walking up behind us and looked as lost as we were. I took a compass reading while they checked their phones. Turns out we were all walking the right way after all. We now had four snowshoes. Yay! It couldn't have come at a better time because we were now leaving "trail breaking" territory. This now looked like a straight bushwack to me. Snow was at least two feet deep. Probably five minutes later another couple came up from behind and joined in the fun. Six snowshoes! Even better! Again, it couldn't have come at a better time. Everything really felt like it happened for a reason to all of us for the rest of the day. Shortly after we reached the junction. Everyone waited while everyone else regrouped and drank and organized. Everyone was incredibly friendly. More friendly than I've seen. We all seemed to be in this together now. It was nice. Me and my partner hung our packs at the junction and headed to Street. More and more narrow snow hallways all the way to the summit. We hung, took a few pictures, took pictures for others and left. We were actually cold today and not ready to linger up top at all, haha. Made short work of the descent and then headed to Nye. Made even shorter work of that, did our photo stuff and left even quicker than we had at Street. We arrived back at junction and we all kinda said our "nice to meet ya's" and headed down at our own paces. We were last out at about 4:30pm. I know thats not a stellar time compared to some but we were happy. We walked basically a mile an hour which is where I'm usually at regardless of weather. All in all today was a totally different experience than we've ever had. All snow, no visible ice, cold as hell! It was awesome. We were definetly feeling it when we got down but it was a good burn. No slips, no falls, no submerged feet. That's a good day in my book. Street & Nye is good to go again.

Nicely done salt

Breaking trail is exhausting but rewarding, isn't it? We humans are a strange species.
    ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 238/552
    Photos & Stuff

Comment

• salt
      salt commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks man. Yeah it was nice knowing we helped keep the traffic flowing for sure. Was a winter wonderland up there! We had some help at the end though and quite honestly, we needed it. Unfortunately none of them were forum members. :(

My daughter and I did S&N on 12/22 with trail breakers ahead of us plowing thru up to 12" on top. My daughter actually broke thru the ice on the brook on the way back fulfilling my nightmare. We laughed when she broke straight thru about 12" and landed in 6" deep water.

Comment

• autochromatica
      autochromatica commented
      Editing a comment
      I did that once further upstream Indian Brook. As soon as I pulled my snowshoe out, it froze and weighed 10 pounds. Luckily I had waterproof boots, or else that would have ended the trip right then and there.

Nicely done. Always feels good to do some community service doesn't it? Even better when others come along to help out later!

Comment

• salt
      salt commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you sir and yes absolutely. Wasn't anything too hard. The trail was defined, just unwalked for a few.

A wet boot in winter need not signal the end of the hike. There are several accounts on this forum of people breaking through ice, mitigating the resulting sogginess, and continuing their hike.

BogHollow broke through the ice along the Lake Arnold Trail, north of Feldspar Lean-to and continued on to Skylight, etc.

rbalbs broke through Lake Jimmy and continued on to Allen.

After Marshall, I broke through the Opalescent and continued on to Cliff.

In all cases, submersion was limited to below the knee and a resulting soggy boot. The key is to keep your wits about you and quickly remedy the situation with dry socks and plastic bags. That's an effective mitigation plan even if you decide to abort the hike.
    Looking for Views!

Comment

• salt
      salt commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll have to check out some of those links. I know for me right now it would be a huge morale killer. Luckily no such event took place. Phew!

I remember losing the trail just as suddenly in March 2015. It was past most of the ascent and like you said, the trail just disappeared. That late in the season I was able to find the trail by probing with my snowshoes to find where it was packed underneath.
    46/46 11/46W

Comment

• salt
      salt commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes very peculiar indeed. Luckily we bumped into the others when we did. It was that or a straight west bearing till i saw something recognizable.

Thanks, salt and others, for the trailbreaking. Today, it was like a highway and you stuck very close to the summer herdpath. The IPB crossing was still in good shape.

The highest temperature today was in the parking lot when we were done: -5F. It was more in the territory of -10 F (or lower) most of the day. But with bright blue skies and low wind, it was great!

Comment

• salt
      salt commented
      Editing a comment
      No problemo, haha. I'm glad we kept it straight for the most part. It's amazing how much snow collects on some of these paths.

That pic of Marshall just oozes cold...wow.

Comment

It was surprisingly comfortable, especially considering I was in 60-70F temps a few days ago. The trail was really in perfect shape, its nice to know who to say thanks to!

Comment

• salt
        salt commented
        Editing a comment
        Piece of cake. No problem, and thanks for thanking me. Pleasure was all mine.

I've been waiting for this report! Enjoyed reading it. Much appreciated! I had a similar experience on S&N last Winter, broke trail but lost it way up...I was solo with no one in sight. So I bailed. May give it another try this winter.
      What is the sound of one boot hiking?

Comment

• salt
        salt commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh man, just hearing that makes me frown but when it doesn't feel right, better to play it safe than sorry. It was weird as ever to see the trail just dissppear. I can understand how you would feel though. From what I've been seeing that one area just throws people through a loop.

Originally posted by salt View Post
      Then out of nowhere the trail literally dissappeared. No sign at all of any possible trail....
      Common occurrence in the snowy months. Especially when the woods open up every direction looks like a path. I even bet you lost the path near where I've lost the path before.

Congrats on getting it done

Don

Comment

• salt
        salt commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Don. Although unconfirmed it seems people lose that trail at the same spot in winter from what I've heard and read. It was a ten or so minute walk to the junction after that point.

I think the right turn before the rock face wall and the climb up to the view rock is where some hikers lose the trail. Those two items are the landmarks to look for.

Comment

Originally posted by eddie View Post
        I think the right turn before the rock face wall and the climb up to the view rock is where some hikers lose the trail. Those two items are the landmarks to look for.
        Bingo, at least when we climbed it in summer. Really easy to go astray there.

Comment

Thanks for your hard work. My wife and I enjoyed a clearly defined and well packed trail, except for a spot close to the junction where some mystery trail headed off to the left. Anyone here know what that was about? Probably saw around a dozen people along the way.

Comment

• salt
            salt commented
            Editing a comment
            I couldn't elaborate about it. When we thought we were lost another couple literally showed right up. No one in our rag tag group of six deviated from one path. All one straight trail when we left on Tuesday. And thanks for the thanks. We had a great tine. Back out tomorrow. Have no idea where to though.
        Working...
        X