Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone done Sewards from Duck Hole/Cold River leantos?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone done Sewards from Duck Hole/Cold River leantos?

Working on a backpacking/paddling trip for next summer. Curious about how Sewards from that direction compare to the usual route (from Coreys). I could just get out a map and count miles, but looking for any info beyond that. Thought was to paddle Henderson/Preston Ponds (with carries) and then stay at Duck Hole or CR leantos. Any info or TR references would be a help. Thanks!

Haven't done this myself, but the slide on Emmons gets occasional use and Random Scooter (?) has done the slide on Seward. If you search in the slide climbing section, it will probably pop up. I'm told Ouluska Pass is beyond thick.

Comment

• mastergrasshopper
      mastergrasshopper commented
      Editing a comment
      Slide on Seward was first climbed by Cold river Bob then by RS and MG we thought we were the first and named it Scooter slide. I then climbed it a second time with Neil. Emmons slide: Neil and I climbed for project 52. both slides are short and hard to find and not really an aid to get anywhere but more for the sake of the climb. The Emmons slide is much older and used to be climbed more often in the 80's and 90's.

Thanks. Was not planning on going that route- just the usual north herd path up Seward and along the ridge. Have to reclimb D & S, but so be it. I, too, have heard that Oluska Pass is terra incognita. My one time on Emmons many years ago ended in a raging thunder storm, and we bailed with a 'whack down to Cold River rather than risk being exposed on the ridge. Shredded our ponchos and any exposed flesh, and we got back to Ward Brook LT way after dark, famished and really cold.

Comment

Yes, Iíve done it that way several times. Nice day. Consider bushwhacking down off and Emmons to the NLP and back to Duck Hole. Makes for a nice loop. Iím not sure how much time that would save today but years ago when the Seward to Emmons ridge was in much rougher shape, dropping off Emmons definitely made the day quicker.

Comment

Neil did Emmons via the slide in the past year or two. He's a little busy right now, but you could probably find the report via search.
        #8335W, Solo 46W
        NE 111 113/115

One list may be done, but the journey is far from over...
        Half Dome, 2009

Comment

Not exactly what you are looking for, but here is a Sewards TR from last year backpacking along the Raquette river as we were chasing Neil during his circumnavigation last year.
          http://web.ncf.ca/mbowler/hiking/adk...4/sewards.html

Cheers,
          Mike

Comment

Santa's to Sewards I used to cross cold river just a bit below Duckhole at old horse ford. When dam breached during Irene it washed out the ford and now I just wade the Cold river direct down from Couch over to old Olouska lean-to.
            Neil and I did Emmons slide from Olouska LT during project 52.
            The NPT from Duck to Olouska is very nice easy trail.
            The ward brook truck trail over to start of Seymour is wide solid trail but does traverse one flooded beaver dam section a bit past 2 lean to at moose river ( intersection of NPT and Ward brook truck trail.

Comment

Originally posted by h96s99 View Post
              Yes, Iíve done it that way several times. Nice day. Consider bushwhacking down off and Emmons to the NLP and back to Duck Hole. Makes for a nice loop. Iím not sure how much time that would save today but years ago when the Seward to Emmons ridge was in much rougher shape, dropping off Emmons definitely made the day quicker.
              I like that idea. How is that whack? I have bad memories of it, but I was maybe 12 and the weather was horrid.

Comment

Well, my beta is 25+ years old but for what itís worth, I dropped off that side twice and remember it being fairly straightforward and not too difficult.

Comment

Working...
                X