To Grid or Not to Grid... 12/17/17

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Grid or Not to Grid... 12/17/17

To Grid or Not to Grid that was the question....

I remember when I finished my four season 46 in 2010 and wrote a trip report: it was Joe Bogardus that replied to my report, " You know what comes next?", I was like no way, that's not going to happen.

I can honestly say I didn't stick to the list, have to get it done, just slowly plug away. There were at times I would say to myself, it just isn't going to happen, can't be focused enough to finish it, there was other things I want to do. I mean if I did really want to finish, I wouldn't have done almost twice as many mountains, I definitely took the long way of finishing.

Well in Dec of 2015 I was diagnosed with my second cancer, almost 15 years later from my first and thought dam it, I waited too long. I mean yes at anytime in those years something could have happened but this was the jolt for me to finish. 2016 was a year of healing so I had lost a few months and decided that 2017 was the year to get this done. I was happy that I hadn't finished yet in December because I would save my anniversary date of being cancer free to make it a date of happiness and say to cancer... "You Lose"

And because I am a person about meaning of dates and peaks I decided to leave Santanoni for last. My reason for me was St. Anthony was my mother's favorite saint so I would do this in her memory and also its my Fiancé name who is my biggest supporter, so a tribute to her.

What I can tell you I pushed myself every month to complete it, I had Jan complete a few years back and managed to finish Nov in 2016. I had ten months to fill in the blanks. I almost felt selfish at times because if someone wanted to hike I wouldn't go with them or they had to do what I wanted. Luckily I have some pretty great friends who understood. My biggest months with holes in them were June, July and August, sounds crazy but those were the months I love to travel to other places to explore. This year there was some juggling with travelling and doing some mega hikes in those months to get them done.

To plan a year in advance the day you want to finish, to get a good weather day would be a hit or miss....I think my mom talked to God and said let the sun shine, yes it was a cold one but I got to answer the question on Santanoni Peak with some amazing people. TO GRID

I really have a hard time writing a full report on this one because there was so many emotions ... it's all I can say it was a great day and a day of just being so dam thankful.

And I have to say I am very proud of this one and that I will be on a list with a group that I have admired through the years, nowhere near their caliber but still an honor to be with them...

A final thanks to this forum, without this I would have never met the incredible people whom many I can call friends and have shared trail time with me.

Attached Files
    Thank you God...because of you I am HighOnLife My elves :) Outstanding views
    Last edited by Highonlife; 12-18-2017, 10:34 AM.
    Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up. ~Jesse Jackson

I guess I get to be the first to say... Congratulations! Both on the grid finish, and pushing through some life times which must have been very tough. Keep on hiking.

Mike

Comment

• Highonlife
      Highonlife commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, all I can tell you when you go through tough times, like many of us do....you just have to keep climbing

Truly amazing! Thank you for sharing something so personal. Looks like you had fantastic company for St-Anthony.
    Project-100: 100 peaks, one winter. https://project100singlewinter.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Highonlife
      Highonlife commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Neil...and one of my favorite memories is my first hike with you and Jack....wishing you the best on your newest endeavor

Every time our paths crossed, Nancy, was a gift. Your journey has been more inspirational for me than you know. I still hope one day to follow in your footsteps. Congratulations.

Comment

• Highonlife
      Highonlife commented
      Editing a comment
      You know Thomas I feel the same way, just seeing you always makes me smile...and thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate this. As always hope to see you out there

Wow...as the son and husband of cancer survivors, this story has extra meaning for me. The mountains are a special place. Congrats!

Comment

• Highonlife
      Highonlife commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah its a tough disease but as you know survivors are tougher...God Bless you and hope they are doing well. Mountains are healers And thanks

Such and inspiration, Nancy. Thank you for sharing your day/journey with us.
    If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled ~ Red Skelton

Comment

• Highonlife
      Highonlife commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks...and thank you many years ago sharing some trail time with me

Beautiful. Way to go, Nancy!!
    Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs

Comment

Congratulations Nancy! Very inspiring!

FWIW, you inspired me to pursue my first winter round. I recall our conversation at a Winter Gathering (2011?) where I complained about all kinds of foot problems and you flatly said I could overcome them. "You can do it. I know you can." You had more confidence in me that I had! At the time I knew very little about your own battle against far greater odds. In retrospect, my concerns were trivial.

Congratulations on becoming a Gridder, on surviving cancer yet again, and for finding someone to share your love. My best to you both.
      Looking for Views!

Comment

• Highonlife
        Highonlife commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow Taras I am glad that you shared this with me , its worth a lot. I am glad I gave you that boost to do your first winter round, now look at you ...and by your stats your not too far from being a gridder yourself .Thank you and all my best

Looking at the list of 15 previous 12X46 finishers (and knowing most of them), I don't think any one had the off-trail challenges you had. Yet, you persevered in both hiking and health, and look where you are now!!! Congratulations.

Comment

• Highonlife
        Highonlife commented
        Editing a comment
        Joe thank you, this means a lot...from someone I have admired through the years, to be on a list with you, is a proud day for me and an honor. I am just glad I pushed through and thanks for saying to me in 2010...You know what comes next

And to grid you did. Fantastic job, Nancy! What are mountains compared to overcoming cancer, twice? I can only imagine. For such a little person you have a strong spirit and an even bigger heart. Should I ever finish mine, I will be happy to follow in your footsteps, knowing I can never hold a candle to your grace.
      #8335W, Solo 46W
      NE 111 113/115

One list may be done, but the journey is far from over...
      Half Dome, 2009

Comment

• Highonlife
        Highonlife commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Christina...and no need to follow unless I am breaking trail And I know you will finish, just plug away and eventually it will happen

An inspirational story. Congratulations, you deserve the happiness that comes with completing such a task. And also for whipping cancer, Happy Holidays
      Catskills: 39/39, 26W/35W
      ADK: 46/46

Comment

• Highonlife
        Highonlife commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you and I feel good about this

Wow, I have not been here for months and months. I don't know why I just checked today. Congratulations from #10. And yet another December finish. Santanoni in fresh snow must have been wonderful. Good hats

Comment

• moosebeware
        moosebeware commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Kerry!! Hope all is well!

• Highonlife
        Highonlife commented
        Editing a comment
        How cool is this? To see a comment from you Kerry, hope all is well...and thank you #10

Nancy, congratulations. Wish I could have been there....but then I'm sure some of my hiking buddies were there; so, I feel a little bit represented. See you sooner than later on the trails.

Don (#14)

Comment

• Highonlife
        Highonlife commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Don #14, oh yes they were with me, it was quite and honor...Claudia even got in the photo with us, so you know that was special. Merry Christmas and hope to see you out there, always love sharing trail time with you

• Hear the Footsteps
        Hear the Footsteps commented
        Editing a comment
        It's not every day you get Claudia into the picture. For sure it was a MOST SPECIAL OCCASSION.
        Don

Congratulations on an amazing accomplishment! I thought about you the last couple times out to the Santanonis and Sewards, and just being amazed at how you strung them both together this summer. I guess this is “the rest of the story”. Truly, congratulations.
      ADK 46/46W, Grid 237/552
      Photos & Stuff

Comment

• Highonlife
        Highonlife commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes that was one of those mega hikes but I have to say it was one of my favorite things I did this summer. My hiking partner and I are talking of a repeat for next year, without the nausea Thank you

A huge congratulations to you! Finishing the grid takes a lot of determination, character, and strength of mind, body and soul. But you brought another level of meaning to the accomplishment, considering the additional challenges that you faced. I've always enjoyed reading your trip reports, and hope there will be more.
      We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing ~ Satchel Paige

Comment

• Highonlife
        Highonlife commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, glad you like my reports...I guess I will start putting out more. I have to say I am really proud and happy that I got to finish it, with some wonderful people by my side. I feel very blessed on many levels
    Working...
    X