Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adult marshmallow test - Allen Mountain for the finish.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adult marshmallow test - Allen Mountain for the finish.

Finishing on Allen was not how I anticipated completing the 46, but if I've learned anything this past year hiking the 46 - the plans we make for ourselves and what we want aren't always where we end up, but at the end of the day, it's exactly where we need to be. Chance and circumstance has played a huge role in my life this past year so it's only fitting it has determined how I finish my 46. Taking advantage of unseasonably warm and perfect backpacking weather, October 22/23 I backpacked the Sewards/Seymour, leaving me with Marshall and Allen. I was pleasantly surprised by the trails to Seymour and the Sewards, encountering almost no mud or perfectly placed stones and sticks that I was able to do a lot of running and also return to my car virtually mud free! Of the four I have to say Seward was my favorite! Flash forward a couple days I had another day off and decided in favor of time to hike Marshall. Another pleasant surprise! It was an absolutely gorgeous day and I found the trail to Marshall to move quickly. I was also very excited to have some stellar views! It was also the perfect trail for reflection and I found myself deep in thought about what hiking the 46 meant to me and how it intertwined with some of the best and hardest moments of my life and helped me to grow and move forward in ways I never expected!

This leads me to today, and Allen, "looming" over me. If I hate anything, it's having something uncompleted taunting me. Pretty much all I have been thinking about since the 25th is when will I be able to get Allen for the finish! I have the day off Tuesday as does a friend (which pretty much never happens) so not only will I have a hiking buddy, but also someone to be there when I finish the 46! (kinda anti-climatic if not haha) I keep telling myself I should wait for winter to be in full swing before getting Allen at this point, as the weather and conditions don't seem the best for it at the moment? But please someone tell me I'm wrong!! I'm basically anticipating ridiculous amounts of mud and a lot of ice. Not exactly the most enjoyable of conditions, especially in the cold. Can anyone comment on the conditions?

So the question, the marshmallow test - hike Allen on Tuesday or wait for more snow!?

The East River Trail leading to Allen is one of the muddiest, and that was certainly true just over a week ago. Much has frozen since then, the weather over the next several days look stable, and temperatures should stay near or below freezing. Next Tuesday would look good to me if Allen were on my list.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas View Post
      The East River Trail leading to Allen is one of the muddiest, and that was certainly true just over a week ago. Much has frozen since then, the weather over the next several days look stable, and temperatures should stay near or below freezing. Next Tuesday would look good to me if Allen were on my list.
      Take microspikes or similar traction devices, and changes of socks (or wear wool).

Comment

Ice. Expect ice. And water, and mud.
        #8335W, Solo 46W
        NE 111 113/115

One list may be done, but the journey is far from over...
        Half Dome, 2009

Comment

I love Allen...

Comment

Working...
          X