No announcement yet.

Hopkins and Spread Eagle Mountains

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopkins and Spread Eagle Mountains

I would like to share a video my Dad and myself put together of our hike of Hopkins Mountain, and the nearby Spread Eagle Mountain.

If you're thinking of hiking Spread Eagle Mountain, definitely watch this as the signs may mislead you into thinking it's closer than it actually is!

Nice video!

Two questions:
    1. Atop Hopkins, someone states it's 300 meters to Spread Eagle. Where did he get that information? It's 900 meters.
    2. In the col, someone states a trail-sign is in error because it indicates merely 0.2 miles from Hopkins to Spread Eagle. Where is this sign?

Approximately 100 meters from the summit of Hopkins is a trail junction with two signs. One sign indicates it's 0.09 miles back to Hopkins. The other indicates 0.46 miles to Spread Eagle. That's a total of 0.55 miles (885 meters) between the two peaks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Spread Eagle sign.jpg Views:	1 Size:	95.5 KB ID:	481689

Is there an erroneous sign atop Hopkins? If so, I admit to not having seen it.
    Looking for Views!

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
      Nice video!

Two questions:
      1. Atop Hopkins, someone states it's 300 meters to Spread Eagle. Where did he get that information? It's 900 meters.
      2. In the col, someone states a trail-sign is in error because it indicates merely 0.2 miles from Hopkins to Spread Eagle. Where is this sign?

Approximately 100 meters from the summit of Hopkins is a trail junction with two signs. One sign indicates it's 0.09 miles back to Hopkins. The other indicates 0.46 miles to Spread Eagle. That's a total of 0.55 miles (885 meters) between the two peaks.

Click image for larger version Name:	Spread Eagle sign.jpg Views:	1 Size:	95.5 KB ID:	481689

Is there an erroneous sign atop Hopkins? If so, I admit to not having seen it.
      The "about 300 metres" is a rough estimate of 0.2 miles

The sign saying .2 miles is on the Ranney trail - I am guessing you took one of the other trails?

Comment

My route was circuitous to say the least. I was recording information to update OpenStreetMap so I:
        - ascended Hopkins via the Mossy Cascade Trail
        - descended via Hopkins Direct to the unpaved road
        - ascended Spread Eagle via the Spread Eagle Trail
        - returned to Hopkins and descended to route 73 via the Ranney Trail
        - walked along route 73 to return to my starting point

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/44.18330/-73.74982

I have photos of the signs at the MossyCascade/Ranney junction and you are 100% correct. The sign erroneous indicates Spread Eagle is just 0.2 miles beyond Hopkins. Oops! I imagine one could contact the DEC and report it but I have no idea how long it may take to correct it ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spread Eagle sign - wrong info.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	481698
        Looking for Views!

Comment

DEC signs are often wrong on distance. Many, many of these signs are obviously wrong. Go with the ADK Guidebook. Many of the trails have been measured with wheels for the guidebook, which fairly accurately represents "real trail distance."

Comment

Nice video, Thanks.
            Hopkins has a great view.
            Don

Comment

I checked that sign at the Mossy Cascade/Ranney junction last spring and even loosened the lag bolts, but missed the erroneous distance on the sign. The confusion about the distance between Hopkins and Spread Eagle apparently comes from the guidebook which says ..."2.9 mi for Spread Eagle and Hopkins and 2.7 mi for Hopkins via Direct Trail."

I would have thought that hikers would have realized that those distances are for two separate trails and that, of course, the "direct" trail will be shorter. Nevertheless, I have heard from several others that they thought it was only 0.2 mi to Spread Eagle from Hopkins. I just didn't realize that error had actually ended up on a sign. I guess that ".1" will have to somehow "mysteriously" change to ".4" in the near future.

Comment

Very enjoyable video! There is also a sign in the video at time stamp 5:16 that shows "Hopkins 0.2 mi." and "Spread Eagle 0.4 mi." so it appears to be more than just one erroneous sign.
                We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing ~ Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                X