Indian Pass Talus Caves: TSOD and Henadoawda 2017 November 4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Pass Talus Caves: TSOD and Henadoawda 2017 November 4

On an environmental note: this is not a bat hibernation site nor did we find any activity. Yes, we checked with the DEC ahead of time. On a safety note: Follow all caving precautions to avoid getting lost or injured.

VIDEO: https://youtu.be/6TigInkrBug

Rumors of the Indian Pass talus caves have intrigued me since hearing about them a decade or so ago. Panther Gorge’s talus caves (especially Mt. Marcy Cavern) were very interesting so what mysteries did Indian Pass hold with its almost 2.5 miles of documented passages in various cave systems? A research project and SAR interests led me to contact Chuck Porter, editor of NE Caver. Chuck filled in many blanks.

I mentioned this to Alan Wechsler, a journalist/explorer friend. He immediately decided to write a story about caver, Robert W. Carroll Jr., for an upcoming issue of Adirondack Explorer newsmagazine. His article will have extensive details on Carroll as well as details from our trip. Carroll mapped nearly 12,000 feet of passages in a series of caves below Wallface. The largest Indian Pass caves are the TSOD (Touchy Sword of Damocles) and Henadoawda systems. We found both and explored roughly 400’ of multi-level passage before calling it a day. The following video and photos show a bit of what we found. The first 4 are from TSOD (Touchy Spear of Damocles), the latter set from Henodoawda.

View from the top of a talus cluster

TSOD

May your ambition for the goal allow you to be a student of the journey.

www.adirondackmountaineering.com

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2729.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	481581Click image for larger version  Name:	image_2725.jpg Views:	1 Size:	121.6 KB ID:	481578Click image for larger version  Name:	image_2726.jpg Views:	1 Size:	75.2 KB ID:	481579Click image for larger version  Name:	image_2727.jpg Views:	1 Size:	299.5 KB ID:	481580

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for sharing. The video really gives a sense of what is down there. It looks really awesome! Do you plan to explore further in the vicinity?
      offonadventure.com

Comment

I might go back sometime, but I was both satisfying my age old curiosity and playing photographer. Alan's doing a detailed Adirondack Explorer piece and this got us both in there. I'll probably be climbing on Wallface when I head back next, but I wouldn't mind poking around further to the W if the mood strikes someday.

Comment

Working...
        X