Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giant and Rocky Peak Ridge for My 46er Finish!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations on your finish Debmonster!! I love your trip reports and glad you got to do the traverse. I tried to arrange a cab a few years ago to meet us in the Roaring Brook lot very early in the morning, and take us to New Russia but it never showed up so we did the out and back from RB. My wife sprained her knee pretty badly coming back so we descended very carefully and slowly, and along came a woman with her dog. We chatted a while, and the woman just motored on past us, but the dog kept looking back to check on us for a lot of the descent. That dog really helped get us down the mountain that day.

Comment

• debmonster
      debmonster commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the kind words, and I love the dog story. It reminds me of a day when I was doing a backpack trip in Virginia over Thanksgiving weekend in 2009. Let's just say that a wonderful Border Collie got me through that day. Hopefully, you'll get the chance to try the traverse at some point.

Congrats on the finish! I am so jealous of all the finishers this year. At my current pace I have about 1.5 years and 16 to go.

Comment

• debmonster
      debmonster commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! It took me a while, since I wasn't really "working" on the list until just a few years ago. I hiked my first 3 high peaks (Dix, Blake, Sawteeth) in 2008 and just kept coming back to explore the area. I started 2016 with 16 peaks to go, so your pace sounds just about right. I hope that you get to really enjoy each hike, and look forward to reading about your future adventures.

Congrats, Debmonster!!! Great report, and I like your choice of peak on which to finish...possibly because I've also chosen it as my own, whenever that day may come Hopefully it was just a temporary trick knee and nothing long term! I had a throbbing knee issue pop up on me during my recent drive from the Allen trailhead to Corey's Road, but when I stopped for gas in Long Lake it completely disappeared and didn't bother me at all afterward.

Comment

• debmonster
      debmonster commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I'm so glad that I chose Giant and RPR for the last 2 peaks. Very pleasant walking. Not too difficult, but still a bit challenging here and there. Excellent scenery, and still beautiful even in the fog. I wish you good times on your future hikes and hope to send you congrats one of these days.

CONGRATULATIONS! Great finish, loved reading it!
    ADK 46/46W, Grid 232/552
    Photos & Stuff

Comment

• debmonster
      debmonster commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I really appreciate it. I plan to come back this year, but won't be able to until winter, so I'll have to hike vicariously through your reports and photos until then.

Congrats! Great read too! For round two, the reverse traverse may be a lot, but if the weather is nice it's fantastic.

Comment

• debmonster
      debmonster commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I'm always up for a hike that rhymes.

Congratulations Debbie! I'm simultaneously proud and jealous of you. How many winters do you have left? Lmk if you need help sewing all those patches on all your packs. Hopefully we'll get a chance to hike together again one day.
    ---------------
    http://QuixoticJedi.com
    \m/(>.<)\m/ Peakbagger.com Page

35R #1819/733W
    CHH: 46/102
    Grid: 254/420 (20/35 for July)
    ADK: 25/46

Originally posted by Kahlil Gibran
    Sayings remain meaningless until they are embodied in habits.

Comment

• debmonster
      debmonster commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much for all of your enthusiasm and inspiration! I'm not really sure if I would have embraced "the list" without you and Valerie to share it with. We should definitely make some plans to go hiking soon.

If Ted can post so can I, so once again, well done. Glad to see you enjoyed the journey, which is paramount to any list.

Comment

• debmonster
      debmonster commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jim! It's been a very fun process of discovery. New places, new friends, new challenges, and new things that I've learned about myself along the way. I hope we get to hike together again one of these days.

Ah a reunion!

Congrats Deb, you definitely are a monster!
    Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO Views And Brews!

Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

Comment

• debmonster
      debmonster commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha, thanks! A bit less so these days, but this whole experience has been a monster of fun.

Congratulations. I hope your knee issue resolves itself quickly and I also look forward to more trip reports, now that you're "list-less".

Comment

• debmonster
      debmonster commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I'm fairly sure that if hike more often and train consistently, my legs will get stronger and the knee pain should hopefully not return.

Great choice for a fall finish.

Comment

• debmonster
      debmonster commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I hope to repeat the hike at least once in every season.

Congrats! great job!
    Nothing like being in the woods.

http://www.gerardsadirondackpics.shutterfly.com

Comment

• debmonster
      debmonster commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Gerard! I hope to be reading more of your trip reports in the future as well.
Working...
X