Hurricane Mountain and Fire Tower 10/6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Mountain and Fire Tower 10/6

A small group from the NY/ NJ chapter of AMC organized a holiday weekend of hiking in the Adirondacks, so I thought I'd join the fun. Early on Friday morning, I took the bus across the GW bridge to join my car pool. A very pleasant 4.5 hours later, we were at the Hurricane trail head on 9N. What a lovely trail! The climbing was moderate, the trail was in decent shape, the leaves were turning in color, and the open rocks at the expansive summit provided dozens of photo opportunities. Our group of 6 took turns climbing the tower, but the view was a bit limited by approaching clouds. Still, a big reward in scenery for a fairly short hike. The hike back down went smoothly, and we were back at the cars just in time for the sun to return. I didn't folow the clock too closely, but we began at 1pm and ended around 4pm.

A perfect start to the weekend!
    We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing ~ Satchel Paige

Nice report! I'm glad you enjoyed Hurricane.

(The evening before, I had recommended Hurricane to a couple, and I am hoping that they were able to hike and enjoy it on 10/6. This was a Canadian couple in my age range (60s); short folks, with strong British accents. They would have been coming down the trail about the time you were going up. Did you happen to notice them? I don't know them personally, but it would be gratifying to discover whether they enjoyed my recommended hike... Thanks!)

Comment

• debmonster
      debmonster commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry, I don't remember seeing them, but there were a fair number people on the trail, so it's certainly possible that we crossed paths. I'm sure that if they did the hike, they were grateful for your recommendation. It's a beauty!

That is a great hike. I love the re-route they did (a few years ago now).
    Last edited by NumNum; 10-11-2017, 04:23 AM.
    If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled ~ Red Skelton

Comment

I haven't been to Hurricane for a long while and not since the new trail work.
      How was the fire tower.
      Don

Comment

• debmonster
        debmonster commented
        Editing a comment
        The tower was in good shape and could comfortably fit about 4 people, though they list the capacity at 6. The one caution I'll include is that there is some chicken wire near some of the railings on the upper levels that could take a bite out of you if you're not careful.

Very nice reroute
      Wife loves this trail
      GREAT summit
      Glad they left and then rehabbed fire tower.
      1 fall day I hiked it and there was a DEC ranger doing survey to keep fire tower
      I voted yes, and asked what the tally was. This was on a Sunday and from the 100's of hikers one vote against.

Comment

• debmonster
        debmonster commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice! I can't believe that anyone would vote against keeping the tower - go figure. If I lived closer, this would be my "backyard" hike - after work, on busy days, etc. What a gem!

It's a great opportunity for point-to-point hikes, since all three trailheads are readily reachable from NY9N. I especially like the trail from the east.
      Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
      2nd round: 16
      SL6r #596
      Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

Working...
      X