Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mount Adams fire tower - great High Peaks views - steep rocky muddy hike of 8-8-2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mount Adams fire tower - great High Peaks views - steep rocky muddy hike of 8-8-2017

On Tuesday (August 8, 2017) I hiked to the Mount Adams fire tower.

It rained the day before making mud bogs on many portions of the typically dry trail from the bridge over the Hudson River to Lake Jimmy.

The trail to Mt. Adams which starts just a few hundred feet past the observer’s cabin is a nice easy trek until 2400 ft. elevation when it then begins to get steeper.

Mount Adams fire tower observers cabin

At 2700 ft. there is a steep slide that water was cascading over the entire rock slab making it difficult to safely continue up through this section at the time. I almost turned around.

One of several slides

Beyond this point it is hiking up drainage paths which are steep, rocky, tree roots and mud.

I have to give the fire tower observer a lot of credit to have hiked up this path every day.
    Arriving at the fire tower and climbing up into the open cab was a real treat.

The views of the high peaks and for 360 degrees around looking at the Adirondacks was in my opinion one of the better views that I have seen from the 25 fire towers that I have visited.

Colden, Cliff, Marcy, Skylight, Redfield, Allen

Mount Marcy from Mount Adams fire tower

It is a more strenuous hike than the other fire towers but the great views of the High Peaks make it all worth it. Enjoy, Jim
    Jim at Mount Adams fire tower
    Last edited by Jim Kennard; 08-28-2017, 05:00 PM.
    ADK 44/46 (Remaining: Cliff, Redfield)
    CHH 102/102 #33
    Catskill 3500 #1888 / #774W
    Saranac 6er #590
    ADK/Catskill Fire Tower Challenge 26/23

ADK member: Genesee Valley Chapter
    The Explorers Club member: Fellow National 2013

Websites:
    www.shipwreckworld.com Rare Sailing Craft Found in Lake Ontario - posted 11/25/2016
    www.jimkennard.com
    ...Peak Experiences of a Catskill Senior Hiker
    Catskill 100 Highest - February 23, 2016

​Fire Tower Challenge - July 20, 2016

"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves."
    - Sir Edmund Hillary

Glad you enjoyed the view from the tower. I was up there a couple weeks ago for my 43rd ascent of Adams and as much as I love the payoff that last 1/2 mile never gets any easier.
    If they ever really want the section of logging road that becomes bootsucking to dry out some more bog bridging would be in order. We did the planks on the new section around Lake Jimmy and while far from perfect the resulting revegetation has made a huge difference in water absorption.
    "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
    Ed Viesturs

Comment

I have now updated this post with embedded pics along with the trip report. Enjoy
      ADK 44/46 (Remaining: Cliff, Redfield)
      CHH 102/102 #33
      Catskill 3500 #1888 / #774W
      Saranac 6er #590
      ADK/Catskill Fire Tower Challenge 26/23

ADK member: Genesee Valley Chapter
      The Explorers Club member: Fellow National 2013

Websites:
      www.shipwreckworld.com Rare Sailing Craft Found in Lake Ontario - posted 11/25/2016
      www.jimkennard.com
      ...Peak Experiences of a Catskill Senior Hiker
      Catskill 100 Highest - February 23, 2016

​Fire Tower Challenge - July 20, 2016

"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves."
      - Sir Edmund Hillary

Comment

We loved Adams on a beautiful fall day last year. It's a nice hike. Proud to be one of the last people to have stepped on the Lake Jimmy bridges a few years ago. Hope to one day get more involved with the trail crew for Adams. It was a fun day.
        HPHikingmoo

Comment

Jim, that wet rock with the tree on it was the section where my wife wanted to turn around as well. Scary! ADKJack thanks for the bog bridging! I know how much I appreciated it when I did Adams and later Allen!

Comment

Nice report, we did Allen a few weeks ago and were wondering what Adams was like. I couldn't understand why the floating bridge was built across lake jimmy in the first place. Seemed like a lot of unnecessary work and hardware when the walk around only took about 5 minutes.

Comment

• gebby
              gebby commented
              Editing a comment
              I can only imagine that the end of the lake where the trail goes now was previously marshy, muddy and wet and that only changed with trail work that was done after the bridge was washed away by Hurricane Irene and they decided not to replace it.

• ADKJack
              ADKJack commented
              Editing a comment
              The original bridge was constructed in the early 1900's and was just the continuation of the road. It was used during the mining and logging days. When taking the new trail the old logging road you pick up actually used to continue north but the beavers turned that into the marsh you see now.

• Runty
              Runty commented
              Editing a comment
              ADKJack Interesting. Where do you find out this kind of information?
          Working...
          X