Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allen Mountain Trail Report

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen Mountain Trail Report

High Peak: Allen Mountain
    Date: 7/9/2017
    Time: 6:15am departure
    Trailhead: East River Trail from Upper Works

This trail is long and wet, as many have noted in other posts, but that should not be a deterring factoring. I think this trail offers a number of fun challenges, a variety of trail characteristics, and some memorable vistas that any hiker would enjoy and find rewarding.

The day before I hiked Allen, some pretty good thunderstorms rolled through the Adirondacks. So, right off the bat, I prepared for a wet path. Looking at the topo map, the change in elevation from the trail head right to Allen's base is very subtle. Without many opportunities for runoff, the water stays largely in the trail. The good news is that you can circumvent a lot of the bog by breaking trail occasionally. You'll even see some lightly trod paths through the trees along the periphery of the trail.

Whereas hikers like to avoid wet boots, the frogs love it! As I'm hopping rocks over the water, you could see them doing froggy breaststroke beneath the surface. It's definitely the most I've seen on a trail. With that said, be ready for a number of stream crossings. Of course there are the really nice bridges over the Hudson and Opalescence rivers but there are also many streams and tributaries you'll cross finding their way to the ponds. If there is a lot of rain, these streams may require a little more careful negotiating.

If you embark on the trail early in the morning, before the sun has had time to dry out the morning dew, be prepared to get wet! The trail can get very narrow to the point where I found myself often hiking in a slightly crouched position. A good portion of the early trail is on the logging road, which is flat and non-descript. Well, almost non-descript, I did come upon a large doe, taller than me, just hanging out in the path. She didn't move till I was about 15 feet away. I didn't want to scare her with my camera. But there is also a few miles of trail where the path may be less than a foot wide, with shin-high grasses and pricker bushes, thigh high saplings, and shoulder high conifers. By the time I got to the base of the mountain, my body was more wet than my feet.

Quick note: because of the grasses, I did "tick-check" pretty often and reapplied repellant on the way back as a precautionary measure. The flies and mosquitoes weren't bad at all. But after reading about a possible rise in lyme disease, I didn't want to risk it.

From the base of the mountain, which I considered to be the Allen Brook waterfall, the hike to the summit was pretty much a consistent climb. As other posts noted, these rocks can be slippery. It can also be confusing to find the best path up. What I found, though, was that there is some trail maintenance here as felled trees across the trail were cut. My tip is keep an eye out for these cut trees (there are many) and you'll get a pretty good indication of where to go. The way down this portion of the hike was my favorite. You have the gorgeous vista in front of Mt. Adams and the Santanoni Range. Honestly, I felt like a kid. But, take it slow!

My last note on the trail is that the base of the mountain is farther than you think. If you expect it be "just up ahead," you'll probably be disappointed. It's more than a few up-aheads away. So, take your time and enjoy the ponds, the marshes, and the other challenges. Keep an eye out for this really great tree a few hours in that loops vertically like a twisty straw.

Finally, this is my first post and I just want to thank the team behind the forum and the foundation. I've been exploring a number of new trails this summer and the reports from all the different members have been very useful. Hopefully my recollections can pay it forward. Thanks, guys!

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for posting your report.
    We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing ~ Satchel Paige

Comment

My boys and I are doing Allen tomorrow. 7-16-2017. We did Cliff and Redfield two weeks ago and it was extremely muddy! So to prepare, I'm trying to get familiar with all the markers along the way. So it sounds like the bridges across the Hudson and Opelasence are in working order? I've been reading many decriptions of the trail and I guess if I read an old report, they are out. If someone could let me know the conditions of the markers and what to look for that would be great.

THanks!
      The mountains are calling and I must go.

John Muir

Or maybe I'll just let that go to voicemail...

John Moore

Comment

Bridges are fine.

The East River Trail is marked with yellow DEC disks (switches to red disks beyond the EastRiver/Allen junction).

​The Allen Mountain Trail is not marked (but you may find the occasional unofficial yellow disk along the way).

Detailed description of the route can be found here: http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/wiki/AllenMountain

Good luck!
        Looking for Views!

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
          Bridges are fine.

The East River Trail is marked with yellow DEC disks (switches to red disks beyond the EastRiver/Allen junction).

​The Allen Mountain Trail is not marked (but you may find the occasional unofficial yellow disk along the way).

Detailed description of the route can be found here: http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/wiki/AllenMountain

Good luck!

Awesome! Thanks! This will be #40 for us. We're planning to do three remaining Sewards on the following weekend and plan to finish the 46 on HA BA SA mid August. Woo hoo! It's taken us 8 fun years, but the goal is in site.

John Muir

John Moore

Comment

For sure check out the detailed description link Trail Boss recommended. I printed out the "Milestones; Unmarked Trail" section of the description and brought it with me. It was on the money. Have a good hike, JMoore. I'll send you out a fist pump from the Dix Range tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Markowicz View Post

For sure check out the detailed description link Trail Boss recommended. I printed out the "Milestones; Unmarked Trail" section of the description and brought it with me. It was on the money. Have a good hike, JMoore. I'll send you out a fist pump from the Dix Range tomorrow.

Good deal!

John Muir

John Moore

Comment

Thanks for the updated info. I'm planning on Allen (#31) for the 22nd.Can I get a solid confirmation that the bridge across the Opalescent is repaired and in good shape? No need to wade across it? I just want to prepare accordingly.
                Thanks in advance

Comment

Bridges are fine.

Good luck!
                  What? No mention of the World's Most Lonely Thunder Box? I recall it was about halfway to Skylight Brook from the sandpit, but it has been a few years.

Comment

• Trail Boss
                    Trail Boss commented
                    Editing a comment

I have a waypoint for it but didn't bother to include it in OpenStreetMap.

As a toilet, its proximity to the trail makes it only suitable for exhibitionists.
                    As a milestone, its not always easily spotted.

• Jonathan Markowicz
                    Jonathan Markowicz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Haha! I missed this! Next time...

Another unnamed online "service" mentions that microspikes would be a good addition to the descent, due to current conditions. Any validation? Or extra unnecessary weight? (the spikes, not the site)

Comment

• Trail Boss
                    Trail Boss commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That style of ice-creeper has the unfortunate habit of shedding its little yellow grippers. They're held in place by friction and, given enough force, they pop out. Come spring, you find them on the trail (i.e. litter).

• WeHikeForMike
                    WeHikeForMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mine are a slightly different (older design) and have held up well over the years. I have only ever used them down low (Buck, Black etc) when I expected to see as much rock as ice. I wonder if they've changed the design of them as mine are wore almost to the nub and are still all in tact. But again, they are 15+ years old at least.

• Momster
                    Momster commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We used them on the descent this past Saturday and they were great. My daughters had the Kahtoolas and I used the Yaktrax Icebreakers (or something like that) which are less aggressive but very effective.

TB yeah exactly....and thanks for the milestones link, will definately use that in a couple weeks. JM you mention trail maintainence and following the cut trees, makes sense, on the slide stay, left, right, middle, in the trees, by the trees, any recommendations? Appreciate your report above!

Comment

• Jonathan Markowicz
                    Editing a comment
                    Go through the cut trees. Just like on a maintained trail where a crew will come along and cut the tree that fell across the path on both sides to make an opening...same thing.

Originally posted by Hoser View Post
                  TB yeah exactly....and thanks for the milestones link, will definately use that in a couple weeks. JM you mention trail maintainence and following the cut trees, makes sense, on the slide stay, left, right, middle, in the trees, by the trees, any recommendations? Appreciate your report above!
                  IIRC it was start right, then cross to left about halfway up- was pretty apparent. Then becomes a root-climbing exercise to the summit ridge.

Comment

Sounds fun. Plan to use sneakers for the first 5+ miles then change into real footwear, unless someone on here tells me too much mud for that this year.

Comment

Sounds fun. Plan to use sneakers for the first 5+ miles then change into real footwear, unless someone on here tells me too much mud for that this year.
                      Sneakers aren't real footwear? I'm in worn down trail runners all summer. Boots don't buy you anything.
                      ADK 46/46W, Grid 228/552
                      Photos & Stuff

Comment

Way too much mud! The boys and I did it on Sunday. We had a great time, but it was tough! The guide posted by TrailBoss was awesome and on point. Overall, I found the trail pretty obvious and easy to follow, especially for those with experience with "unmarked" trails. Really, the toughest part for me was the steep accent after the 8.5 miles out to the waterfall on Allen brook. Basically 2000+ feet in less than .8 mile. STEEP and SLIPPERY! I fell and busted my butt several times. Not fun.

JM - I hope you saw my fist pump from Dix! I was thinking about you when we were on the summit of Allen! We hit #40. Next weekend is the three remaining peaks on the Seward range. (We've done Seymore) See all you homeys out there.

Thanks all guys.

John Muir

John Moore

Comment

• Jonathan Markowicz
                          Editing a comment
                          Sure did man! Thought the same thing from Dix. I'll be on Gray/Skylight/Marcy tomorrow.

• JMoore
                          JMoore commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Awesome. Then fist pump from Seward tomorrow. Good luck!
                      Working...
                      X