Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allen, Marshall, Iroquois, Algonquin, #46 Wright 6/1-4/17

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The McMartin map is probably not entirely wrong just that, over the years, the final stretch (~150 feet?) to the summit has curved towards the Herbert Brook Trail. Based on my (admittedly limited) experience, it's easier to follow the curve towards HBT than head directly to the summit.

https://opentopomap.org/#map=17/44.12811/-74.00951

When I first asked, people explained the Marshall trail ended directly at the summit (the 3-4' foot ledge I described earlier). I've tried, albeit half-heartedly, to find this direct path but was unsuccessful. From the ledge, I went northwest for several feet and it led to a lousy lookout followed by a steep drop. I descended a bit, following what appeared to be evidence of some foot traffic, but it grew faint. I lost interest and backtracked.

Similarly, when approaching from Cold Brook Pass, the path of least resistance funneled me towards the HBT. The extra effort to get up over an intervening ~6-7' ledge, to complete the final ~150' to the summit, seems like too much work ... and so the beaten path curves south and connects with the HBT.
    Looking for Views!

Comment

• bfinan0
      bfinan0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Which would explain all the little remnants of paths to nowhere that still seem to exist W and NW of the summit itself. One of them I followed might even be yours, going over the lousy lookout and steep drop, there were certainly plenty of both of those to be found where I was.

Can't find summit of Marshall but thought Shep. Tooth would be a good idea. Pure covfefe...
    Adopt a natural resource. Give back.

Comment

• FlyFishingandBeer
      FlyFishingandBeer commented
      Editing a comment
      How many peaks does it take to BE a 46'r? That's a question only you can answer. Every 46'r I know personally doesn't care all that much about the patch and roster number, and have made hundreds of summits and don't ever plan to stop. Many of us have done multiple rounds and haven't even sent our info in to register.

• bfinan0
      bfinan0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Do I look like I want to be here, taking question after question, ten days after I got back from what I thought, and still think, is my finish? I'm a 46er and I'd really prefer if this thing would go away, and soon. Would I have spent two nights writing 6000 words worth of trip report if I wanted to hide anything? No, I wanted everyone to know what I went through and get as much of an inside view as possible of my final journey to 46. Would I have been so transparent about my previous failures too, if that were the case? When I got rescued, that was immensely embarrassing, and I still wrote about it here, the only surprise was that the peaks didn't count after I had previously ascertained with the rangers that they did, but I still admitted exactly what happened.

• bfinan0
      bfinan0 commented
      Editing a comment
      FlyFishingandBeer ehh that's a question of semantics - I meant to become a 46r, of course to be one, the answer is more than 46 and probably less than 552 (the Grid deserves its own recognition just for sheer dedication and grit). I'm probably not going to be back in the High Peaks for a while just because of the difficulty of getting there. But there are many that I would climb over and over again if they were more available to me.

How to avoid questions on summits.

Comment

• Trail Boss
      Trail Boss commented
      Editing a comment
      Curses! Foiled by the forum's "images must be no large than a postage stamp". Both the hiker and the mountain remain anonymous in that shot.

• gebby
      gebby commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll e-mail it to you. You probably figured out it was me and Marshall.

Originally posted by FF&B
    Many of us have done multiple rounds and haven't even sent our info in to register.
    True story.
    Adopt a natural resource. Give back.

Comment

I think most of us appreciate that being a 46er is not about a badge or a piece of paper. Only the individual can know in his/her own hiking soul whether or not the status is legitimate. You don't need someone else to tell you, except to be able to get the badge and the paper. I agree that the standard being applied to Bill's finish is not the same as that applied to all others. In my opinion, he has done enough to qualify.

Comment

Hell of a hike and report. Congrats!

Comment

One of the best trip logs...ever. Cheers
          www.brandtbolding.com

Comment

• bfinan0
            bfinan0 commented
            Editing a comment
            Although maybe I should stick to writing, not climbing, in the future haha

Well congrats on finishing a task.

You can surely understand why, after posting for so long about being 46*/46 but then actually turning out to have completed only 45, or 44, or 41, that people are suspicious. To then not take pictures of Allen's summit sign (and, strangely, not mentioning it either) and then to not take pictures of Marshall's sign...well, it seems deliberate. But I'm glad that you finally have some peace about it.
          ADK 46/46W, Grid 218/552
          Photos & Stuff

Comment

• Trail Boss
            Trail Boss commented
            Editing a comment
            Without struggle/toil/effort, no learning/knowledge.

Except it (sort of) rhymes in Russian.

• bfinan0
            bfinan0 commented
            Editing a comment
            Я не говорю по-русски, in case you couldn't tell...

• Trail Boss
            Trail Boss commented
            Editing a comment
            Me neither. In this isolated case, the words were close enough to Ukrainian for me to grasp the meaning.

It's all хорошо! Or "horrorshow" in Nadsat.

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/App...ockwork_Orange

Congratulations on your finish sir! I think you may be the first person to quote wookiefoot in a high peaks trip report. I hope you make it to the banquet and encourage you to give back to the mountains that have given you so much adventure!
          Crepuscular Rays: Dissolve into evergreens

There's always gonna be another mountain
          I'm always gonna wanna make it move
          Always gonna be an uphill battle
          Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
          Ain't about how fast I get there
          Ain't about what's waitin' on the other side...
          It's the climb
          -Miley Cyrus

Comment

• bfinan0
            bfinan0 commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe, but is it not just about perfect adventuring music? Especially their last two albums?

• Crepuscular
            Crepuscular commented
            Editing a comment
            I've seen them live a few times but haven't heard their albums. I'll check em out, thanks!

• bfinan0
            bfinan0 commented
            Editing a comment
            Where on earth do you live that you can both climb Adirondacks and see Wookiefoot live? Last I knew they haven't been east of Minnesota in many years...
        Working...
        X