Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Algonquin, Iroquois & Wright Peaks, 15 April 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Algonquin, Iroquois & Wright Peaks, 15 April 2017

Just a beautiful day on the MacIntyres. There wasn't much of an early rush, but we did pass several groups after noon. (Since it started raining at 3:30PM, too bad for the late sleepers!)

We used snowshoes above the Wright junction to Algonquin, except for the last 0.2 miles which were clear rock. After descending the south side, we switched back into snowshoes. Just before Iroquois we switched into Hillsounds and kept those on the rest of the day.

Lots of snow still heading to Iroquois, it was quite nice. No postholing, there is a solid spine. Only two other groups all day had snowshoes, one guy with skis.

Below 2,800 feet there was far less snow & ice at 3:00PM than at 7:30AM. I would suspect that this rain is going to get rid of the rest.
    ADK 46/46W, Grid 228/552
    Photos & Stuff

I thought I saw you!

​Just kidding. I was on Street and Nye today and saw teeny-tiny silhouettes atop Algonquin.

​Ditto. Out by 2:30 PM to avoid the showers. Although it's not like I don't get a bit wet from fording Indian Pass Brook. Dang, that water's cold!

Looking for Views!

Comment

• autochromatica
      autochromatica commented
      Editing a comment
      That was our other option! Would have been nice to cross paths, but our trio was prettier.

• Trail Boss
      Trail Boss commented
      Editing a comment
      I was the only person to sign-in for S&N today. I didn't just have the summits to myself but the whole darn trail.

You made the right choice. Excellent weather (in the morning) for a 4K summit.

S&N were on April's list (WAI is done). I've almost always hiked those two on crappy weather days and that seems unfair. There are some decent views from S&N. Besides, I was in not in the mood for the other list choices ... like Cliff and Redfield.

Trail Boss
    Although it's not like I don't get a bit wet from fording Indian Pass Brook. Dang, that water's cold!
    I managed to cross on a tenuous ice bridge, possibly on its last day - April 1, no fooling. At least you won't have to go back in April, unless you really, really want to.

Comment

• Trail Boss
      Trail Boss commented
      Editing a comment
      After re-crossing the brook, I walked along the trail, found a spot with a view of a tiny island in the brook and stopped to eat lunch. I saw a promising stretch of boulders upstream. After lunch I put my boots back on and checked out the boulders. I was able to rock-hop the brook in a matter of seconds with hardly any effort (i.e. no leaps of faith or sketchy footing). I feel the water could rise a half-foot and it would remain a viable crossing.

Is there any sort of established camping areas around the trail junction to Wright Peak? Or at any point along the route towards Algonquin, Boundary, and Iroquois? Looking to make that trek an over-nighter...

Comment

Originally posted by rootmode View Post
      Is there any sort of established camping areas around the trail junction to Wright Peak? Or at any point along the route towards Algonquin, Boundary, and Iroquois? Looking to make that trek an over-nighter...
      All the places you described lie above an elevation of 3500 feet where camping is not permitted.

You are allowed to primitive-camp below 3500' provided you select a spot that is at least 150 feet from trails, water sources, lean-tos, etc.

A complete list of DEC regulations and guidelines can be found here:
      http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=23488

There is only one DEC designated campsite along the way to Algonquin (starting from ADK Loj) and that's near MacIntyre Falls.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=4...5923/-73.97889
      Looking for Views!

Comment

Working...
      X