Mt. Marshall finally yields its fruits 1/7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mt. Marshall finally yields its fruits 1/7

Well, okay, Mt. Marshall doesn't have the world's best view but we needed to climb it and knew it would not be easy given the fact that no one has summitted in a while (someone made it about 15 minutes and gave up shy if the top). We brought a big group of 6 hardy hikers (Fiddlehead, Toni, Donna, Joyce and Heather) as we knew there would be trailfinding/trailbreaking. It was minus 8 degrees at Upper Works as we started at 6:45am under headlamps. We wore micros for the first 90 minute or so although you could have worn snowshoes from the get go. LOTS OF SNOW.

The going was easier with snowshoes for sure - I forgot how lovely this section of trail is - it had been awhile. 2 hours and 10 minutes or so later, we reached the 4.5 mile sign - we were going to cut across flowed lands but with no tracks and not being sure if that stream part would be frozen, we opted to do the .9 to the leanto on the marked trail which has a few rolling ups and downs but isn't bad (not a fan of drowning in cold water). Though the herd path was easy to find and had tracks for part of the 1.5 miles, those tracks ended about halfway up with only a faint bed. At some point, we lost the herd path (I think this is where many lose it) and took what I believe Andrew Lavigne called the "left side bushwhack." Let's just say the snow is DEEP - like 4-5 feet. That section took us quite awhile even with 6 people with some trailfinding. It was hard work. 6 hours later, we summited. On the way down, it was easy to see where we missed the "right hand" herd path so we went down hill and broke a nice easy trail there. When we got back to the point we branched off, we put branches to "x" out the left side bushwhack although have at it if you want a super steep section to summit. Though it took 6 hours to get there thanks to trailbreaking/finding, it only took 3.5 back to the car, maybe a few minutes under. We passed a couple hiking UP late in the day. Oddly, the had NO SNOWSHOES (said a ranger had told them they needed them, which they for sure would have, but then they continued? Hmmmm. 1 tiny pack between them as they left one other hanging and a can of Coke - hope they packed that out. Not sure if they made it as even with our nice track, micros were a poor choice given the sheer amount of snow.

We had some blue skies early on but flurries on top. In the last picture you can DIMLY make out Iroquois' shadow from the top of the herd path ridge.

Marshall seems pretty gradual as you climb, but going down, for some reason it seemed like there were a ton of steep sections. Beautiful snow all around. By far the most snow I've seen. Due to cold temps, it was easy to move around/grip. Though there was no trail to speak of, I suspect anyone in the coming weeks will have an easy to follow trail so if Marshall is on your list, grab the highway....

https://goo.gl/photos/JXNegEzvtzWkzgvv7
    46R (#7146) ADK, 46W
    48 (NH 4000) + winter
    NE 115 (#706)
    NE Winter 115 (#82)

Great job, nice photos, snow indeed looks monster. I may take your offer and do this tomorrow.
    Catskill 3500 #1783
    Catskill 3500w 28/35
    46r 46/46 #8092
    46w 20/46

Comment

• Aspiring HP Queen
      Aspiring HP Queen commented
      Editing a comment
      let me know how it goes! It should be speedy!

Great Job. We are headed there tomorrow. A big thank you for breaking it out!

Comment

• Aspiring HP Queen
      Editing a comment
      For sure - glad we had a big group - it should be a breeze - hope you get some views!

Your work was fantastic, JoeCedar and I made short work of it today.

FYI -- The bare-booters you saw made it to the summit, and in the process made a mess of the top quarter mile or so with nasty postholes. But otherwise it looks great.
    ADK 46/46W, Grid 235/552
    Photos & Stuff

Comment

• Aspiring HP Queen
      Editing a comment
      So annoying - even with our track, micros were a bad idea - there was SO MUCH SNOW - I bet with the rain it was much more packed down?

It was another great day out with you, AHPQ! And glad we had a great group of 6 to go for it. Very aggravating about the barebooters and not surprised that they created a lot of postholes in our great track.

Comment

Queen, Fiddlehead, and coworkers: you did an outstanding job on Marshall! I expect this path will survive all winter (except for excursions into the brook when the snow deepens).

Comment

• Aspiring HP Queen
        Editing a comment
        happy to help Joe - we have to keep you to your speed record!!!

like a herd of elephants - I wish that had been the case with dix/Hough - for some reason the forum deleted my post - -what's up with that?!
      46R (#7146) ADK, 46W
      48 (NH 4000) + winter
      NE 115 (#706)
      NE Winter 115 (#82)

Comment

Originally posted by Aspiring HP Queen View Post
        ... for some reason the forum deleted my post - -what's up with that?!
        That's happened to me a couple of times and then it magically reappears.

Comment

• Aspiring HP Queen
          Editing a comment
          Well, I just reposted it but I can't see the other comments I didn't have a chance to read- hmmm. It said posted by guest, but it wasn't - I posted it.
          Hmmmm

• Thomas
          Thomas commented
          Editing a comment
          You can try sending a message to admin - they may not have noticed the error.
      Working...
      X