Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

April 30th - Allen Mt.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MTVhike View Post
    Where are the photos?
    I think Neil deleted the link because there were photos that showed hikers crossing the closed bridge (which is illegal).

On a related note, doing so on a hike up Allen might mean the ascent wouldn't count towards the 46: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthrea...ver-the-Hudson!

Comment

Perhaps the OP acquired written permission to cross private land and the posted bridge. I doubt it.

I asked myself "If I was a 46er correspondent, what would I say about a reported hike that included trespassing?". The answer is I'd never learn about it from the report because, for obvious reasons, the trespassing part would be left out. The fact it was reported here suggests either indifference or blindness to the infraction. Either way, I feel it represents conduct unbecoming of a 46er aspirant.
      Looking for Views!

Comment

I think it should be the responsibility of any hiker, whether 46er, or not to have knowledge beforehand of regulations and routes.

I’m not perfect, I did find myself “zoned out” and wandering south of Lake Sally on my way back from Allen, but at least I knew I was in the wrong place and turned around.

From the 46er Bylaws, Section 3: Responsibilities of membership:

“In addition, members are expected to:

1) Place safety first and foremost. This includes their own safety, that of members in their party, and especially that of children and others dependent upon them, and that of other hikers on the trail.

2) Obey the rules and regulations and other laws. They should comply with regulations with respect to group size, camping, and campfires, including DEC pronouncements concerning snowshoes and limitation of hiking during mud season. Hikers should respect the rights of private property owners.

3) Follow the principles of Carry In/Carry Out, Walk Softly, and Leave No Trace. They should not do anything which will damage or deface the natural environment or objects of historical importance.

A failure to abide by these responsibilities may lead to the loss of membership through action of the Executive Committee.”
        Last edited by Snav3; 05-07-2012, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Sorry, but this strikes me as much ado about nothing. The bridge is closed, not the river. And it's only gettin' warmer...

Comment

It's much ado about respecting the rules of the ADK 46ers and local laws. The trail to Allen is not closed to the public but the bridge and the lands south of Allen are. Everyone can experience a challenging hike to Allen without the need to trespass on private land or a posted bridge.

I believe becoming a 46er transcends the accomplishment of ascending 46 peaks. It is journey that reveals things about yourself and nature.

If by your 46th peak you're still littering, post-holing, camping wherever you please, pissing in streams, trodding on alpine vegetation, bear-bagging your food and making campfires (in the Eastern High Peaks), or trespassing, then you missed the point of what it means to be a ADK 46er; the goal is not to become a 46er in numerical achievement and nothing more.

Even if one doesn't subscribe to this interpretation of being a 46er, trespassing is simply illegal and will not win you the admiration of your peers if the landowners choose to close their property to the public.
            Looking for Views!

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
              It's much ado about respecting the rules of the ADK 46ers and local laws.
              Not suggesting otherwise. Only saying that a legal crossing of the river was and is provided, to be used instead of the bridge. Aside from being illegal (well, in the same sense that postholing is illegal), crossing that tenuous bridge is pretty foolish as well. With the weather getting warmer and river levels dropping, how hard will it be to ford the river?

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
                If by your 46th peak you're still littering, post-holing, camping wherever you please, pissing in streams, trodding on alpine vegetation, bear-bagging your food and making campfires (in the Eastern High Peaks), or trespassing, then you missed the point of what it means to be a ADK 46er; the goal is not to become a 46er in numerical achievement and nothing more.
                You forgot taking your dog on the trail without being on a leash.
                Enjoying the journey with my favorite hiking partner.
                Please visit ADKGurl's Blog: 46-High-Peaks

Comment

Originally posted by DackerDan View Post
                  Yeh, while many ignore this rule completely its only really in effect in relatively few places.

Its the dogs pissing in streams off of closed bridges on private property that really irratates me.
                  I know it sounds corny, man, but I like to bring folks joy, and I like to have a good time. I know folks like to be with somebody who's having a good time. You sure as hell don't want to be with somebody who's having a bad day.
                  -WJ

Comment

There have been people on the trails that should've been leashed as well... ... Just thinking of all the stolen property from lean-tos, campsites and vehicles.
                    “Keep close to Nature's heart...and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.”
                    -John Muir

ADK 46-R 7090W
                    Saranac Lake 6er (3x) 11U, UW
                    Catskill 3500 2265; 921W

Comment

Originally posted by Teleskier View Post
                      Not suggesting otherwise. Only saying that a legal crossing of the river was and is provided, to be used instead of the bridge. Aside from being illegal (well, in the same sense that postholing is illegal), crossing that tenuous bridge is pretty foolish as well. With the weather getting warmer and river levels dropping, how hard will it be to ford the river?
                      IIRC, the bridge was taken out by the spring floods last year, not by Irene?? So, plenty of people figured out the river crossings last spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Photobug65 View Post
                        There have been people on the trails that should've been leashed as well... .
                        I'm always on a leash when I take my dog on the trail

Comment

Originally posted by Commissionpoint View Post
                          Yeh, while many ignore this rule completely its only really in effect in relatively few places.

Its the dogs pissing in streams off of closed bridges on private property that really irratates me.
                          Not in the High Peaks; according to DEC regs - I just copied this from thier website:
                          "Dogs: Dog owners are reminded that dogs must be leashed in the Eastern High Peaks when on trails, at primitive tent sites, at lean-to sites, everywhere above 4,000 feet, or at other areas where the public congregates. It is recommended dogs be kept leashed in most areas for the safety of your dog, the protection of wildlife and as a courtesy to fellow hikers."

I am not a dog hater but on more than one occasion I have had to fend off someones dog while trying to eat my lunch or had a dog run up to me on a trail not knowing what his intentions were. Although not specifically stated I wish they would bury thier dogs waste as well.
                          Enjoying the journey with my favorite hiking partner.
                          Please visit ADKGurl's Blog: 46-High-Peaks

Comment

I am not a dog hater but on more than one occasion I have had to fend off someones dog while trying to eat my lunch or had a dog run up to me on a trail not knowing what his intentions were. Although not specifically stated I wish they would bury thier dogs waste as well.
                            Well I'm obviously not a dog hater, but I do find it annoying when an loose, uncontrolled dog runs up to mine while on the trail. Especially a problem when my daughter is with me as he gets more protective.

I believe there is a DEC regulation that requires dog owners to remove and bury dog waste from near water, trails and campsites.

Comment

Originally posted by Snav3 View Post
                              IIRC, the bridge was taken out by the spring floods last year, not by Irene?? So, plenty of people figured out the river crossings last spring.
                              Both, actually. The bridge had just been re-opened when Irene came through and knocked it down again!
                              Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs

Comment

I am thinking about organizing the Allen/Adams Mountain Triathalon. Bike From Newcomb to Tahawus, Wade the Hudson, Swim Lake Jimmy and then run to Allen and then a heartbreak hill finish on Mt. Adams.

Seriously folks, enjoy the extra challenges that these two mountains presently have. Wading the river and bushwhacking Lake Jimmy are pretty unique experiences for completing the 46. As Joe H. often says, Have Fun, Be Safe and if I may, Stay off the bridge until it is safe.
                                Last edited by ADKJack; 05-08-2012, 08:35 AM. Reason: spelling
                                "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
                                Ed Viesturs

Comment

Working...
                                X