Dix Range Condtions 4-28-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dix Range Condtions 4-28-12

Hiked the Dix range. Went in clockwise direction. Only bare boots the whole time. Was prepared for snow but snowshoes stayed on the pack all day.
    -State trail to the Beckhorn trail is intermittently wet with running water. Otherwise OK. Bridge next to Slide Brook Leanto had a collapse of two of the three log beams. Got across OK. Handrail is on the broken ones - break in middle. Met a Ranger late in the day who said the bridge will be repaired in the summer.
    - Beckhorn trail at start was free of snow but was icy all the way up. Snow pack from the winter started at the last bump as it leveled before the final ascent to the Beckhorn. Think that's about 4,000 ft. There had been a dusting of snow.
    - Dix Summit Over Beckhorn, Hough, Pough to Carson (S.Dix) - snow spine (not high) and snow all the way. Snow was firm for me. I was early, It was cold, probably high 20F's.
    - Ascent to Hough. At least two spines to follow and a dead end. Still enough snow that you lose the path occasionally.
    - Carson to Grace. Wet snow mostly with bare spots. Passed several groups. Alot of us dropped packs on Carson loaded down with snowshoes for the trip to Grace. Apparently almost everybody was expecting more snow up high.
    - Carson to Macomb. Lots of damage and leaning and blown down trees. Good snow and spine from the col. Ice too.
    - Macomb descent. Pretty icy lots of holding onto trees. Soft melted snow before the slide. Slide just dirt and rocks.

Don

Darn! Slide Brook bridge was holding its own on March 21st during unseasonably warm weather and the resulting high-water. It was a high bridge as well. Must have been an impressive amount of water to take it out.

Many thanks for the detailed report. Surprising to hear how much snow is still lingering despite the feeble winter and early melt.
    Looking for Views!

Comment

My son and his friend did this hike on Saturday too. You might have run into them...two big guys with huge backpacks. They camped along the way, carried their snowshoes and everything, but never used more than microspikes.
      HPHikingmoo

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
        Darn! Slide Brook bridge was holding its own on March 21st during unseasonably warm weather and the resulting high-water. It was a high bridge as well. Must have been an impressive amount of water to take it out.

Many thanks for the detailed report. Surprising to hear how much snow is still lingering despite the feeble winter and early melt.
        Wasn't a washout. Two logs cracked in the middle. Not difficult to cross as you can walk on the logs into and out of the brook. Unless your good at balance beam - it's possible to do that on the third one that's still OK.

It's been cold except for that hot stretch in March. I do like the winter holding on. It's akin to spring skiing (which I like a lot too) except for hikers.

Originally posted by HPHikingMoo View Post
        My son and his friend did this hike on Saturday too. You might have run into them...two big guys with huge backpacks. They camped along the way, carried their snowshoes and everything, but never used more than microspikes.
        I only met/passed people crossing over and back to Grace. I passed what I thought was a bigger group than two carrying large packs. Many including me dropped the packs on Carson. Perhaps they did too.

Don

Comment

Working...
        X