NPT, the river edition...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPT, the river edition...

It is day 8 of my trip, and I am sitting warm and dry at the Long Lake public library. I have never been quite as wet and muddy as I have been this past week. I did the hike with Neil last thursday, thinking that would be all the blowdown I would see for a while--A big mistake. The NPT was not spared from the past October storm, and areas of it have had trees tossed around like matchsticks. There has been waist deep mud, trails that are streams, rivercrossings that were as bad as any I have ever imagined. I hooked up with a guy from this forum, and he had the good sense to bail on day 2. Luckily, I ran into three really cool guys thruhiking it, and they are from my hometown, really the only reason I am still out here. I need to cruise soon, so this is only a mini TR, but we have seen moose tracks and scat, experienced loons crying in the mist, coyotes calling out in the morning, bears popping sounds near our lean to at hamilton stream, nights that it was too wet to start a fire, and miles upon miles of wet feet and blisters like I have never known. By the way, if anyone wants to start a list of things to not attempt the day before a 113 mile wilderness trip, number one would be to stay out of the sawtooth range with Neil...
    set the gear shift for the high gear of your soul...T.A.

Go Doug, Go............

Glad your still out there and I hope it begins to dry out a bit for you.
    "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

Been wondering how you were making out. Glad you are safe and well. Looking forward to reading the long version of the trip report.
      This post is for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

OK, Doug. I don't think I'll ever ask you to buy lottery tickets for me. You know, out of the whole past YEAR, this week has been the wettest week.

Oh yeah.. you know that.
        Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

Doug, I applaud your courage. I shake my head at your stubbornness. :p

Get that man a coffee and some warm towels, pronto!

Unfortunately the forecast isn't looking too great. A slight break tomorrow, then rain again Sunday.

Comment

Finished up today. Woke to fresh snow at duck hole. I really could not believe it, it was almost like a bad dream, but it was very real. Last night was by far the coldest night of the trip, it was definitely in the low 30's out there. I need to break out my trail journal to really nab the highlights, but one of the guys I did it with has a very detailed TR that I would like to get him to print over here. I saw the coolest thing ever this past week also, we were sitting at a lean to that appears to be the home of a very hungry Falcon or Hawk, I have video...he did not even care that we were there. He was hunting smaller less fortunate birds that would just be hopping along the ground. He would come in at an incredible speed, crush the smaller bird into the ground, stomp it with his talons, and then pick it up and fly a few feet away to eat his prey. It was very, very cool.I felt abd for the birds at first, but nature has its own rules. Also--the cold river was blasting, it was a sight to see, crossing the suspension bridge at #3 was downright scary. That was serious class 5 rapids happening in there.

Comment

Originally posted by hillman1
              I saw the coolest thing ever this past week also, we were sitting at a lean to that appears to be the home of a very hungry Falcon or Hawk, I have video...he did not even care that we were there. He was hunting smaller less fortunate birds that would just be hopping along the ground. He would come in at an incredible speed, crush the smaller bird into the ground, stomp it with his talons, and then pick it up and fly a few feet away to eat his prey. It was very, very cool.I felt abd for the birds at first, but nature has its own rules.
              Sounds like it may have been a goshawk, from your description of it's behavior.

"Waist deep mud?" Where did you encounter that? Incredible......
              Last edited by Poconoron; 05-22-2006, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Sounds like an incredible trip. Inspiring to read about this kind of stuff.

Matt
                "Why so many want to read about the world out-of-doors, when it's more interesting simply to go for a walk into the heart of it, I don't fully understand." -Edward Abbey

Comment

Doug- Can't wait to hear the adventures. My hats off to you guys for sticking it out through all the rain! It even hailed here, south of Syraucse, on Sunday so you must have been might chlly.
                  Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
                  It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

WAY TO GO DOUG!!!!!!! I am anxious as well to hear the TR. Once I finsih my 46 that is next on the to do list.

Adam
                    OUTDOOR SHOTS

More hiking Pictures

EASY CHEESE and The Cheez Whiz 46/46 ADK
                    Easy Cheese and Cheez Whiz 46/46 winter

EASY CHEESE and The Cheez Whiz 20/35 CATS

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Originally posted by hillman1
                      ... Last night was by far the coldest night of the trip,...
                      I can imagine. One really feels the cold when there is a cold night after a period of rain. On my first backpacking trip, I had 4 days of rain, then a freezing night at the Indian Falls lean-to. ALthough that was about 35 years ago, I still remember how cold I felt.

I can imagine after being in the rain for a week.. Everything damp, humid, the wrinkly skin, etc... Then a sudden cold. As Alpine summit would say, "Brrrrrr"
                      Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

Originally posted by pete_hickey
                        I can imagine. One really feels the cold when there is a cold night after a period of rain. On my first backpacking trip, I had 4 days of rain, then a freezing night at the Indian Falls lean-to. ALthough that was about 35 years ago, I still remember how cold I felt.

I can imagine after being in the rain for a week.. Everything damp, humid, the wrinkly skin, etc... Then a sudden cold. As Alpine summit would say, "Brrrrrr"

WOW Pete you must really be old 35 years ago????? What are you 60.....lol just kidding.

So Doug were you able to get some pictures at least with all the rain. I cannot wait to see what you took.

Adam
                        OUTDOOR SHOTS

More hiking Pictures

EASY CHEESE and The Cheez Whiz 46/46 ADK
                        Easy Cheese and Cheez Whiz 46/46 winter

EASY CHEESE and The Cheez Whiz 20/35 CATS

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

All of my pics and videos are on my camera phone--it's all I have since my car was looted a while back. One of the guys I hiked it with has a ton of photos, I hope he will post some of them on here.

Comment

...wow...congratulations for sticking it out hillman....keep the details coming, it sounds like an interesting trip...

Comment

Wicked good.

Hillman,

I'm really happy to hear you made it. It sounds like it was a helluva trip, a lot different than when I did it last year. The worst thing I had to deal with was mosquitos at night. Nothing compared to your trials.

My dog has been stabilized on phenobarbital and predisone, but it's confirmed via MRI that he's got a brain tumor ... sorry I couldn't join you ... horrific run of bad luck, but glad to hear you made it.

Fran

Comment

Working...
                              X