Hurricane from Crow Clearing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane from Crow Clearing?

Anybody have any intel on how Hurricane looks from Crow Clearing/ O'Toole Road? I suppose I could go from 9N but I'm looking to shave off a bit of the climb after coming off bronchitis. Heading up Saturday morning with a buddy.

Thanks.

When you add in the extra distance you have to walk from the end of plowing on O'Toole Rd. to Crow Clearing, the two approaches are about the same.

Comment

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes... about 3 miles from either direction. But ~500 feet less ele gain from Crow Clearing. A few factors go into my desire to cut the ele gain. My friend will only be on snowshoes for the 2nd time ever. He has an odd duck-footed gait and our ascent of Blue last winter (~1600 ele gain) absolutely destroyed his hips. And I'm being cautious after an extended bout with bronchitis. The less huffing and puffing for me the better.

Nothing too recent, but when the wife & I did Big Crow a couple weeks back there were a lot of tracks heading to Hurricane. Very pretty back there.
    ADK 46/46W, Grid 237/552
    Photos & Stuff

Comment

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks.

It is a real nice area. I did the Crows and the Nun-da-ga-o Ridge a few falls ago and it was one of the prettiest days I've spent in the ADKs but I didn't tack Hurricane onto the end of the hike. Just as well... now I'm going back for the Winter Fire Tower round.

Between Christmas and New Years I broke the trail from about 1/2 mile below the junction with the 9N trail up to the junction. The rest of it was well traveled, although there were a few diverging snowshoe paths at the lower end of the trail shortly after crossing Gulf brook. For some reason I thought that the route from Crow's clearing was already longer than the 9n route, but less climbing.

Comment

How'd it go?
      ADK 46/46W, Grid 237/552
      Photos & Stuff

Comment

• Makwa
        Makwa commented
        Editing a comment
        Great. I was concerned for nothing. More cars at on O'Toole than at 9N and trail broken out well enough. Hard packed in some places... unconsolidated in others but snow not deep enough to be annoyed with. Some ice here and there but less than a handful of places you'd have to be a little careful with. LOTS of barebooters but snow not deep enough for post-holing to be an issue.

Beyond that... incredibly windy at the summit. I'd guess 40-50 MPH... maybe gusting higher. Trip report to follow Sunday or Monday.
    Working...
    X