Redfield, Cliff, and Gray?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redfield, Cliff, and Gray?

Hi, I am hoping to do these 3 in one day in the next week or so. I know this is a stretch so here are a few questions:

1) Does anyone have a estimate on the amount of snow up in that area, and also if the trail has been recently broken going up towards 4 corners?

2) What is the best approach to this hike?
    My plan(with some other hiking buddies) is to drive up the night before and get on the trail well ahead of the sun. I was hoping to do this from the Loj, however, I am now seeing these peaks done from Upper Works?? I am also trying to avoid an overnight at this point.

3) Are the interior bodies of water crossable at this point? DEC has not been too clear and I have not seen anything in reports.

I am open to any suggestions and experience you have. I am just ready to get up and play in the snow!

Thanks

Sorry I don't have any recent info on the trails in that area, nor about the lakes.

Those peaks can be done from either the Loj or Upper Works. It is slightly longer from Upper Works but slightly more elevation from the Loj.

I'm sure you're aware of how remote and difficult these peaks are; I wouldn't recommend combining the two hikes to all but the strongest, most experienced hikers. (Which you may be, or not.)
    ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 238/552
    Photos & Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by autochromatica View Post
      Sorry I don't have any recent info on the trails in that area, nor about the lakes.

Those peaks can be done from either the Loj or Upper Works. It is slightly longer from Upper Works but slightly more elevation from the Loj.

I'm sure you're aware of how remote and difficult these peaks are; I wouldn't recommend combining the two hikes to all but the strongest, most experienced hikers. (Which you may be, or not.)
      Agreed- would be a big pull if all in one day, even if water is frozen (which my guess is it is, given the cold). Maybe in June or July with good weather, but now would be serious business, requiting top fitness, experience and gear. Temps not getting over zero F any time soon, and snow is deep. Even if trails get broken, additional snow and wind drifting it in will make things slow.

Comment

I just posted on Redfield. Check it out.
        Don

Comment

Originally posted by Hear the Footsteps View Post
          I just posted on Redfield. Check it out.
          Don
          For the OP: Don has completed an ADK 46x12 grid. Took him two days to get to Redfield alone. Whew!
          ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 238/552
          Photos & Stuff

Comment

You can do them from either direction. I prefer C&R from the Loj over Lake Arnold. It's two miles shorter than the UW route, but has a little more elle gain. I agree that the three is a big undertaking. Someone from the forum broke trail with a partner to Lake Tear. Gray is likely still untouched at this time.

JackRabbit ski report said lakes are crossable at this time. DEC has not confirmed this...
            #8335W, Solo 46W
            NE 111 113/115

One list may be done, but the journey is far from over...
            Half Dome, 2009

Comment

JackRabbit ski report said lakes are crossable at this time. DEC has not confirmed this...[/QUOTE]

Before long Lake Champlain will be crossable with this cold...

Comment

I haven't been up these 3 from UW since Aug, so no specific trail info for you. Like some of the others, I would seriously caution you from attempting all 3 in oneday now unless you have extensive winter hiking experience and are in tip-top shape. Wishing you best of luck (I wouldn't do it).

Comment

As of 1/1
                  Redfield and Cliff are broken out.
                  Someone came from Feldspar way. They (1 or 2) packed down the Redfield path. It was flat and fast today.
                  Cliff had about 4 to 6 inches of snow and was a slower climb than Redfield because of it.

I'm thinking conditions are good for what you want to do. I think if I did this I'd climb Marcy taking advantage of a packed and gradual route, descend then climb Gray, Feldspar to Redfield and Cliff. Backtrack to Lake Arnold.

Don

Comment

Working...
                  X