13 months to finish.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 months to finish.

My goal has been to complete my 46R by the time I turn 40. That leaves me 13 months to complete the rest of my list.

Out of what I have left, what peak would you finish on?

Also, any ideas about a efficient game plan to finish is well received.

Here is what I have left to do form now until 12/30/2018.
    Seward
    Marshall
    Allen
    Donaldson
    Seymor
    South Dix
    Dix
    Colvin
    Emmons
    East Dix
    Blake
    Cliff
    Couchsachraga
    Haystack
    Skylight
    Gray
    Basin
    Colden
    Santanoni
    Redfield
    Saddleback
    Panther
    Macomb
    Hough

I would finish on Skylight (Gray and Sky in the same hike) or Haystack (Saddleback, Basin and Hay same hike).

Groupings:

Seward, Donaldson, Emmons.
    Cliff, Redfield
    Grace (East Dix), S. Dix, Macomb, Hough, Dix
    Santa, Panther Couch
    Colvin, Blake
    Project-100: 100 peaks, one winter. https://project100singlewinter.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Charlie
      Charlie commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree with Neil on the groupings, another possible option though would be to leave Dix proper for #46, come from the north. The rest of the Dix range is a decent challenge in it's own right, can be done in a day though.

Up the Saddleback cliffs as part of HaBaSa on a nice summer day, coupled with one or two overnights at the Johns Brook Lodge or if it is in winter maybe a finish on Marshall to memorialize 46er #2 and 3 the Marshall brothers!

Comment

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      Or on Emmons where the Marshalls & Herb Clark finished.

• gebby
      gebby commented
      Editing a comment
      After they thought they were already finished! :P

My suggestion is to finish on Haystack. In October. On a weekday.

If find you are a strong hiker try Redfield, Cliff, Marshall from Upper Works when there are long days.

Don

Comment

• moosebeware
      moosebeware commented
      Editing a comment
      Ugh. A Haystack finish is predictable.

We had a similar-looking list prior to our finish. We decided to leave Colden for last, because it's a (relatively) short hike with spectacular views. (Caveat: This was before the ADK/DEC ruined Colden with all the staircases. The summit is still the same tho. ) We were out early and even in August were the only ones on the summit the whole time.

Skylight or Haystack would be great, but for us the shorter day made the difference.
    ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 238/552
    Photos & Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Hear the Footsteps View Post
      My suggestion is to finish on Haystack. In October. On a weekday.

If find you are a strong hiker try Redfield, Cliff, Marshall from Upper Works when there are long days.

Don
      I am very strong.

I am not a very strong hiker.

The most I've done in a day is Algonquin, (boundary), Iroquois. I've also done the giant/RPR traverse. Both about killed me.

Not sure how your suggestions compare to those.

Comment

• gebby
        gebby commented
        Editing a comment
        You have a lot of tougher days left your list than Algonquin/Iroquois and the Giant/RPR traverse and if they "about killed" you, maybe getting done by the end of next year is not realistic. Be smart about it and build your aerobic fitness up.
        Last edited by gebby; 12-02-2017, 08:34 AM.

• moosebeware
        moosebeware commented
        Editing a comment
        Nivek, You nailed it.

• Nivek
        Nivek commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you......

Try Allen or Couchsachraga during mud season. It'll put a lot of things regarding the mission of the 46r organization as well as the general state of affairs in the High Peaks region into perspective, and you'll have a lot of time to think about it.
      My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

Go after the less rewarding/no view mountains first then coast through the glory hounds. Kind of like eating your vegetables first and saving the steak for desert.

Comment

Originally posted by autochromatica View Post
          We had a similar-looking list prior to our finish. We decided to leave Colden for last, because it's a (relatively) short hike with spectacular views. (Caveat: This was before the ADK/DEC ruined Colden with all the staircases. The summit is still the same tho. ) We were out early and even in August were the only ones on the summit the whole time.

Skylight or Haystack would be great, but for us the shorter day made the difference.
          If you don't like the stairs, you can always climb alongside them and not use them. Or climb the Trap Dike - no stairs there...

Comment

Finish on Blake.................. Just kidding

Finish on Haystack.
            Weekday= less people
            Catskills: 39/39, 26W/35W
            ADK: 46/46

Comment

• Makwa
              Makwa commented
              Editing a comment
              Finishing on Blake would be less common than the rest. As would Donaldson or Macomb. Scroll through the 46er roster and you won't see many finishes on those mountains.

I agree with Nivek... Haystack on a weekday. That's what I did and there were less than a half dozen people on the trail there and back.

Hey we finished on Esther. A friend's first peak was Couchie. They're all good!

Comment

If you are up for the trap dike, it is fantastic, a real classic. Colden is popular for finishing the 46, probably in part because it's right in the middle and you can see most of your hard work all around you.

I wouldn't feel badly about getting whupped by RPR/Giant or the Macs. There's a lot of elevation gain in those. But you have some challenging hikes ahead, that's for sure.

Comment

This seems to be the most popular opinion from this thread.
                Haystack, Saddleback & Basin
                Seward, Donaldson, Emmons
                Cliff, Redfield, marshall
                Grace (East Dix), S. Dix, Macomb, Hough, Dix
                Santanoni, Panther, Couchsachraga
                Colvin, Blake
                Gray and Skylight
                Colden
                Seymor
                Allen

Comment

• Makwa
                  Makwa commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You might consider breaking apart the Dixes into two trips (Dix & Hough on one, the rest another time), and leaving Haystack as a single. All 5 Dixes in one day and HaBaSa are more difficult than the Algonquin/Iroquois and Giant/RPR hikes that pushed you to your limit. At the very least build up to these by doing the others on your list and judge if you're then capable of tackling the Dixes or HaBaSa. No shame in breaking them up as thousands and thousands of other 46ers have done in the past.

Another option would be for me to stay a night or two on any of these given hikes. They don't need to be days hikes and I'm not really expecting them to be.

Comment

Knowing you...I would say that if this is your priority, then something else is going to have to take a backseat to get into the kind of shape you want to be in to get this done reasonably. To get to Blake is either 18 miles from Elk Lake or go over Colvin. Getting to Emmons means going over Donaldson and you don't want to have to descend from there only to reclimb Calkins Brook the next day to get to Seward.

I'm not sure you can be both a lifter and a hiker. Dropping some of that mass may help with your descents as well.

I am sorry for almost killing you on Giant & RPR. In perspective to what is ahead of you, it is an easy day.

Did you get Street & Nye already?
                  #8335W, Solo 46W
                  NE 111 113/115

One list may be done, but the journey is far from over...
                  Half Dome, 2009

Comment

Working...
                  X