Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best map for the 46?

Hey,

i just wrapped up my ne67 in September. Going to continue working on the whites this winter but would like to get to the adks right now! What is your favorite map for the area? Where can I order it from? Is there one besides the natgeo map?

Thanks

Vin

The most authoritative paper High Peaks map is from the ADK Mountain Club: https://www.adk.org/product/trails-o...igh-peaks-map/

The most detailed and accurate digital version is OpenStreetMap (OSM) and its derivatives like Waymarked Trails and OpenTopoMap. If you're using a backcountry navigation app, it probably already includes OSM or some map based on OSM.

Full Disclosure: I've been updating the High Peaks portion of OSM since May 2016 so that's why I feel comfortable vouching for its accuracy.
    Looking for Views!

Comment

The Adriondack Mountain Club map and the Adriondack Mountain Club guide can be found here.

Nice thing about the ADK map is that it shows campsites. Which is obviously helpful when camping, but also if you're trying to reduce your footprint by avoiding pooping in the woods.

P.S. I'm confused. Description of the ADK map says it corresponds to the ADK guide. But the description of the ADK guide says it corresponds to the NatGeo map. And the bundle includes the ADK guide with the NatGeo map??

Comment

Yes the Guide/Map Combo includes the NatGeo map. You must purchase the Guide and ADK map separately if you only want the ADK map. Go figure...probably a marketing/contractual agreement with NatGeo.

Comment

• sendtomaz
          sendtomaz commented
          Editing a comment
          The ADK map description says it corresponds to the ADK guide. The ADK guide description says it corresponds to the NatGeo map. Which is the best map to purchase as a companion to the guide?

The ADK map is the one to get. The Nat Geo map is better than it used to be, but still not as good as the ADK map.

(When the Nat Geo maps were introduced several years ago, they were a mess, riddled with errors. Apparently it was a marketing agreement that was rushed to completion.)

The Nat Geo maps have been gradually improving. But I am glad ADK stepped back, and let a real expert (our own tgoodwin) produce an ADK map for the High Peaks. Honestly, I wish they would do the same for the rest of the series, return to producing their own maps and walk away from Nat Geo.

Comment

• DayTrip
          DayTrip commented
          Editing a comment
          I hate the NatGeo map. There is too much going on in a small amount of space. You can't even read much of it. As someone who was unfamiliar with the Adirondacks when I bought it last year I found myself using CalTop to locate the summits and then figuring out where they were on the map. NY needs a multi map set like the one that comes with AMC White Mountain Guide. It's just too big of an area to cover on one sheet of paper.

The ADK map can also be ordered direct, and it comes in a tube, meaning no folds - suitable for wall hanging.

Comment

Thanks all!

Comment

When the current edition of the ADK Guide was published, only the Nat Geo map was available. That now-outdated statement obviously should be changed in the next printing.

Comment

Originally posted by tgoodwin View Post
              When the current edition of the ADK Guide was published, only the Nat Geo map was available. That now-outdated statement obviously should be changed in the next printing.
              OK, I think I understand.

The guide references the NatGeo map because the ADK map didn't exist when the guide was printed. Which explains why it is bundled with the NatGeo Map.

Then the ADK map came along and referenced the guide.

Future printings of the guide will reference the ADK map.

Consensus here is that the ADK map is the one to get. But if purchasing the current guide (which references the NatGeo map) should one go with the NatGeo map as the companion?

Comment

sendtomaz: I will modestly suggest that the ADK map is the one to buy, even though the guide still says Nat Geo.

Comment

• gebby
                  gebby commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So sayeth the map maker!

Perhaps I'm being dense here.

I was thinking that throughout the guide it made specific references to the NatGeo Map. Trail numbers, etc. In that case the NatGeo map makes sense.

But perhaps the guide only mentions the NatGeo map and doesn't reference specific features?

On the NatGeo map the Van Hoevenberg trail is #61. Looks like the same for the ADK guide. Where does #61 come from? Is that proprietary to NatGeo? Or does it come from another source? Does the ADK map also refer to it as #61?

Sorry for so many questions, I just don't get it yet.

Comment

• FoulHooked
                  FoulHooked commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The ADK map should correspond to the guide book. Numbered trails should match the Nat Geo #s, as they both are drawn to match the ADK guide book. Either map will have similar info, but the detail on the ADK map is better. Also, i believe the ADK map includes all 46 high peaks, whereas Whiteface and Esther are on a separate Nat Geo sheet (#746 vs #742).

Get the ADK map. Get the Nat Geo too if you want, but get the ADK map. I have the whole suite of Nat Geo adirondack maps and they're great. But the ADK high peaks map is better.

I believe the trail numbers were assigned by the ADK and have been in all their guidebooks and maps (can anyone here who has a first edition book confirm this?). Nat Geo adopted those numbers and, when ADK decided to stop publishing their own map, the Nat Geo map was included. ADK realized their mistake and now has published the much better one, by TGoodwin. Other books and maps may use a different numbering system. Note, that unlike the national forests, the trail numbers are not posted on the trails themselves.
                Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
                2nd round: 16
                SL6r #596
                Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

• tgoodwin
                  tgoodwin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The trail numbers were added for the 12th Edition, published in 1992.

OK, think I get it now.

The guide is the authority. Both maps were developed around the guide. The current guide says it references the NatGeo map but that's only because the ADK map didn't exist when it was printed. The superior ADK map corresponds to the guide the same way the NatGeo map does so it's the companion of choice for the guide.

Still don't understand why ADK bundles the guide with the NatGeo map but I think I'll quit while I'm ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by sendtomaz View Post
                  Still don't understand why ADK bundles the guide with the NatGeo map...
                  Simple answer = $

Comment

I bought copies of the Nat Geo map before the new ADK map was published. Some other posters on this thread say that the Nat Geo map is now better than it originally was. Can someone tell me what is the date that the Nat Geo maps were improved? (I like maps, and would like to get the better Nat Geo one, even though I have a few copies of the ADK one).
                    Can the rolled-up map be purchased in person from the ADK office/store in Lake George?
                    Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
                    2nd round: 16
                    SL6r #596
                    Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

Working...
                    X