Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panther Gorge designated campsites

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panther Gorge designated campsites

How many designated sites are located in this area, I know of the lean-to but don't want to count on getting it on a Friday in September.
    Charlie

Charlie's Adirondack Adventures

I think two, but it's been 5 years..

Comment

Trailboss's OSM updates from about a month ago show 1 campsite in addition to the shelter. Not that that is an authoritative source, but he has been cataloging such features throughout the high peaks.

Comment

It has been a decade since I have tented at Panther Gorge, but at that time, there was room for several tents just prior to reaching the lean-to and on the left side of the trail (if ascending the Elk Lake-Marcy trail from Elk Lake/Marcy Swamp). As stated above, Trailboss's very recent OSM update shows the campsite in a slightly different location. It is possible the spot I mentioned has been closed, or that both that spot and the one shown on OSM are still designated. Here is a link to the location on OSM: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=1...0004/-73.91322

Comment

Hoping for the lean to to be open, it's going to be warm this weekend, open air sleeping might be nice. Of course we'll carry the tent just in case. Anyone report on mozzies or flies returning with this warm weather?
          Charlie

Charlie's Adirondack Adventures

Comment

Charlie

​If you have the time and are so inclined, you can do me a great service by confirming the number, and location, of designated campsites in Panther Gorge. I haven't had the opportunity to visit that neck of the woods (recently) so I've never recorded the precise location of the lean-to, campsites, privies (if any), guideposts, etc. The most recent changes to the trail were based on JoeCedar's tracklog. There's definitely a lean-to there (although not in the same location when I was there in 1984!) and at least one if not two designated campsites.

​If you are using a GPS to record a track, I would appreciate if you could mark waypoints for whatever designated campsites you discover (only campsites that are obviously marked with a yellow Camp Here disks), the lean-to and privy (if any). If no GPS then just make a mental note of the approximate location of everything. It'll help me improve the accuracy of OpenStreetmap. If you want to be really meticulous, you can record a track for the spur-trails that lead to the campsites, privy, etc (that's what I normally do but that's all part of my "mapping hobby").

​Enjoy your trip and your stay in Panther Gorge.
            Looking for Views!

Comment

• Charlie
              Charlie commented
              Editing a comment
              Trail Boss I'll do my best, I don't usually record my tracks. I have an older Garmin GPS, I'll dust it off and see if I can at least get you some way points, if not I'll estimate the locations as best I can. We'll be trekking on all 3 trails so we should see them all.

It's been two (I think) years since I camped there, but there were at least two sites on the left before you get to the lean-to if you are coming from Elk Lake. I think I've camped there 5 times, and the only time the lean-to was available was available was when we stayed there in the winter and were the first people in 2 months to sign in at the trailhead. On the other hand, every time both campsites were open, so you should be good. Enjoy--it's a special place.

Comment

Had just a handful of skeeters around Lake Golden 3 weeks ago, but they were bad in Pharo Lake area last week. Cluster flies were downright miserable and swarming over the w/e at Upper Works. good thing you're taking the tent.

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
                Charlie

​If you have the time and are so inclined, you can do me a great service by confirming the number, and location, of designated campsites in Panther Gorge. I haven't had the opportunity to visit that neck of the woods (recently) so I've never recorded the precise location of the lean-to, campsites, privies (if any), guideposts, etc. The most recent changes to the trail were based on JoeCedar's tracklog. There's definitely a lean-to there (although not in the same location when I was there in 1984!) and at least one if not two designated campsites.

​If you are using a GPS to record a track, I would appreciate if you could mark waypoints for whatever designated campsites you discover (only campsites that are obviously marked with a yellow Camp Here disks), the lean-to and privy (if any). If no GPS then just make a mental note of the approximate location of everything. It'll help me improve the accuracy of OpenStreetmap. If you want to be really meticulous, you can record a track for the spur-trails that lead to the campsites, privy, etc (that's what I normally do but that's all part of my "mapping hobby&quot.

​Enjoy your trip and your stay in Panther Gorge.
                I hope to be passing by Panther Gorge on Saturday and will try to check campsite locations as well. I don't own a GPS, so I'll have to go analog.
                We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing ~ Satchel Paige

Comment

• Trail Boss
                  Trail Boss commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Analog is also fine. The approximate location and total number of campsites and privies is better than no information at all. Currently all I know is there's one lean-to and one or two campsites. The lean-to is shown southeast of the junction and the campsite is northwest of the junction. Maybe that needs correction.

EDIT
                  Just watched a recent video of a trip to Panther Gorge (and more) and I see the lean-to is close to the trail and there's a "Privy" sign pointing in the direction behind the lean-to.

https://youtu.be/Yg24cfmQVJk?t=2m6s
                  Last edited by Trail Boss; 09-22-2017, 10:09 AM.

• Charlie
                  Charlie commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Trail Boss, so there is only 1 legal designated campsite. Before the junction, It is on the left just prior (30 yards) to the lean to entrance on the right. There is a yellow disk marking the entrance. The campsite itself is a mere 20-30 yards off the trail. The privy is behind the N/E corner of the lean to only about 50 yards at most.

We investigated a spur trail that was blocked probably 60-75 yards before (south) of the designated site and found evidence of what may have been a legal site at one point but now there are no camping signs. FWIW, that site looked more legal than the one we stayed at. It is 50 yards off the trail and at least that from the water, and it looked like it was quite nice at one time. I am sure it still gets used.

• Charlie
                  Charlie commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Forgot to mention, there is also a privy at 4 corners, that was surprising.
              Working...
              X