Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garden parking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garden parking

So Saturday I'll be driving up for from the finger lakes area to hike big slide. If there isn't any parking at the garden do I have any other options. I'm guessing I'll get there around 2ish. I'm a smell the roses kinda hiker so I typically drive up on a Saturday. Hike till dark, camp and finish on Sunday. Any info would be awesome. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go prepared for the lot to be full. You might get lucky and arrive at the same time as another day hiker (one that got an early start) is leaving... but given that it will be a holiday weekend I'd suggest that your odds of this happening are slim. There will probably be other late comers like yourself lurking in the vicinity to poach a spot as soon as one opens up.

If the lot is full, you can park at Marcy Field and pay the fee (I think it's $10?) to ride the bus to the Garden. If you come out of the woods on Sunday after the shuttle bus has stopped running, though, then you're out of luck for getting back to your car without either a very long walk, or the kindness of someone willing to give you a ride.

With the weather forecast for the holiday weekend shaping up to be really, really nice I would just in general be prepared for crowds bordering on (possibly even exceeding) epic, never-before-seen levels in the High Peaks.
    Last edited by DSettahr; 08-29-2017, 09:08 PM.

Comment

I think the shuttle runs from 7:00am-7:00 pm but you may want to verify.

Comment

• moosebeware
        moosebeware commented
        Editing a comment
        That is correct.

If all else fails Big Slide is not a bad walk from South Meadow, via Klondike Notch and Yard Mtn.. Although you would miss out on The Brothers, which is some of the most scenic hiking associated with Big Slide.

Comment

That's good to know. Maybe I'll get lucky and get a spot at the garden. If not I'll hit south meadow. How much further of a walk is big slide from the south meadow? All I can find on the websites say to start at the garden. Unless I'm using the wrong site.

Comment

• Trail Boss
          Trail Boss commented
          Editing a comment
          We hiked Big Slide from South Meadows on July 5th. It's 12 miles vs 8 miles from the Garden.

Parking at South Meadows is free and overflow parking is along Meadows Lane. The Klondike Notch Trail sees very little traffic. You're not likely to see other hikers along this route until you reach the summit of Big Slide (possibly earlier near Yard).

You can also park at the rooster comb trailhead and walk to the garden. It's about a mile and a half, I think. I would take a peek at the rooster comb lot as you are driving into town; if there's space you can come back to it if the garden lot is full. That's assuming you don't want to take the shuttle, which probably is the best option. IMO south meadows is a last resort as it really changes the hike, and it's an extra drive up to Lake Placid.

Please don't park along Market St in Keene Valley, even if you see several other cars doing so. It's getting to be a big problem for the very friendly folks that live there.

Comment

That seems like a great idea. From roostercomb, I would assume there are trail markers to the garden? That seems like the best option for me. I just hope there's parking somewhere. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Egoklr315 View Post
            ... From roostercomb, I would assume there are trail markers to the garden?
            ​Nope. You walk along public roads to get between the two trailheads. The Garden is ~2 miles away from the Roostercomb Parking Area ... and ~575 feet up.

Looking for Views!

Comment

Haha. Who woulda thought. Lol. Thanks so much everyone. !!

Comment

Please get a map!

Comment

Will do. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X