Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Santanoni Range

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoser, which way do you plan on doing the Gray/Sky/Marcy loop?

Comment

From the Loj past Lake Arnold through Feldspar, visit Tear of Clouds, then Gray/Sky/Marcy. so CCW. Avoids Feldspar on return and as have not been on Marcy on a clear day, returning up and over hoping for the best weather wise. Hear the trek from Sky to Marcy is not a big deal and one of the most spectacular hikes due to exposure.

If anyone has solid ascent measurements as well as mileage for the loop, please share.

Comment

• FlyFishingandBeer
        FlyFishingandBeer commented
        Editing a comment
        This is how I prefer to hike them as well, only from S. Meadows. Its a big day, but you'll probably see very little mud after Lake Arnold. You'll feel the mileage for sure by the time you're descending past the Table Top turnoff, but at that point you're pretty much in the home stretch.

Pack some spare socks to change into after the floating bridges.

You can use BRouter or GraphHopper or Caltopo (all free; no account required) to draw your desired route and they'll report the estimated distance and ascent (and elevation profile). All allow you to export your drawn route as a GPX file. They'll typically agree on distance but vary on estimated ascent.

http://brouter.de/brouter-web/

https://graphhopper.com/maps/

http://caltopo.com

​FWIW, the ascent from Four Corners to Marcy is ~900 feet. The loop you described is in the neighborhood of ~17 miles and ~5100 feet ascent.

My personal preference is to go over Marcy to Four Corners and then return via Marcy. On a nice day, you get double the pleasure of hiking Marcy's impressive southern face. The backtracking over Marcy adds ~400 feet of ascent compared to the route via Lake Arnold (distance is virtually the same).

Looking for Views!

Comment

• Runty
        Runty commented
        Editing a comment
        I was considering that route next year Trail Boss and wondered why nobody mentions it. I never hear anybody say how beautiful the trail from Lake Arnold to Tear of the Clouds is but Marcy is a nice walk and thought I would enjoy it twice as an out and back to hike Gray and Skylight next year. My quads will hate me for it though.

• FlyFishingandBeer
        FlyFishingandBeer commented
        Editing a comment
        Runty The hike down from Lake Arnold to the junction of the Feldspar trail is awesome, IMO. I love this stretch of trail. From that junction up to Lake Tear along the Feldspar frankly kind of sucks.

• rickhart
        rickhart commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I have the same reaction as FF&B: that whole trail from the Lake Arnold pass down through the upper Opalescent valley is a beautiful area, even the swampy part. Loj to Lake Arnold to Feldspar to 4 corners to Skylight to Marcy & down the VanHo is one of my all time favorites. And in that order: by the last part, I'm very happy to be able to just glide down the VanHo.

Very cook mapping sites.....I will play around, thanks for sharing

Comment

Heading to the Santanoni range this weekend, quick question about the terrain on the BP trail between the junction of the Santa express and Panther trail. It looks flat but also looks like it could be a swamp. I'm looking to wilderness camp somewhere close to the Santa express junction and was hoping someone could she some light on the terrain. We don't expect the BP Lean-to to be available on the weekend.

https://caltopo.com/m/3UA2
        Charlie

Charlie's Adirondack Adventures

Comment

That state trail b/t the turn to S Express and the turn by Bradley Pond definately was wet the weekend of Aig 19. Certainly last week helped but the last few days, not so much. I did see a couple of folks camped on the other side of Bradley Pond which is raised up a bit from the trail. They took the left up the herd path towardsPanther and 5 minutes later, if that, on the left. Not sure if this site is marked.

Comment

There's a spot along that section of trail that I've passed several times and thought it would make for a good place to pitch a tent. Unfortunately I've never waymarked it and I can't recall if it is near to where you marked the potential campsite or farther north where the trail rises and levels out again, southeast of Bradley Pond.

Anyway, my hunch is it's much closer to your potential campsite. The woods on the *east* side are sparse and reasonably level for a short stretch. You can't help but notice it because suddenly you can see into the woods for 50+ feet. It seems to me the west side drops towards the brook and isn't quite as level as the map suggests plus there's a tributary of Santanoni Brook (switch to satellite view and you'll see your site is just a scant few yards from the trib).

​I suggest you walk north, past the Express junction, and keep your eyes peeled for open woods on the right side (east side). My guess it'll be at least as far north as the potential campsite you marked on the map. However, you'll know when you see it because the trail's condition changes from a rocky mess to a relatively smooth trail-bed, levels out, and the woods go from dense conifers to sparse conifers. The only drawback is I don't recall seeing any sources of water other than Santanoni Brook.
            Looking for Views!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoser View Post
              ...I did see a couple of folks camped on the other side of Bradley Pond which is raised up a bit from the trail. They took the left up the herd path towards Panther and 5 minutes later, if that, on the left. Not sure if this site is marked.
              The Panther Brook Trail (so-called herd-path to Panther) lies north of Bradley Pond. The "5 minutes later" you described suggests they camped on the west side of the beaver pond that the Panther Brook Trail initially skirts.
              http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=4...10764&layers=N

There are no designated campsites in that area unless they were newly marked since I was there in May.
              Looking for Views!

Comment

Yep that was it. they were just past the beaver pond/dam. Thread shift, think you mentioned you were at Seymour Sat morning, Same here. Point of interest is although passed less than 20 people all day, accounting for about half as many groups, did see 4 to 5 guys, seperately, with some time of two way radio on their chests. Most were hiking alone but some as a pair. Just seemed odd as I may have seen one other radio all summer but 4 or 5 on this one trip.

Comment

Trail Boss, thanks for the input, we'll be on the lookout for a good spot just past the junction. Hoser, we probably crossed paths on Saturday as well, did you happen to have dogs with you?
                  Charlie

Charlie's Adirondack Adventures

Comment

No dogs, just the three of us enjoying a "10" weather day and only focusing on Seymour!

Comment

Working...
                    X