Giant/RPR - Exit Option

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giant/RPR - Exit Option

I'll be hiking Giant/RPR this weekend with a couple of friends who have never been up there before. I tried talking them into a full traverse but they aren't into the idea.

Can anyone help direct me towards the start of Beede Brook (or whichever name you prefer to call it) it route down from the col? I prefer to complete my hikes as loops or traverses rather than covering the same terrain twice in one day, and this one looks interesting.
    My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Originally posted by FlyFishingandBeer View Post
    I prefer to complete my hikes as loops or traverses rather than covering the same terrain twice in one day, and this one looks interesting.
    this doesn't help you at all with respect to beede brook, but giant does offer loop options via two connector trails. there is the nubble trail and the washbowl trail, both of which could let you go up roaring brook and down the ridge trail (or vice versa), connecting back to where you started from. i have used both to mix it up on giant, and while the nubble itself is quite nice i prefer the washbowl trail for this purpose.

Comment

greatexpectations Thanks for the reply! Could you explain what you mean by this not helping me? I was under the impression there was a known route, if not quite a trail, that leads back to Rt. 73 along Beede Brook from below the Giant/RPR col. I have linked a map courtesy of TB for referencing the spot I'm talking about.

Edit: Or did you mean that you just don't have any info on that route?

http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.15...558&z=16&b=mbt
      My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

• Trail Boss
        Trail Boss commented
        Editing a comment
        Others who have descended that drainage (I have not) can correct me but, based on accounts of it, I didn't get the impression there's a distinct path.

• greatexpectations
        greatexpectations commented
        Editing a comment
        what i meant was that my post was not answering the post question so much as offering another idea for addressing the root issue - ie not wanting to do a simple out and back. just providing an alternate way of making a pseduo loop out of a giant and rpr day. i cant add much about beede brook. i am familiar with the route due to its mention multiple times on here and in older accounts but i have never tried it myself.

• FlyFishingandBeer
        FlyFishingandBeer commented
        Editing a comment
        Gotcha loud and clear. Thanks again for the input.

Washbowl up and Roaring Brook down is a great loop(ish). The only backtracking you'd do is between the two peaks.
      46er #9404
      Pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/145945713@N02/
      http://www.athikerpictures.org/syste...jpg
      https://smokebeard.wordpress.com/

Comment

What your map calls Beede Brook we have always called Dipper Brook. It is a pure bushwack and is not in any way a trail. It can be descended but it is harder and longer than the map makes it look...

Comment

• FlyFishingandBeer
          Editing a comment
          That's a good heads up. I may have misinterpreted the one of the TR's that mentioned this route. Maybe I'll skip the BW this time and try it solo for my next round.

Get new friends.

A loop of mossy cascade and roaring brook is nice. Only requires 1 car and a shortish road walk.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

• FlyFishingandBeer
          Editing a comment
          Apparently I need to do just that! Its a beautiful traverse and I've been wanting to do it again, but it really sucks doing it with only one car or having to stash a bike.

I did the Beede/Dipper Whack this year (Victoria Day weekend)...there is no herd path. I ended up in the brook, but understand that staying much higher to the right of it is better. The terrain immediately on the Giant side of the brook is steep, so once I was in it, there was no real way out. There are sections of forest that are more open than others and once you get down near the pond, it levels out a bit and is pretty open. Stay right around the pond and you pop back out on the trail, just above the Washbowl.

It is not a shortcut. I wanted to avoid the holiday crowds and I did. And I like bushwhacking. I'd like to get back in there again.

Others have done this in the winter with a solid crust...
        #8335W, Solo 46W
        NE 111 113/115

One list may be done, but the journey is far from over...
        Half Dome, 2009

Comment

• FlyFishingandBeer
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! This info is exactly what I was after. I didn't figure it to be a shortcut, but I like doing loops rather than covering the same ground twice in one hike, so I'm always looking for routes like this.

If you continue downstream from the Dipper Pond, there is some tricky waterfall country, but there are some exceptional swimming holes for use on a hot day. It's possible to cut back over from the last major waterfall and hit the Giant Ridge trail at the top switchback, below where the trail swings north towards the Washbowl.

Comment

• FlyFishingandBeer
          Editing a comment
          I was looking at this as an option. Looks to be about 1500 feet or so, and hopefully not *too* dense.

I've done the whack in the Dipper Brook drainage in both directions. I found staying well above the left bank to be reasonably easy. Going around the Dipper (the pond) and traversing is an easy way to get back to the trail, as Moosebeware said. Dipper Brook Falls, which tcd mentioned, is exceptionally beautiful. It is around 1900 feet, though, not 1500 and no picnic to reach--it is in a deep narrow gorge.

FoulHooked's idea is good too--going up the Mossy Cascade Trail and then climbing Giant from behind (although that trail is horribly eroded). I did that last Saturday and didn't meet another hiker until the Giant summit. The walk back to the car from the Roaring Brook Trailhead is only a little over a mile.

Comment

• Trail Boss
          Trail Boss commented
          Editing a comment
          Missed you by a day! On Sunday, I looped over Baxter and then repositioned south to ascend Hopkins via Mossy Cascade. I descended via Ranney but not before first dropping down Hopkins' north side (to the tote road) and re-ascending it via Spread Eagle. Such a lovely view from Hopkins and well worth two visits in one day.

• moosebeware
          moosebeware commented
          Editing a comment
          Gregory, Are you saying that you stayed on the RPR side of Dipper Brook?
      Working...
      X