Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difficulty of Gothics?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by autochromatica View Post

Also FYI, the exit via Beaver Meadow Falls is NOT easier (in my opinion) than returning via the Weld trail. Once you swing around to the Armstrong side, there are some ladders (going up!) that you have to navigate, and the descent feels a lot farther. That route makes sense if you want to take the (relatively easy) 0.4-mile spur to Armstrong, but otherwise your crew will at least know what the return will be like going back over Pyramid. Plus you can stop there twice.

As of last weekend, pretty much the entire Weld trail and the spur to Sawteeth were (relatively) dry. Only muddy puddles were on the actual summit of Gothics. I've seen it way worse.

All of this.

The Weld trail is in beautiful shape and is really quite pleasant for ascending and descending. The BMF trail is rough and descending it feels like it takes forever even thought the mileage is still about the same. I still prefer descending the BMF trail because I prefer loops to backtracking and it spits you out closer to your end goal: your car. I also really like crossing the slide which sits about 2/3 of the way down IIRC. There's lots of slides in the peaks but for some reason that one really left me awestruck at the raw destructive force it took to change the terrain in that area. Whichever way you decide to go, that side of the LGR is beautiful and IMO Pyramid offers more bang for your buck than any other ADK peak in terms of dramatic views vs. accessibility.
    “Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.” - Ed Viesturs

Comment

Hi folks... just a quick followup to all the helpful advice given here... in the end, due to unforeseen time constraints and wanting to save some time, we ended up hiking Giant this past Tuesday instead of Gothics. Nevertheless, this hike is on our radar and we WILL get to it! (Tuesday was a great day for a hike and we had a great time on Giant, despite the first half mile on the ridge trail being a bit of a bear for me...)
      6/46

Comment

Working...
      X