Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iron Mountain (Elizabethtown)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron Mountain (Elizabethtown)

A new trail up Iron Mountain was started last fall. I have been up it many times, but the last time, in November, only the first half was finished. Earlier trips revealed a blue-flagged route to the summit, but in November those flags had been removed. What is the current status of that trail? It does make a lovely hike and in October, some friends and 'whacked over to the Owls Head Lookout trail. Also, what is the correct name of OHL? I've heard Owl Head Lookout, but the USGS map says Owls Head Lookout.
    Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
    2nd round: 16
    SL6r #596
    Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

• ADK Mtn Club's High Peaks guidebook calls it Owl Head Lookout.
    • Tony Goodwin calls it Owl Head Lookout.
    • DEC trail sign calls it Owl Head Lookout.
    • USGS TNM GNIS calls it Owls Head Lookout.
    FWIW, when I posted a TR, I favored the local version and referred to it as Owl Head Lookout. However, it's hard to argue the point when folks can refer to USGS 7.5' Topo and USGS TNM GNIS (The National Map, Geographic Names Information System) and say "It's Owls Head Lookout!" :-/
    Looking for Views!

Comment

Iron mountain is on the list of projects for the trails day in early June, so it is possible that further trail work is planned. A friend has signed up for the work on this project, so I will definitely know more in about 3 weeks! I actually never heard of this mountain and now I am very interested.
      46/46 as of August 1st, 2014!

Comment

Anyone get the feeling that the USGS had an aversion to apostrophes? Maybe it should be Owl's Head Lookout. It seems like they had a tendency to skip apostrophes.
        I might be kidding...

Comment

I went over there and it seems just as I left it in November, except more leaves and twigs on the trail. Nice hike, though; minimal mud.
          Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
          SL6r #596
          Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

Hey MTV, where is the trailhead? I've been to Iron whacking from Owl Head Lookout, but would like to check out the other approach. Is it obvious from the road as one drives by?

Comment

It's about 2 miles south of Elizabethtown, on US9. Going south from Etown, the trailhead is a small pulloff on the west side of the highway, about 1/4 mile south of Lobdell Lane (which is a steel bridge going east over the Boquet). The actual trail is kind of hidden in the trees. It starts out as an old logging road going steeply up SSW from the SW side of the PA. No signs or trail markers. As you go up, keep on the lookout for a dug trail on the left, starting about 1/4 mile above the start. That will have a few blue ribbons on it. Last October, I 'whacked over to near OHL from Iron.
              Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
              SL6r #596
              Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

Don't miss the spectacular piece of bare rock just to the left of where the trail was marked with ribbons - at least marked as of last fall. If you have the E'town metric 1:25,000 topo, this open rock is shown. I'm pretty sure there is no mark on Iron Mt. as shown on the map, but there is a mark on the open rocky area.

Comment

I've detoured over that bare section; it is beautiful. What do you mean by "mark"?
                  Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
                  SL6r #596
                  Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

Maybe a benchmark, but perhaps only a drill hole.

Comment

On Saturday I bushwhacked from OHL to Iron Mtn. Very easy going with some beautiful open hard wood forest along the way.

I picked up the blue flagging (very abundant) for the new trail just off the summit and followed it all the way down. The descent took around an hour. There has been substantial recent work on the lower section of the trail. It spills out along Route 9 as described above (on the east side at a pullout not too far south of Lobdell Lane).

Comment

Working...
                      X