Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nubble, Rooster, Jo and Regis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nubble, Rooster, Jo and Regis

Will be headed up soon with teen daughter for two days to introduce her to LP and a few intentionally short, moderate, lower elevation day hikes. How does the list above sound? Any views from the Nubble and Giant Washbowl?

We expect wet and muddy, of course, and will have micros in case of lower ely ice.

Any other 2 - 3 hour suggestions besides Baxter or Owls Head, or neat attractions. Was thinking just Wright if she wants to go for high peak. Did Snowy last year.

Those are all awesome. Round Mountain, Hurricane, Pitchoff, and Jay Mt. all have breathtaking views too.
    ADK 46/46W, Grid 223/552
    Photos & Stuff

Comment

Try this thread... http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/f...es-in-the-adks

Have you looked at this list? http://www.adirondack.net/whatsnew/2...is-the-new-46/ Some good suggestions in there.

A few of the Saranac 6 might fit the bill too. Baker Mt in can be done in well under 2 hours including summit time. Haystack via the Jackrabbit Trail/ herdpath is short as well. A bit longer from the main trail. http://saranaclake6er.com/

2-3 hours is a tough limiting factor. Is that total round-trip time including summit? Or one way? A lot of the smaller fire towers would fit 2-3 hours total but would require a drive out of the LP area.

Comment

Saranac area would do the trick and that's how I stumbled on to St. Regis (with bonus of the firetower). Main goal is to entice her with up close encounters at the base of HPs without having to summit a HP in the rain over an extended 5 - 6 hour round trip. Rooster and Jo get you off the main road and into the foyer of the park.

I did Giant via Roaring Brook last year, but my party didn't even check out the falls, let alone washbowl or nubble so that will be just as much for me as her.

Have been up Rooster Comb too and want to descend by the trail over towards Snow this time. Also been thru the Loj three times to Marcy Dam, but never sauntered over to Jo and the lake so we'll do the loop there.
        Last edited by aortadax; 05-02-2017, 08:49 PM. Reason: added paragraphs

Comment

Not that big a fan of St. Regis. It's "OK", but it's a long trudge through flat woods before you climb the mountain. If you are going to drive that far, might better go back towards Placid and pick up one of the other hikes mentioned above.

Comment

How about Snow? About 1.5 miles from route 73 along the Deer Brook Trail. View of Giant is almost equivalent to that seen from Roostercomb. About 0.7 miles shorter (one-way) than Roostercomb.

Snow's view of Giant. by Taras D, on Flickr

Snow's view of Round and Noonmark. by Taras D, on Flickr
            Looking for Views!

Comment

You mention attractions - take her to the Adirondack Wildlife Refuge in Wilmington. Get there just before 10am to catch the wolf feeding. You wont be disappointed.

Comment

I missed the "attractions" question. Here are a few:

>Take in High Falls Gorge. It's the "Adirondack" version of Ausable Chasm. (Ausable Chasm is spectacular, but feels like Pennsylvania...)

>If the highway is open, you could drive up Whiteface.

>Visit an Olympic facility, such as the Bob Run or the Ice Arena.

Comment

Owls Head Lookout (from 9N near Etown)
                  Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
                  2nd round: 16
                  SL6r #596
                  Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

Bump for a very late trip report...

So we went up almost exactly a month ago. Rooster Comb from 73 on a gray day in low 40s. Saw no one else except at parking lot going in and pond on way out. An inch of wet snow on final summit approach. Valley view first, daughter gave it a thumbs up. She loved the cliff top main summit area and we scampered all over the rocks.

Feeling adventurous, we descended along the trail to Snow Mt. and then kept left onto Flume Brook trail which swings back north to Rooster Comb Trail after you lose most of the elevation. Fresh bear sign along that trail, 2 separate single paw prints and scat probably 2 or 3 days old. She was nervous, but the walk out was uneventful.

Jumped over to the Noonmark Diner for a late lunch and then walked into the base of Roaring Brook Falls -- very cool. Followed with a nice drive up to E-town to find the RPR trailhead from New Russia, Hurricane Mtn. trailhead, up through Jay and Wilmington and back to LP hotel. Had a great dinner in town where she decided we should go for Wright the next day. Thanks to my "training" through this forum, I was able to find detailed summit forecasts indicating ice and snow above 3700' and she does not have microspikes, so we nixed that and kept on script for Mt. Jo.

Mt. Jo is an awesome little peak!! Expansive summit area(s) and outstanding views of Macs, Wallface, etc. Not so much that day because of clouds and fog along Mac ridgeline, but it had the desired effect as she wants to get out there now. A school group joined us at the top before we took the long trail down after coming up on the short trail. Don't know why I expected "less" from Mt. Jo, the ADK just never disappoints.

Pics when I can figure out how to attach >10KB.

Comment

Note that Owls Head trail is now closed on weekends. If you haven't done it yet and can go on a weekday, do it hecause it's going to be closed permanently at the end of the summer.
                      Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
                      2nd round: 16
                      SL6r #596
                      Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

Working...
                      X