Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Esther Mountain Trail conditions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Esther Mountain Trail conditions?

Headed up to bag Esther tomorrow, any idea of the snow amounts and conditions up high?

Conditions are snowshoe-worthy to avoid post-holing in the soft, wet snow.

Looking for Views!

Comment

Thanks, we will definitely have the shoes

Comment

I was on Whiteface today, snow was very supportive from the summit of the Wilmington alpine ski trail (this where the chairlift is almost next to the trail). If the temps go below freezing tonight it will be excellent.

I did not wore my snowshoes and I did not post hole, the snow was so supportive. Cannot say from lower down since I went up from the ski area.
        8000m 0/14

Comment

What a beautiful day to be in the mountains on Friday! The snowshoes were very helpful above 3000 feet, especially coming down. Crampons would have probably sufficed, but since we didn't bring them, the cleats on the shoes were needed for traction. The snow spine was very supportive, but we did experience a few post hole episodes on the way up. I was wondering if anyone knew what those small shelters are/were used for on the trail, we saw two of them on this trip, I've never seen them on any other trail. They look like a permanent pup tent.

Comment

• Trail Boss
            Trail Boss commented
            Editing a comment
            Before the ski area was built on Whiteface, there was a ski area on Marble Mountain. They stored emergency gear (sleds) in those sheds. If you start the hike from the ASRC, you'll pass several large concrete blocks. These served as the foundations for the T-bar lift.

Comment

• Trail Boss
            Trail Boss commented
            Editing a comment
            Sled shed.

Ahh, that makes sense, I was also wondering about the concrete blocks and actually guessed correctly.

Comment

Working...
          X