Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lake ice condition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake ice condition

With the gathering and the huge amount of snow, many will be tempted to cross over on the lakes (Avalanche, Colden, Flowed lands). I already had a less than pleasant experience on Lake Colden's outlet going to Cliff/Redfield in March, so I wanted to get some opinions...

I'd be conservative and avoid it. There are VERY few places that a hiker wants to go the really require crossing ice. Skip it. Stay alive.

Comment

We actually have a guy in our group whose job is to measure the ice cover on lakes ... And he said it didn't look good ...
      Lyon Mountain Trail Adopter .

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
        We actually have a guy in our group whose job is to measure the ice cover on lakes ... And he said it didn't look good ...

AlpineLamb
        #8335W, Solo 46W
        46 Grid 241/552
        NH 48 4000'

One list may be done, but the journey is far from over...
        Half Dome, 2009

Comment

• AlpineLamb
          AlpineLamb commented
          Editing a comment
          I only saw this because I was reading the thread. I had no idea you @ed me? I never got a message or anything.
          See the newer information I posted below?
          Avalanche does not bother me, I have been over it with open water, just have to use the trail on the ends and maybe the hitch- ups. So even though it sounds good, we may use those precautions.
          Colden has made me nervous before and we have opted for the trail. I guess we will find out!

Lots of open water on Cascade lake today. I know it's several hundred feet lower than Avalanche and Colden, but....
        Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs

Comment

Natlife posted over in the gathering peaks thread.
          He had this to say:

Today, 02:09 PM
          The trail is now broken over the lakes and to just before the uphill lean-to. Turns out the trail was only broken till avalanche lake. I broke the rest took me 7 hours out and back from avalanche lean-to. The lakes are safe and wind swept, travel is easy. The woods though are a pain but not that bad. All the way to uphill from lake colden I kept gauging snowfall and it was pretty much always 16-24 inches.
          Think outside...no box required !

Comment

Working...
          X