Haystack ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haystack ?

Planning to attempt Haystack on the 20th - from the garden . Not sure if John's Brook will again be solid this year. Is Hopkins trail an option to bypass the brook?

Originally posted by RondackDave View Post
    Planning to attempt Haystack on the 20th - from the garden . Not sure if John's Brook will again be solid this year. Is Hopkins trail an option to bypass the brook?
    You could always go from ADK Lodge and not have to worry about dangerous stream crossings, unless you must go the Johns Brook route for some reason. There is a recent trip report on the ADK Lodge approach.
    For Donna¬’s birthday hike (what a great way to spend a birthday!) we made a last minute change in plans based on two conflicting reports ¬– one that said a

Comment

JB is probably refrozen now, but it is impossible to predict weather effect 10 days out.

Keep in mind that from the Loj to Haystack you have a 1000 ft climb over the shoulder of Marcy on the way back.

Comment

I say it's more like a 650-foot climb, and even less if the winter shortcut from the old Plateau Lean-to site is used. If you take the Hopkins Trail, you are faced with the same loss of altitude on the approach and the same climb on the way back. And the approach from the Loj is two miles shorter than the Hopkins Trail.

Comment

My trusty acme mapper says 750 max using the trail fully. 500 if anyone can find a bushwhack. Always fun to talk about maps. GPS, not so much.
          I might be kidding...

Comment

On a 6/24/15 hike (with very little altimeter error due to temperature) the total ascent from Haystack to the Van Ho junction was 940 ft (includes Little Haystack and climb back onto Horse Hill as well as the Phelps trail climb. Adding a couple of hundred feet ascent from ups/downs on the way back to the Loj and you have my "1000 ft" on the way back.

Comment

What Joe said!

Looking for Views!

Comment

You guys are amazing - thankyou for stats and advice. My need to travel from the 'garden' is that we are planning to stay at peggy o'brien the night before - it does sound doable if needed but I'll hope for continued cold to allow brook crossings. Dave

Comment

Yes, not knowing that the other route would not include Little Haystack and Horse Hill, I didn't add those. So yes, they add 200, which agrees with Joe.
                  I might be kidding...

Comment

Hopkins Trail does not get a lot of traffic, especially in the winter, and with the dump coming, may not be broken when you get to it...
                    #8335W, Solo 46W
                    NE 111 113/115

One list may be done, but the journey is far from over...
                    Half Dome, 2009

Comment

• RondackDave
                      RondackDave commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good point.

Johns Brook is fine. I was just over it on Friday and it was bomber (about 12" thick). Add 2 sub-zero days and 20+ inches of snow over the next week with temps diving. Not to worry. No need for Hopkins.
                    May your ambition for the goal allow you to be a student of the journey.

www.adirondackmountaineering.com

Comment

• RondackDave
                      RondackDave commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That is great to hear. Thanks.

Agree with No Hopkins route. Just did Haystack Monday March 13 (see my post). Saw some tracks, like a single pair heading on the Hopkins trail but they may have been just curiously going in 500 feet, more likely. Johns Brook crossing plus the part where it parallels trail plus all lesser stream crossings look solid until the next 50 degree rain makes them open again.

Comment

RondackDave

​FYI
                      ​There's a group of 8 hikers from MOAC (a Montreal-based Meetup group) that plans to ascend Haystack on Saturday. I know the leader and she's a very fit and seasoned hiker as well as an excellent trip-organizer. So far the trip is still on so, on Monday, you may find a broken-out trail from the Garden to the summit of Haystack. I say "may" because it sounds like the conditions will make it very challenging for even 8 people to plow their way to Haystack. FWIW, I've already discarded thoughts of heading to the Santanonis all by lonesome. I might vulture Highonlife's track to Basin.
                      Looking for Views!

Comment

Expect something like 3 feet (1 meter) of new snow or more in the High Peaks. Driving and parking may be difficult at the Garden, depending on vehicle type.

Comment

^^^^^
                          ​Very true!

​I recently replied to someone's inquiry about the optimal route to Haystack (ye olde Loj vs Garden dilemma) and listed the many things to consider in winter (especially after a major snowstorm). The first one is just getting to the trail-head ... followed by parking at the trail-head. The road to the Garden is steep and narrow and the lot might become smaller because there's a football field's worth of snow to dispose of somewhere. Access to the Loj is almost a given because, well, there's a lodge with paying guests.

​Starting from the Loj might start out OK because Marcy is a popular destination with hikers and skiers. However, the short descent along the Phelps Trail, off the Van Hoe towards Haystack, sees little traffic and, after this snowstorm, all its trail-markers are probably submerged (obscured at the very least). Then you have to re-climb it later.

​I suggested they aim for the Garden and cross their fingers that the lot is (mostly) plowed (by Saturday).

​BTW, based on personaI experience a few years ago I would not count on spotting any trail-markers above 3800 feet elevation. Make sure you have some other means of navigation handy (especially if you are in the lead of the trail-breaking "caterpillar").
                          Looking for Views!

Comment

Working...
                          X