Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

marshall from upper works on sunday 3/12

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marshall from upper works on sunday 3/12

i realize that the highwater bridge is considered "closed". does that mean it will be blocked off and totally closed? is there a chance that the whole trail section including the bridge might be closed off?

When it is officially closed by the DEC it is usually marked as such and to cross it would be A) Unwise and B) illegal. Look for safe alternative crossings
    "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
    Ed Viesturs

Comment

From DEC:

"Calamity Brook Trail: The high water bridge on the Calamity Trail is unsafe and unusable and should not be crossed. Crossing Calamity Brook, which is completely open at this time, without using the bridge will be difficult especially with high water levels. On warm and rainy days water levels in the brook will be higher in the afternoon, plan accordingly. The East River Trail (aka the Opalescent River/Hanging Spear Falls Trail) can be used to access the Flowed Lands and Lake Colden. It is an additional 3.7 miles one-way to reach the Flowed Lands using this route. DEC will work to stabilize and repair the high water bridge in the spring."

I'm not sure what the legal open or closed status would be.

Comment

• ADKJack
        ADKJack commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess it hasn't been officially closed but "unsafe and unusable" certainly seems to support my premise A. :-)

Crossing should be relatively frozen at this point. Watch out for miscellaneous herd paths toward the top of Marshall. Be sure to find the sign!
      #8335W, Solo 46W
      46 Grid 241/552
      NH 48 4000'

One list may be done, but the journey is far from over...
      Half Dome, 2009

Comment

Working...
      X