Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snow conditions? Algonquin, Angel/Airplane Slides, Marcy for "sketchy" skiing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow conditions? Algonquin, Angel/Airplane Slides, Marcy for "sketchy" skiing

Looking for any first hand reports of trail conditions heading out from the Loj to Algonquin, Marcy Dam, Mount Marcy and points nearby.

Specifically, are the trails heading out covered in enough of a frozen base that most rocks are covered and trails are "skiable"? I can deal with some sketchy, touch and go conditions...but hoping that things are more of a "go" and less "touchy" if you know what I mean.

If trail conditions down low are too bare, at what elevation do things fill in to be passable on skis?

And as for conditions a bit higher up...is there enough snow in the snowfields of Airplane Slides, Angel Slides or any of the other nearby open areas? What about up on the cone of Marcy?

We are looking to get out Sunday/Monday/Tuesday. Any insight most appreciated. Thanks!

Jamie
    Think cold thoughts.

Catskill 3500 39/39 | 35/35W | 35/35 Ski

FYI, But you most likely already have heard that this weekends ski fest was cancelled due to poor conditions: " The 2017 Adirondack Backcountry Ski Festival is CANCELLED….

Given the backcountry conditions we do not feel as though we can provide a high quality, safe learning environment for skiing the backcountry. The recent week long warm up followed by heavy rains and a freeze has left open rivers, downed trees, a rock hard and disheartening snowpack. We’re sorry to be the bearer of bad news! Thank you for the support and we hope to see you all next year."

I saw this morning on a FB post that there is classic full on neve conditions up high, no freshies to be had. The post was in regard to a climbing traverse up Gothics NF, traverse the range to Grand Central Slide out of Panther Gorge, up Marcy, and up SE Slide to Golden. No sign of skis in their photos.

Comment

Yup, sadly aware it was cancelled...but we planned to be here 1 year ago...so we're here with the cards mother nature is dealing. I know there's a pocket of snow somewhere out there that'll give us a couple of turns...
      Think cold thoughts.

Catskill 3500 39/39 | 35/35W | 35/35 Ski

Comment

Uhhh.... leave your skis, bring your ice skates.

Originally posted by CatskillTracks View Post
        I know there's a pocket of snow somewhere out there that'll give us a couple of turns...
        This is absolutely true. Head to Whiteface. Even they closed every trail that they couldn't get a groomer on. They were using winch cats (typically reserved for the steepest trails to help assist the grooming cats up and down) on even moderate terrain. Rain feel from 9000 feet to sea level during the last storm. Everything is a popsicle. If you do decide to head for the BC, I strongly recommend crampons and a whippet. Have fun.

Comment

Working...
        X