Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women of Altitude

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women of Altitude

Women with altitude by Carol White just hit the stores. This will put you in the mood for winter hiking. It is about 33 women who have done the winter 46.
    Last edited by adk-46r; 12-03-2005, 08:12 PM.
    IT IS NOT A PARK
    IT IS THE ADIRONDACKS
    I WAS BORN HERE
    IT IS MY HOME
    IT IS WHERE I WORK

That's a co-incidence....

Neil is writing a book called "Women of Attitude"

He's known a few in his life. Funny thing is they got their attitudes AFTER meeting him!!
    To Boldly Go where no trail marker has gone before...........

It ain't your daddy's Trail Food!!...HAWK VITTLES

Redhawks Lodge

Comment

He must of known my ex wife really well then
      IT IS NOT A PARK
      IT IS THE ADIRONDACKS
      I WAS BORN HERE
      IT IS MY HOME
      IT IS WHERE I WORK

Comment

Originally posted by hawk
        Neil is writing a book called "Women of Attitude"

He's known a few in his life. Funny thing is they got their attitudes AFTER meeting him!!
        Hawk, you make me :lol:
        Yvon,
        Montreal, Quebec, Canada

--------------------------------
        Les randonnées de Annie et Yvon (Website)
        Photo galery Yvon Daigle

Comment

Originally posted by adk-46r
          Women of altitude by Carol White just hit the stores. This will put you in the mood for winter hiking. It is about 32 women who have done the winter 46.
          The title is "Women With Altitude," edited by Carol White, written about 33 Women who have climbed the Winter 46, during the Canister Era.

I have read almost the whole book already and it is one Awesome Read! The autobiograpies and stories of the women are amazing.
          Last edited by Skyclimber; 12-06-2005, 06:20 AM.
          It is easier to become a Forty Sixer than to be one. The art of the being is to keep one's sense of wonder after the excitement of the game is over. ...”There are few experiences in life that do not need to be expressed in words. Becoming a Forty-Sixer is one... How to be one is up to the individual.”

Paul Jamieson Class of '58

Comment

Is the book available online anywhere?
            Shut your eyes and think of somewhere
            Somewhere cold and caked in snow.......

Comment

Originally posted by adkdremn
              Is the book available online anywhere?
              Yes. Under northcountrybooks.com $19.95 plus tax, shipping/handling
              It is easier to become a Forty Sixer than to be one. The art of the being is to keep one's sense of wonder after the excitement of the game is over. ...”There are few experiences in life that do not need to be expressed in words. Becoming a Forty-Sixer is one... How to be one is up to the individual.”

Comment

Originally posted by Skyclimber
                The title is "Women With Altitude," edited by Carol White, written about 33 Women who have climbed the Winter 46, during the Canister Era.

I have read almost the whole book already and it is one Awesome Read! The autobiograpies and stories of the women are amazing.
                You're one of the 33 aren't you Sky?
                To Boldly Go where no trail marker has gone before...........

It ain't your daddy's Trail Food!!...HAWK VITTLES

Redhawks Lodge

Comment

Originally posted by hawk
                  You're one of the 33 aren't you Sky?
                  Yes, Chapter 15, Proudly!
                  December 17th, we have a book signing scheduled at Bookstore Plus on Main Street in Lake Placid, from 4-6 o'clock.
                  Last edited by Skyclimber; 12-07-2005, 11:11 AM.

Comment

I was in the book store over the weekend and noticed the book "Women with Altitude". I purchased it for my wife for christmas, I read chapter 15 and would like to say that the chapter was very empowering. The book is very inspiring, thanks for sharing your story.
                    Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Will Rogers

Comment

I picked the book up the other night. It's a great read. I hope I can make it up for the autograph session. It would be neat top get some signatures with each chapter.
                      set the gear shift for the high gear of your soul...T.A.

Comment

I also bought it as a gift, then started reading it. It's good right from the intro.
                        set the gear shift for the high gear of your soul...T.A.

Comment

I'm gonna get a copy too. I hope it get's me in touch with my feminine side.

Also, I plan to read the stories aloud to Neil at the winter gathering, making sure to overtly gush and marvel at these fine lady's accomplishments, while simultaneously chiding him for his lack thereof.

If I had any pride, I might even feel a little touch underachieving myself. Naaaaaah.......... It's better to be an underachieving loser, that way, I'll never be disappointed in myself .

In all seriousness, Congrats Sky, your story is well worthy publishing.
                          "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

I can see it now. I'm sitting in a rocker, a blank stare in my eye and a trembling chin. A comforter on my lap keeps me warm in the overheated room while Tim reads aloud how Skyclimber searched for the cannister on Seward. Suddnely I break wind and crack a demented smile. Then I walk out the door and lay down in the Ausable River for one minute before heading up Sentinel dressed in a business suit.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil
                              I can see it now. I'm sitting in a rocker, a blank stare in my eye and a trembling chin. A comforter on my lap keeps me warm in the overheated room while Tim reads aloud how Skyclimber searched for the cannister on Seward. Suddnely I break wind and crack a demented smile. Then I walk out the door and lay down in the Ausable River for one minute before heading up Sentinel dressed in a business suit.
                              Ya then just wait until Part 2 of Skyclimber searching for the Seward canister, in Judy King's chapter! Bring on the tissues.

In all seriousness though, "if you didn't find and sign the canister, you didn't always, get to count, the climb."
                              Last edited by Skyclimber; 12-12-2005, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X