Gore Mountain removed from the Fire Tower Challenge list during ski season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gore Mountain removed from the Fire Tower Challenge list during ski season

update posted 2/3/18 on the web site of the Glens Falls/Saratoga Chapter of the Adirondack Mountain Club:

"Due to Gore Mountain not allowing uphill travel during ski season the ADK Fire Tower Challenge committee has decided to remove Gore from the tower list during the winter ski season. Dates will vary depending on the opening and closing of the ski season. This is being done for obvious safety reasons."

This effectively reduces the number of towers to 29 if you're working toward the winter rocker. As far as I can tell, hiking to a minimum of 23 towers (18 ADK & 5 Catskills) is still required to complete the FT Challenge.

I got booted off the mountain 5 years ago while trying to hike on a marked trail in the winter. All that real estate and they cannot find a route that doesn't interfere with ski traffic.
    ADK 46/46 20W
    Catskills 39/39 16W
    NE115 89/115

Comment

Originally posted by GeoDAKer View Post
      I got booted off the mountain 5 years ago while trying to hike on a marked trail in the winter. All that real estate and they cannot find a route that doesn't interfere with ski traffic.
      The 2001 edition of the ADK Guide Book for the Fire Tower Challenge did state that the Schafer trail was closed to the summit during ski season.

Took ADK a while to clarify that.

Did you make it to where the hiking and ski trails are joined before getting turned around?

Don

Comment

It has been a while but I made it to the top of the highest lift before being flagged. I was a aware the Schafer trail was a rerouted recently at the time.

I did not read the 2001 addition of the guide book before I set out. There was also no sign at the beginning of the trail that said closed. I was actually told I was not on the trail. I had to show ski patrol there was a trail marker on the slope.

Oh well, I got a fun snowmobile ride back. I wonder if hiking it after the ski center closes in winter is an option.
        ADK 46/46 20W
        Catskills 39/39 16W
        NE115 89/115

Comment

I'm not sure exactly where you were. The top of the highest lift (lift 7) is at the summit of Gore. So you may have made the summit; or you may have been near one of the lower lifts. I suspect you were at the top of lift 6, a little below the summit, based on where the trails run.

If you are looking to summit in "calendar winter" then that may be a challenge. The ski center is generally open for skiing from about Thanksgiving to early April, so that covers all of calendar winter. (I know Neil is working on that this winter for Project 100. Of course he is doing a fund raising project, so he may be able to request a special exception. If he is allowed to climb, that will probably be a "one time exception" for Neil only.)

Of course the other option is to bushwhack. Gore is tough, with lots of cliffs, steep areas, subsidiary summits, and a patchwork of private land around it. So you would have to do your homework and be ready for a tough hike!

Comment

To be honest I'm not exactly sure my location. I never saw a firetower. Maybe lift 6.

I don't really care that much to return. I got several other hiking priorities to keep going. Gore was an alternative to Mt Colden after a giant snow storm that weekend.
            ADK 46/46 20W
            Catskills 39/39 16W
            NE115 89/115

Comment

Working...
            X