Route question for Cheney Cobble.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Route question for Cheney Cobble.

I'm looking at doing CC and NR from the Allen trailhead, crossing the Opie on the bridge then taking a road, which goes south across a bridge over Dudley Brook. The same road then turns east and I plan on taking it for a stretch (it appears to end here) before turning up towards Cheney. I recall some discussion between Trail Boss and tgoodwin regarding this area and I concluded it was now public domain. Have I got that right?

Also,it would appear that there are two bridged crossings of Dudley on two different roads. Any knowledge about the state of these bridges?
    Project-100: 100 peaks, one winter. https://project100singlewinter.wordpress.com/

As far as I know, there's no bridge over Dudley Brook adjacent to the Opalescent River. That ancient topo map, in your Acme Mapper link, suggests there's a nice road paralleling the Opalescent, crosses Dudley, and then turn hard east. Nope; I saw no bridge.

What you will find paralleling the Opalescent is the foot trail that ran north from the temporary crossing (i.e. the long-standing ford everyone used prior to the construction of the suspension bridge). That short section of trail has been abandoned but it still exists (although may be less evident in winter). Anyhow, a fainter version of that trail does continue a few yards south/southeast to Dudley Brook ... and then bupkis; no bridge.

The goal is to get onto the road system in there and I can tell you I would not do it the way I did it last summer. I followed a very old logging road that runs parallel to Dudley Brook. Picking up the western end of this faint road is needlessly messy and I imagine following it in winter is probably a bit of a PITA.

Two options. Either cross the frozen Opalescent River or frozen Dudley Brook to get to "Adirondack Park Preserve Road" ASAP.

1) Cross the Opalescent River.
    If the Opalescent River is frozen over, exit the main trail here where the old "Adirondack Park Preserve Road" splits off (this is south of the old 'temporary crossing'), crosses the Opalescent, comes out on the east bank and continues eastward. There's no bushwhacking involved and the road is plain as day. Examine the satellite view and you'll see the road clearly starts on the east bank of the Opalescent. It runs east, through a clearing, and ends at a T-junction. You'll head left (north) for a short distance then, at the very next intersection (there's a clearing with a two-storey building; posted private property), turn right (east) and keep going until you find a place to exit for Cheney Cobble. Easy-peasy navigation along broad roads.

2) Cross Dudley Brook.
    If the Opalescent is not frozen over, cross the suspension bridge then turn south (yep, some backtracking is involved here) and follow the abandoned trail to Dudley's northern bank. Cross wherever feasible ('cuz there's no bridge) and then bushwhack south until you intersect "Adirondack Park Preserve" road (i.e. same road and same place as described in the first option above). Continue east from there along the road.

WORST CASE
    Do what I did last summer. Cross the suspension bridge, head south to Dudley Brook, head east along the brook (maybe 100-150 yards?) until you see a faint "road" running north, follow that for about 50 feet then turn right (east) along an old logging road that parallels Dudley Brook and ends at Opalescent Road. Yeah, given lots of pristine snow, every smooth patch will look like the vestiges of an old road. Without prior knowledge gained in summer, finding this old logging road in winter might be a frustrating experience.
    Looking for Views!

Comment

Is there not a bridge across Dudley here?
      http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=44.06035,...0Skylight%20NY
      Project-100: 100 peaks, one winter. https://project100singlewinter.wordpress.com/

Comment

Yes, but that's well "inland" of the Opalescent River. You mentioned "crossing the Opie on the bridge then taking a road, which goes south across a bridge over Dudley Brook". Well, there's a big gap between 'crossing the Opie' and *that* bridge! The old topo map shows a road crossing Dudley Brook right next to the Opalescent ... and that one does not exist.
        Looking for Views!

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post

WORST CASE
          Do what I did last summer. Cross the suspension bridge, head south to Dudley Brook, head east along the brook (maybe 100-150 yards?) until you see a faint "road" running north, follow that for about 50 feet then turn right (east) along an old logging road that parallels Dudley Brook and ends at Opalescent Road. Yeah, given lots of pristine snow, every smooth patch will look like the vestiges of an old road. Without prior knowledge gained in summer, finding this old logging road in winter might be a frustrating experience.
          In fact, I had considered this firstly as a route thinking it would be a whack to Opalescent Road and that there would be a bridge as per my above link.
          I doubt the Opalescent will be frozen over on Saturday but we'll hope so.

Comment

OK, if unfrozen then you cross via the suspension bridge and head south to Dudley's bank. Now you have two options:
            1) Head east and try to pick up the sketchy old logging road that parallels Dudley Brook.
            2) Cross Dudley and bushwhack south to intersect ADK Park Preserve Road.

Personally, I'd try option 2 only because I've done option 1 and wasn't impressed (I wouldn't even recommend it to anyone for summer use).
            Looking for Views!

Comment

The bridge near the building is definitely still there. I used it last summer, and it's not hard at all to reach. If the Opalescent is frozen, then that's the way to go. if not, cross the suspension bridge, go down the river until you are just in sight of Dudley (Skylight) Brook. Turn east and you should find an old lumber road. Follow that for a few yards to a junction with an older (but still plain last summer) lumber road going right and paralleling Dudley Brook to the main road just north of the bridge over Dudley Brook. After that, you are on your own to get Cheney Cobble and North River Mt.

Comment

Originally posted by tgoodwin View Post
                After that, you are on your own to get Cheney Cobble and North River Mt.
                What? No roads to the summits? This is going to be harder than I thought!!

Comment

Working...
                X