I Say 'Uncle" When...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Say 'Uncle" When...

The forecast is calling for as low as -43F. Anybody else rescheduling planned excursions for milder temps?

http://www.syracuse.com/state/index....art_river_home
    My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Naah. Wind chills aren't as relevant as weather forecasters make them out to be. Cover up.

This came up a couple years back when there was -40 forecast and someone asked about hiking Cascade. Many responses warned about how brutally cold it would be, and then the following week there were several trip reports from the same day, some even from Cascade.

Be smart, don't do anything you're uncomfortable with, dress for the ambient air temperature, and protect exposed skin if you're in the wind.
    ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 238/552
    Photos & Stuff

Comment

• FlyFishingandBeer
      FlyFishingandBeer commented
      Editing a comment
      I was on Wright's summit a couple of years ago at about -48F. It just wasn't worth it. Granted minus teens ambient temp isn't all that bad, but my "screw this" point comes when the summit is physically uncomfortable to stand on. I'm just not that full of p!ss and vinegar anymore!

Uncle! And happy to say so. My flu morphed into bronchitis and I've been coughing and miserable for two straight weeks. Took the prescribed meds and probably will be well enough to go hiking by the weekend but the forecast has given me the perfect excuse to stay home and rest up for another week. Big negative wind chills and having to cover every little bit of exposed skin is no fun for me in the same way that hiking in the rain and stewing inside a rain jacket is no fun for me. Since my primary goal is to have fun I'll just stay home.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyFishingandBeer View Post
      The forecast is calling for as low as -43F. Anybody else rescheduling planned excursions for milder temps?

http://www.syracuse.com/state/index....art_river_home
      I'm staying home.

On days like these I've found it more enjoyable to go Nordic skiing somewhere. Generally it's pretty quiet in the woods. But even on a trip on skies you can't stop too much or too long.

Don

Comment

• FlyFishingandBeer
        FlyFishingandBeer commented
        Editing a comment
        Low country skiing is my favorite go-to for really cold days. Was planning on making a summit or two this coming Saturday, but it looks like we'll be sticking to the Nordic trails again.

Went out today...wasn't that bad if you knew where to go, and where not to go. Phelps was a good choice, no wind on the summit...
      Lowest I've been out is -26F in the Sewards....I'd do it again.
      #8335W, Solo 46W
      NE 111 113/115

One list may be done, but the journey is far from over...
      Half Dome, 2009

Comment

If it's calm and sunny, I'll brave colder temps (down to -20C)than if it's cold and windy. No thanks. Yes, postponing things. Argh.

Comment

There comes a point where hiking stops being fun and starts being something you endure. Many of us can handle these temps but the question is why? I personally draw the line somewhere around -10 deg F (through some combination of ambient temps or windchill). I can go lower but I gain nothing from the experience and increase my risk. So what am I doing it for? Some list? A Facebook post bragging about it? I'll go have a few beers in town and wait for better days. I had a rare Christmas week off this year and as much as it pained me to "forfeit" the week I only did short local stuff....and may have had a few beers. :p

Comment

Well put, Day Trip. I scrubbed two hikes last week according to more or less the logic above -- it becomes more about managing and less about having a good time, so why am I out there? On the flip side, every time the temps peeked above zero this week all the runners and walkers in my neighborhood hit the road, and it was like a happy festive meet-and-greet out there.

I *am* getting itchy, though. The coming Saturday's forecast looks just as awful, but I'm going out somewhere -- maybe not anywhere very deep, but I'm going hiking dammit.
            Winter hiking -- "It's so easy an eight year old can do it!"

- Photobug65

Comment

• DayTrip
              DayTrip commented
              Editing a comment
              Me too. I'm going on 5 weeks now without a trip to the mountains due to various holiday commitments and the weather. I'm going to suit up in all my big boy gear this weekend and give it a go somewhere. I did a really good job getting into shape this Fall and was ready for Winter hiking but those conditioning gains are starting to fade. Have to get out there for maintenance if nothing else.
          Working...
          X