Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenSnowMap.org - Ski trails in the High Peaks.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSnowMap.org - Ski trails in the High Peaks.

I've turned my attention to mapping several popular ski trails in the High Peaks (in OpenStreetMap). There are a few differences between skiing and hiking trails. The most significant one is that a ski trail can run across a lake. Ski trails are defined differently in OpenStreetMap ... so they don't show up as watery hiking trails! You can indicate a ski trail's difficulty (easy, intermediate, advanced, etc), style of skiing (downhill, nordic, skating, etc) and the grooming style (backcountry, classic, etc).

In OpenStreetMap, I've defined a few of the obvious ones like Whale's Tail, Wright, Van Hoevenberg, Avalanche Pass, Lake Colden, Flowed Lands, Calamity Brook, Marcy Dam Truck Trail, Mr. Van Ski Trail, a few sections of the Jackrabbit Trail, and the circuitous routes at the Olympic Bobsled Center. OpenSnowMap highlights ski trails defined in OpenStreetMap.

http://www.opensnowmap.org/?zoom=13&...e&marker=false

I've only skied the first few easy miles of the Calamity Brook Trail and from the Loj to Avalanche Lake. Therefore I'm not an authority on difficulty ratings. Basically, I've used contour lines to guide me. If fairly flat, it's "easy", slopes make it "intermediate", and anything with significant elly gain or very rumpled terrain is "advanced". Honestly, I didn't spend too much time on it so it's left as an exercise for others to complete.

OpenSnowMap exposes a lot of useful information. It lists all ski trails in a given area. It shows each trail's distance and ascent (including an elevation profile). It uses icons and line-styles to identify the trail's difficulty, grooming and skiing type. If you click on two points (your intended origin and destination) it'll highlight your chosen route and display its total distance and ascent. However, I've only had success with this feature in desktop mode and not mobile mode. The map can also be printed and/or shared via URL.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Olympic Bobsled Center.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	482428
    Looking for Views!

Make sure to [ick up Tony's book as a source: https://www.amazon.com/Snowshoe-Trai.../dp/1931951020

Also, curious about the base map you are using - the parking and roads at Van Ho are not shown accurately at all, and some of the trails are a little out of kilter. Recommend picking up a current Van Ho trail map.

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
      I've turned my attention to mapping several popular ski trails in the High Peaks (in OpenStreetMap).

...a few sections of the Jackrabbit Trail,
      Maps of the Jackrabbit Trail can be found here: http://www.jackrabbittrail.org/mapdescriptions.html

Comment

Originally posted by tcd View Post
        Make sure to [ick up Tony's book as a source: https://www.amazon.com/Snowshoe-Trai.../dp/1931951020

Also, curious about the base map you are using - the parking and roads at Van Ho are not shown accurately at all, and some of the trails are a little out of kilter. Recommend picking up a current Van Ho trail map.
        What's inaccurate about the parking and roads?

The basemap is OpenStreetMap and the trails at the Olympic Sports Complex were drawn based on two references: the OSC's online ski trail map
        http://www.whiteface.com/facilities/mt-van-hoevenberg and 2017 Strava Heatmap. What's out of kilter?

EDIT
        I layered OSM's data onto ESRI World Imagery and I can see there ought to be a "parking_aisle" drawn through the leftmost parking area. Anything else?

Click image for larger version  Name:	OSC Parking.JPG Views:	1 Size:	311.6 KB ID:	482438
        Last edited by Trail Boss; 12-17-2017, 10:29 PM. Reason: Fixed broken URL
        Looking for Views!

Comment

I agree with TCD that the Van Ho trails are not correct, nor is the parking. The image you put on your last post shows a blue line starting at the point of a turn in the entrance road. That is the entrance to a large parking lot for the X-C Area. I'm not going to try and hand-correct your map. As TCD said, get a (gasp!) paper map of the Van Ho trails to see what is and isn't there. Technology does have its limits sometimes.

Comment

Gentlemen,

You have me at a disadvantage. I've never set foot in this area and my only resources are satellite imagery and the free map they have posted on their web-site: http://www.whiteface.com/sites/defau..._trailmap1.pdf

Is it the same as the paper map you mentioned? BTW, if it is a paid paper map then it is probably copyrighted and I cannot use it as a reference for mapping in OSM.

I've made a few modifications so that OSM's version of the parking area looks more like the one shown in OSC_trailmap1.pdf. For reasons too boring to explain, I created a U-shaped parking-aisle within the large parking area and connected the ski trails to it as well as a service road running to what I assume is the ski center.

Name:	Mt. Van Hoevenberg Ski Center - Parking Area.JPG
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	482446

Looking for Views!

Comment

Looks better! I don't believe that the public has access to the four long narrow rectangular areas you have shown parallel to the access road.

Trails still need fixing. I don't believe that the "upper" blue marked line is open for skiing (the line that runs from the parking are over to the access road across from the T interesection. That's a fenced off service road. I have not proof read the rest of the ski trails, but based on this there may be numerous errors.

Comment

RE: 4 narrow parking areas. If they're not for the public's use then I can tag it with an "access" key to indicate it is restricted parking. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access
                Who is allowed to park there? That'll help me choose the correct value for the access key (private, customers, delivery, etc).

You're right, that trail is not indicated on the OSC's map and, based on your information, I've just deleted it.

OSM's version of the ski trails was drawn a long time ago and was incomplete. When I chose to revise them, using the OSC's map and 2017 Strava Heatmap as references, I discovered many discrepancies between all three. OSC would show a trail where Strava indicated none (i.e. no recorded GPS traffic along the alleged trail). In other cases, Strava showed traffic where OSC indicated no trail (as in this case with the trail I just deleted).

It was a very tedious undertaking because it's all spaghetti, difficult to unravel, and the (frustratingly low-res) OSC map proved to be less than a gold-standard. Ideally, a survey would clarify the discrepancies (but I have no desire to do that).

FWIW, here's what it looks like in the map editor (without satellite imagery). If you compare this rat's nest to the OSC's map, you'll see that where people actually go and where the OSC map says to go are not in perfect sync. In this view you'll see at least six examples of where I have not drawn trails, over Strava's scribblings, because I can't find matching trails on the OSC's map (even though people are clearly following some kind of path). There's also at least one example of a ski trail that has no supporting Strava data. That might be a genuine error.

Name:	Mt. Van Hoevenberg Ski Center.JPG
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	482465

Looking for Views!

Comment

I don't know if the Van Hoevenberg trail map is copyrighted, but until you get that you're not going to get an accurate ski trail map. There are also snowshoe trails, some of which double as single-track mountain bike trails in the summer. That would account for heat map showing use where there is no ski trail

As for the four restricted parking lots, those are for major events at the bob/luge run.

Comment

So this recommended map is not the same as the one provided by the Olympic Sports Complex?

What is the map's name and where can I get it? I checked the Mountaineer's website and couldn't find a ski map.
                    Looking for Views!

Comment

Yes, it is the map handed out at the Olympic sports Complex that you want.

Comment

Working...
                      X