Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Heatmap of the High Peaks, compliments of Strava.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Heatmap of the High Peaks, compliments of Strava.

Strava has published an updated version of its Global Heatmap. Behold the glowing trails of the High Peaks!

https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#13.....11566/hot/run

Brighter colors mean more data was collected which also means greater popularity (more foot-traffic). The well-known thruways like the Van Hoevenberg, Avalanche Pass, and Algonquin trails glow bright yellow. In contrast, low-traffic trails like Haystack Brook, Preston Ponds, and Indian Pass-Calamity Brook, merely register a dim purple.

FWIW, as soon as Strava has their Tile Map Service (TMS) displaying this treasure trove of updated data, I'll be using it to refine the foot and ski trails depicted in OpenStreetMap

Looking for Views!

I knew about Strava, but hadn't really thought much about applying the data that is constantly collected. This is fascinating. The things you can see and learn from the data.
    46R #4772W

Comment

Interesting, but results are as expected.

FYI, displays in Chrome, does not display in IE.

Comment

wow this is much more detailed than the 2015 and 2016 versions of the heat map. quite interesting to see the common slide climb and bushwhack routes and how often they are used as well as the variations (and sometimes lack of!) that occur.

edit:

also interesting to see some of my handiwork included! i can see the tracks of trails i helped build as well as a few routes i think are unique to me.

checking some of those unique routes i have done, the heat map A. includes routes taken only once (though you have to zoom in quite far) and B. is at least two weeks behind the current date.

Comment

Neat, huh?

Even the recent reroutes are visible. Here's the one along the Van Hoevenberg just north of Marcy Dam.
          https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#17.....16008/hot/run

The one along the Avy Pass trail, just south of Avy Camp, is also visible.

Lots of interesting tidbits like the Stimson Trail to Noonmark appears to get more traffic than the Weston Trail to Round.
          https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#14.....13516/hot/run

The trails to Lost Lookout and Bear Run don't get a lot of love.
          Looking for Views!

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
            Even the recent reroutes are visible. Here's the one along the Van Hoevenberg just north of Marcy Dam.
            https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#17.....16008/hot/run
            Is this reroute still in place?

Any word yet on what the motivation is?

The reroute makes the "squirrel crossing" (visible on the map) more attractive.

Comment

Both reroutes were in use when I was there 3 weeks ago. Given the amount of attention and effort they appear to have received, I'd be surprised if they're not permanent. The one along the Van Hoevenberg avoids the two deep dips just north of Marcy Dam (or at least 1 anyway). My guess is the reroute, along gentle terrain, avoids having to renovate the rustic stairs (not sure if that's the correct term to describe them) in the dips.

Looking for Views!

Comment

• sendtomaz
                sendtomaz commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for that.

Lots of interesting info in there. Especially on certain popular whacks.

Comment

What time period does this cover? There's no evidence of the Cascade Columbus Day reroute.

"Runs" apparently incorporates hiking and skiing as the Van Hoevenberg cross country trails are well defined. Lots of evidence of skiers accessing the Cascade Loop from 73 and presumably avoiding the trail fees.

Comment

• Trail Boss
                  Trail Boss commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's possible the data doesn't include recent tracks (i.e. from October). However, even if it does, the "Columbus Day Reroute" was a brief blip in time (one rainy long weekend). Someone would have had to record their trip and uploaded it to Strava and, given the weather, perhaps no bothered to do any of that.

I have mixed feelings about posting one's bushwhack-tracks on aggregators like Strava. If the goal is to go off-trail for the added navigational challenge, sharing your route online seems to contradict the spirit of the pursuit. It feels very much like flagging the route for others to see ... especially when combined with other submissions to create a heatmap. Just another example of technology being a double-edged sword.

There are some very popular bushwhack routes in the Whites. I shared this Heatmap on VFTT and linked to the Black Pond bushwhack (fascinating how it quickly becomes a braided path). Several other examples were provided and most shows signs of far more traffic than common bushwhacks in the High Peaks.

Looking for Views!

Comment

Why do the tracks up Colden's Southeast Slide all stop short of the trail?

Comment

• sendtomaz
                    sendtomaz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "same can be observed for the Bennies Brook Slide"

lots of tracks from Bennies onto the trail
                    https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#20.....15018/hot/run

• Johnnycakes
                    Johnnycakes commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The data must be displaying differently on my system/browser. The tracks are significantly weaker (virtually nonexistent) at the top of Bennies Brook on my browser (viewed in "Hot"). If I view in Blue, I do see tracks to the summit of LWJ. I also see better tracks to Colden summit on SE slide if I view in blue.

• Kenmore
                    Kenmore commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I would bet that the tracks on the south east slide of Colden are from skiers... who have no interest in pushing through krummholtz up the last pitch to the summit. Once they've got to the top of the slide, its time to strap on the boards and head back down. Certainly there are only a few tracks on that side - so a smaller data set could be "hiker free". My gut feeling would be that people looking to hike/climb Colden on a slide would more likely head up Trap Dike than the south east slide.

Panther Gorge should be lit up like a Xmas tree but it's trackless. I guess mudrat doesn't post to Strava.

It's good. Some places should be left "untracked" and open to one's imagination
                  Looking for Views!

Comment

• moosebeware
                    moosebeware commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agreed that some things should be left "untracked". But then, I don't use Strava.

OSM shows a southern spur just east of the Colden summit that sees a little traffic on Strava. https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#19.....12700/hot/run

But there's a northern spur further east on Strava that sees a ton of traffic but is not on OSM. A view point I presume? https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#19.....12999/hot/run

Edit 1: Looks like my first link is wrong. Link is the top of the Southeast Slide. Don't see the OSM spur on Strava.

Edit 2: When viewing the northern spur with a satellite base layer the view point is very obvious.

Comment

• Johnnycakes
                    Johnnycakes commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Almost certain that the northern spur further east of the summit is where the trail tops out on "Little Colden" . The trail is not obvious there and takes a sharp turn. I'm sure many folks continue to the north looking for the trail. This is especially easy to do in the winter if the trail isn't broken out in front of you or if visibility is very poor. They could also just be checking out the views here; it's a nice spot.

• sendtomaz
                    sendtomaz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks like a bunch of people miss the sharp turn on Colden's western ascent (or descent). https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#19.....11961/hot/run

Originally posted by sendtomaz View Post
                  What time period does this cover? There's no evidence of the Cascade Columbus Day reroute.
                  a unique ski route i did 1/1/2017 is shown in the heat map, a bushwhack i did 10/18/2017 is not.

edit: strava claims to update the heatmap "every 2-4 weeks".

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
                    Panther Gorge should be lit up like a Xmas tree but it's trackless. I guess mudrat doesn't post to Strava.

It's good. Some places should be left "untracked" and open to one's imagination
                    LOL! I don't even have a GPS on me most of the time in there. It's just memorized. The left side would be lit up and the rest of it would be crisscrossed with lower intensity lines like spaghetti. Very interesting, Taras.
                    May your ambition for the goal allow you to be a student of the journey.

www.adirondackmountaineering.com

Comment

Working...
                    X