X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Americans Head Into The Wild Unprepared For ... The Wild

A lot on the Adirondacks in here...

http://www.npr.org/2017/10/25/559987...m_content=2052

This struck me as odd..."In the Adirondack Park alone, nearly a dozen people died in the backcountry this summer."
    Has it really been a dozen? I don't seem to recall that many.

Keep in mind that this is NPR we're talking about. Their reporting accuracy has gone downhill fast over the past few years (looking at you, Steve Inskeep), and this number probably includes any and all outdoor activity related deaths within the ADK region. Drownings, heart attacks, actual SAR events, etc.
    My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      That makes sense. I was just thinking hiking.

• FlyFishingandBeer
      FlyFishingandBeer commented
      Editing a comment
      I really appreciate NPR's message here. Many of us have brought these same issues up time and time again and its awesome that somebody is carrying these same concerns to a larger audience. That being said, Mr. Mann could have been a little more specific about where these numbers are coming from and what they actually represent. He also mentions in his article that there is no central database for tracking emergencies on state and federal lands. While this is partially true, the NPS keeps very close track of this information and releases annual SAR-Rs with fairly detailed information; their database isn't *public* during the current year. One would have to assume that each state also keeps accurate information on SARs, if nothing else to justify their expenditures and man hours. Trying to lump the generalized term "outdoor emergencies" into this same category is going to really muck things up and produce inaccurate figures unless the data compiler maintains extremely tight records during this process. Still, a college student getting drunk and falling out of a speed boat and a situation like Alex Stevens' really don't belong in the same study.

The first step in increasing safety in everything is awareness. So anything that raises awareness with a usually unaware audience is a good thing. It doesn't need to be perfect, just directionally better. I like that they linked to an article on tips to stay safe in the wild. It's not perfect either, and they should have mentioned all 10 essentials properly, but it's an improvement over not being prepared at all.

Comment

Working...
    X