Camping sites near Bradley Pond

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping sites near Bradley Pond

How many camping spots are there near Bradley Pond? A couple friends and I are planning on hiking the Santanoni range this weekend. However, we're not going to get to the trailhead until ~6:00pm on Friday. That means we'll be getting into camp pretty late. I know these peaks don't get too much traffic, but I'm hoping there will be enough spots left when we get into camp after dark.

Side note... Are the designated camping sites easily seen from the trail? We will be hiking in from the trailhead right next to Echo Mtn. It will probably be dark by the time we get to the sites, and I'd rather not miss them. Are there any monuments that I will pass right before or right after the sites?

Sorry, this was supposed to go in the Trip Planning sub-section. Mods, feel free to move it.

Comment

The forum's search function has been repaired (yay!). "Bradley Pond campsites" produced several hits including this useful one:
      http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/f...rea-tent-sites

debmonster reported there are three designated campsites just north of Santanoni Lean-to (a.k.a. "Bradley Pond" lean-to).

You can also primitive-camp 150+ feet off the Bradley Pond Trail, on fairly flat ground and in open woods, just north of the Express junction.
      Looking for Views!

Comment

While it is true that the Santas don't get the use Marcy does, they do get a fair amount. Hiking in the dark and finding a tent site has never been a favorite of mine. Can you get in there earlier? It just makes things so much easier. You may find that the the lean-to is full and so are the sites. As you probably know, the Santas are among the 46 and EVERYONE is out there doing the 46.

The sites are easy to find, just off the trail opposite the lean-to.

Comment

Just set up camp along the left-hand side trail at Times Square like everyone else does.

Kidding. You'll pass a plethora of decent spots along your walk in before the real ascending starts. Some back by the river crossings, some up closer to BP and the Express trail junction, as Trail Boss pointed out. I spied a couple of potentially good spots not too long after making the turn off the private dirt road onto the BP trail that I'd like to check out some day. Now that the leaves are dropping you should have some good views of what looks camp-worthy before it gets too dark.
          Last edited by FlyFishingandBeer; 10-11-2017, 03:06 PM.
          “Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.” - Ed Viesturs

Comment

• Groundpounder
            Groundpounder commented
            Editing a comment
            My first post on this site pertained to the "potentially good spots" you mention. Having not visited that particular area yet, and after looking at the contours on the topo, I was wondering what the situation was north of road on the walk in, specifically what it looks like near the turn to BP. If you ever get boots on the ground in there I'd be indebted for the info! I had hoped to poke around in there a bit after hiking Allen recently, but I was in a bit of time crunch so I didn't get the chance. OP - sorry for the minor thread hijack.

• FlyFishingandBeer
            FlyFishingandBeer commented
            Editing a comment
            Groundpounder it’s been about a year and a half since I’ve been up that particular trail but I seem to remember there being some fairly promising spots near the old mostly collapsed bridge. As with elsewhere is the High Peaks region you’ll want to make sure you’re at least 150 feet away from water and the trail. As was pointed out further down in this thead, you may find some “no camping here” discs, and this is almost always a good indicator that you’re too close to a trail or running water to legally camp anyway. I doubt I’ll be able to make it into that area again before snow flies, but next time I head out there I’ll log some prospective sites and message you the coordinates.

• Groundpounder
            Groundpounder commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks FFB! I realistically don't think I'll be in that area until next fall. I don't want to drive 8 hours only to find an impassable stream or knee deep mud, so, for me, it's a trip best left for fall.

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
          The forum's search function has been repaired (yay!). "Bradley Pond campsites" produced several hits including this useful one:
          http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/f...rea-tent-sites

debmonster reported there are three designated campsites just north of Santanoni Lean-to (a.k.a. "Bradley Pond" lean-to).

You can also primitive-camp 150+ feet off the Bradley Pond Trail, on fairly flat ground and in open woods, just north of the Express junction.
          Thanks for the link. I haven't been on the site much lately. The search does seem to be improved from the last time I tried. We'll be hiking in the dark, so we may try to find some flat ground in an undesignated space.

Originally posted by dundee View Post
          While it is true that the Santas don't get the use Marcy does, they do get a fair amount. Hiking in the dark and finding a tent site has never been a favorite of mine. Can you get in there earlier? It just makes things so much easier. You may find that the the lean-to is full and so are the sites.
          Unfortunately, we can't get there earlier. One of the guys can only take a half day. So, we'll be leaving from the Rochester area about 12:30. Google says it's a 4.5 hour drive, so the earliest we'll get to the trailhead will be 5. After we stop once (dinner, fill up water, and bathroom), it will be likely be around 5:30. With sunset about 6:15, it will be darkish about 6:45. We would have a little over an hour to hike in and find a site. It's going to be around 8 by the time we make it to Bradley Pond.

Originally posted by dundee View Post
          As you probably know, the Santas are among the 46 and EVERYONE is out there doing the 46.

The sites are easy to find, just off the trail opposite the lean-to.
          These 3 will make 21 for our group. We're only knocking off about 3 or 4 a year, so it's going to be a while before we're done

Originally posted by FlyFishingandBeer View Post
          Just set up camp along the left-hand side trail at Times Square like everyone else does.

Kidding. You'll pass a plethora of decent spots along your walk in before the real ascending starts. Some back by the river crossings, some up closer to BP and the Express trail junction, as Trail Boss pointed out. I spied a couple of potentially good spots not too long after making the turn off the private dirt road onto the BP trail that I'd like to check out some day. Now that the leaves are dropping you should have some good views of what's looks camp-worthy before it gets too dark.
          Thanks for the info. We'll keep our eyes out once we get off the dirt road.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyFishingandBeer View Post

Kidding. You'll pass a plethora of decent spots along your walk in before the real ascending starts. Some back by the river crossings, some up closer to BP and the Express trail junction, as Trail Boss pointed out. I spied a couple of potentially good spots not too long after making the turn off the private dirt road onto the BP trail...
            Not all of these are legal and are posted with the highly visible square, yellow "no camping signs.

Comment

NirvanaFan, I don't think you'd have too much trouble finding the tent sites past the lean-to, even after dark. The lean-to is uphill from the trail, so you might not see it, but there is a yellow camping -> disk indicating that the campsites are west of the trail (on your left if you're going northbound on the blue Bradley Pond Trail). Campfires are allowed, so someone might have a fire going, which will make it easy to find. If not, just keep your eyes out for the yellow "camp here" disks. The tent areas are fairly large and not too far from the trail.

My bigger concern might actually be the stream crossings a few miles before the lean-to, especially the second crossing. Rock hopping across the water just downstream from the damaged bridge is possible if the water level isn't too high, but this might be a bit tricky by headlamp. Personally, I'd probably want to wait until morning for better visibility so that I could see what I'm dealing with. The wonky bridge can be crossed carefully (I used it both ways in July), but again, it might be tougher to navigate the exit by headlamp, as there are some steps missing on the far side. I think if you take it slow and careful, you should be okay. I hope that you have a great weekend!
              We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing ~ Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
              X