Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gothics?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gothics?

So I really want to hike Gothics next but I was just wondering how hard it is I heard there are cables at one point along the trail.

It's not too bad. The stretch with the cables is steep, but it is (IMO) mostly psychological- it just feels really exposed because you're climbing/descending on top of an exposed ridge. There's other stretches of trail in the High Peaks that are just as steep but without the expansive views, so they seem easier. If you have shoes with a good grip on rock, it shouldn't be a problem at all. Just go slowly and carefully, and keep as much of the tread of your shoes in contact with the rock as you can with each step.

You can also always avoid the cables by going from the Ausable Mountain Reserve. Still some steep stretches of trail are still steep but not nearly as bad as the west face descending towards Saddleback.

The one place on trail where I would recommend significant extra caution is the Saddleback Cliffs.

BTW, if you're planning to go this upcoming weekend, be prepared for crowds on just about every High Peak, and packed parking lots.

Comment

Originally posted by Rmxfiles View Post
      ... I heard there are cables at one point along the trail.
      ​You only heard part of the story. Three trails converge on the summit and only one of them has cables. They serve as handrails to keep hikers on the bare rock and off the vegetation.

​Comparatively speaking, the easiest trail up Gothics is via Beaver Meadows Trail followed by a short stretch of the ADK Range Trail.
      Looking for Views!

Comment

I liked the route from Lake Road. Another route from the road that adds some extras is to walk all the way to the end of the road and see Lower Ausable Lake where all the lucky Ausable Club members get to ride the bus to. After that you can cut over to see the beautiful Rainbow Falls and head up the easier Weld trail to the Sawteeth col. Bag Sawteeth if you want then its an easy jaunt over to Pyramid which is maybe the coolest view in the park. Another easy walk over to Gothics (not the cable route) and you are at your destination. Head down the Beaver Meadows trail where you are rewarded with another pretty waterfall at the bottom before the easy walk back out the road. Im not a "super hiker" and did not find the route very difficult.

Comment

How many miles is this route Runty?

Comment

• Runty
            Runty commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe 7.5 miles on road including the walk from the parking lot and 6.5 miles on trail. Add in another 1 mile if you do Sawteeth. You should definitely get a trail map, it has the distances of each trail but not the road portion. Sorry I dont want to give you the impression that it is an easy hike, but half of it is on a dirt road.

• Trail Boss
            Trail Boss commented
            Editing a comment
            Just 6 miles of road, assuming you walk the full length inbound and emerge from Beaver Meadows for the outbound.

Originally posted by Rmxfiles View Post
          How many miles is this route Runty?
          ​All questions of distance can be answered using GraphHopper. Here's the route described by Runty:

https://graphhopper.com/maps/?point=...=OpenStreetMap

​20.25 km = 12.6 miles
          Looking for Views!

Comment

Thanks guys your info has been really helpful

Comment

Working...
            X