Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howling, Yipping, Barking in South Meadows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howling, Yipping, Barking in South Meadows

Was camped out in South Meadows along the road this weekend and was startled awake around daybreak/first light by a cacophony of howling, yipping, and barking that seemed to go on for several minutes before falling completely silent. It sounded like a LOT of animals, and not the domestic type. The only thing I could even remotely compare it to are the responses to "wolf howls" up in Algonquin Park (Ontario, Canada). Yet we have no established wolf populations in NY. So I'm at a loss. I've heard lone coyotes plenty of times before, but nothing like this. Does anyone know if they engage in similar behaviors? It's not something I've ever experienced before, so I'm quite perplexed, yet intrigued.

Sasquatches are known to mimic coyotes sounds. Those vocalizations are probably what you heard. Did you do any call blasting or wood knocking in return?

Or probably just coyotes. Coyotes do run in bands or packs. Did it sound something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtsZoIe3Czk

Or this suggests you may have only heard one coyote... http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/20...rks-howls.html

Comment

Sounds like coyotes to me. We have plenty around our area and hear that cacophony frequently.

Comment

Coyotes with wolf DNA. NOT an urban myth. The wild center in Tupper lake has a display and article on the new Coyotes of the Adirondacks.
        ​There are a lot of them over along the ridge from New Russia to Giant. I've surprised them out sunning themselves on rock ledges when trail running very early AM.

Comment

• FlyFishingandBeer
          FlyFishingandBeer commented
          Editing a comment
          Can confirm. While returning to New Russia from a sunset hike on Giant/RPR I was greeted by a pack of them around the eastern base of Blueberry Cobbles. They scattered and I saw them again near the entrance of Gilligan Rd as I was leaving. This was around midnight, maybe 1am.

I agree that this sounds like a pack of coyotes. I hear them in packs in the Eastern Adirondacks frequently. I used to think that they were primarily solitary animals in summer, but I guess that isn't always the case.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Comment

Its amazing the noise / ruckus just a few coyotes can make. It was likely a family group locating one another. The young of the year don't typically disperse until fall. They're still learning to fend for themselves. They can be found in groups throughout the year though. And do hunt in packs like wolves from time to time, not all the time though. They eat a lot of mice and voles, etc.
          46/46 - #9464
          7/46 "W"
          NE115 - 53/115

Comment

Originally posted by Makwa View Post
            Sasquatches are known to mimic coyotes sounds. Those vocalizations are probably what you heard. Did you do any call blasting or wood knocking in return?

Or probably just coyotes. Coyotes do run in bands or packs. Did it sound something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtsZoIe3Czk

Or this suggests you may have only heard one coyote... http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/20...rks-howls.html

after reviewing this (and other related videos) i am certain this is what i heard. which is interesting to me because...

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
            I agree that this sounds like a pack of coyotes. I hear them in packs in the Eastern Adirondacks frequently. I used to think that they were primarily solitary animals in summer, but I guess that isn't always the case.
            this is the assumption i was under as well.

Originally posted by mastergrasshopper View Post
            Coyotes with wolf DNA. NOT an urban myth. The wild center in Tupper lake has a display and article on the new Coyotes of the Adirondacks.
            ​There are a lot of them over along the ridge from New Russia to Giant. I've surprised them out sunning themselves on rock ledges when trail running very early AM.
            i've actually seen this exhibit, so that may explain the more pack-like behavior.

sorta reminds me of how the "algonquin wolf" up in ontario has recently been determined to be a species of its own, made up of eastern wolf, gray wolf, and coyote DNA.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/algonquin-wolf

thanks all. i learned something today!

Comment

A few years ago, I was sleeping in the Garden parking lot with my alarm set for 0400. Around 0300, something started howling in the far corner of the parking lot. Not yipping, but a full-on hair-raising howl. Shortly after, I hear an answering howl from below in Johns Brook Valley and the one in the parking lot moved off and they both faded into the distance. Coyotes are definitely in the Adirondacks, but after that morning, I'm pretty certain there's something bigger..... Didn't get out of the car and on the trail until 0500...

Comment

That is interesting that someone would not know what that is.Different perspective. I hear them most nights. Love the chorus.

Comment

While climbing Big Slide (atop First Brother) back in July, we heard a pack of them down in the Johns Brook Valley. Seemed odd, as it was mid-morning, but our supposition is that they may have just made a kill.
                  Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs

Comment

Klingons will howl as well. Maybe it was a pack of them?

Comment

Here's another interesting article on "Coywolves." PBS aired a really good documentary about them a few years ago, but I can't find a link to it.

http://www.syracuse.com/outdoors/ind..._out_west.html

“Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.” - Ed Viesturs

Comment

Originally posted by Makwa View Post

Could you explain why should have he respond to those sounds? Maybe I don't know something I should.

Likely, those were just coyotes.

Comment

• FlyFishingandBeer
                        FlyFishingandBeer commented
                        Editing a comment
                        When you hear a 'squatch making noises you're supposed to *whoop* back at it and bang a piece of wood up against a tree trunk. Common knowledge. Sheesh.

• Makwa
                        Makwa commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm obviously just playing around. Bigfoot hunters immediately jump to the conclusion that every sound they hear in the forest is a Sasquatch. I was just poking fun at that. As FlyFishingandBeer just said... common knowledge for Squatch enthusiasts.

We all agree it was coyotes.
                    Working...
                    X