Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

East trail. RPR & giant traverse from rt 9. Water sources & time guesses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East trail. RPR & giant traverse from rt 9. Water sources & time guesses?

Hello, my son and I are doing the traverse from rt 9 over. RRP and giant, this will be our 11 and 12th 46er. Looking at the map and reading up it appears there are not too many water sources but I cannot tell exactly. After first using aquamira drops we moved to the mini sawyer and that was great. Two years ago doing Colden and TT we never needed our emergency water and used only treated water. Just curious how many spots there are to fill up so we can treat and drink.

Also, I'm thinking about 8 or 9 hours to return to roaring brook on 73?? Does this sound right? Since the family is with us this trip we have to coordinate the pickup, so normally I wouldn't care about how long it takes. We are both good shape, he is 12 and runner and we have had no issues before - he did phelps at 5. For reference. street and NYe took us 5-545 hr or so last year with about 30 mins of eating on top. By the way, street and NYe were underrated... very peaceful and fun hikes where we didn't see anyone. More woods and forest compared to other peaks we had done. Thanks in advance!

So, you're planning a traverse from New Russia to Roaring Brook? There is water at Lake Mary Louise if you bring a filter.

8-9 seems reasonable and if you are early, you just hang out...You will be climbing for most the day, but also doing some descents between Bald and Rocky Peak, and from there to RPR and then climb up to Giant. After that, it is a 3000' descent to Roaring Brook. There is some scrambling both along the route up to Giant and down Giant, which may require more care than the terrain on S&N.

I usually do this traverse in the other direction because I move faster downhill, but I am in the minority. My best S&N time is 4:30; I wasn't running, but I was moving pretty well. I love S&N, one of my favorite hikes in the High Peaks!
    #8335W, Solo 46W
    Four Season 31/46
    46 Grid 256/552
    NE 111 113/115

One list may be done, but the journey is far from over...
    Half Dome, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by moosebeware View Post
      So, you're planning a traverse from New Russia to Roaring Brook? There is water at Lake Mary Louise if you bring a filter.

8-9 seems reasonable and if you are early, you just hang out...You will be climbing for most the day, but also doing some descents between Bald and Rocky Peak, and from there to RPR and then climb up to Giant. After that, it is a 3000' descent to Roaring Brook. There is some scrambling both along the route up to Giant and down Giant, which may require more care than the terrain on S&N.

I usually do this traverse in the other direction because I move faster downhill, but I am in the minority. My best S&N time is 4:30; I wasn't running, but I was moving pretty well. I love S&N, one of my favorite hikes in the High Peaks!

Thanks for the response and insight. Yes, we're picking it up from NR and heading to Roar Brook (or maybe Chap. Pond). If we're early, we'll head down the road to noonmark for some food!

I was surprise with S&N. We were going to do Skylight and Gray over Marcy, return via Lake Arnold last year, but the wife/daughter came to Lake Placid with us, so we were "forced" to do something shorter so they weren't waiting around too much. After selecting S&N, I was glad it ended up that way since it was such an enjoyable experience. The funny part was we hit one of them (the one the veered right on the way up, I forgot which one that was) and when we hit the peak, we said "are we here, is this the peak - until we turned and saw the sign...was pretty funny!).

Comment

It's a bit shorter hike and less vertical drop to Chapel Pond. And good swimming at the pond, if you're so inclined. RBF is cool, but if I had to pick a spot to kill time, it would be Chapel Pond.

Comment

You might consider leaving time for summits. Looking at my log book, it usually takes me 9 - 10 hours, but that's including 15-20 minutes each on Bald & Rocky Peaks, and 1/2 to 1 hour each on RPR & Giant. It's a pity with such beautiful places to have to press along. Also, the way up to Bald Peak has blueberries (slows me down every time, in season), and the alpine areas further up the ridge are fun too.

Comment

I did an out and back earlier this year from Rte 9 New Russia lot up Blueberry Cobbles, Bald Peak and over until just short of the official summit of RPR. The only water I remember is Marie Louise Pond. It is an absolutely phenomenal hike which I did based on recommendations here from other members. Lot of outlooks with views, unique meadow areas and a stunning 1/4 mile long (maybe longer) birch glade in the col between Bald Peak and the shoulder of RPR. I agree with others that you'll want to allow time for views because they are pretty much non stop after the roughly 2 miles or so to the Blueberry Cobbles (do not skip with the bypass - it is a trivial amount of extra steps and is spectacular).

Comment

During the ADK training I attended for the Trailhead Steward program, we were told in no uncertain terms NOT to give time estimates. We are told only to give out FACTS. (e.g. "It's 8 miles and 2,500' of elevation gain"). The issue is that whatever we say gets passed along (without context) and eventually someone gets mad (or worse) because they were lead to believe it only takes 'n' hours to do a particular hike.

There are just too many variables for an accurate estimate.

And if it's online, you can bet someone will read about it and decide that they can do it that fast as well.
              Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
              Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
              Past President Catskill 3500 Club
              CEO Views And Brews!

Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

Comment

This is a notoriously dry trail. The only water you can count on will be Lake Mary Louise. I read something in an old guidebook that recommended NOT drinking this water, but it didn't say why. I know that others have done this and there is a designated tent site there, but FYI.

I would plan LOTS of time for this trip as it's 4800' of climbing to Giant.

Comment

• jrjmurray
                  jrjmurray commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Can you confirm where you read that about not drinking the pond water? I filtered from it 2 years ago no problem but the pond was full and running over the outlet. Maybe no good at lower levels?
                  Either way keep your intake off the bottom; the superfine silt will clog your filter in no time.

daveg

​You can find more info about this route here:
                http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/f...t-through-hike

​In the fifth post, I describe a source of water on the west side of Dickerson Notch and Mastergrasshopper provides details about its location (the post also includes a map-link). If this "fairly reliable" source is dry (or you miss it) then you are committed to draw water from Lake Mary-Louise. Rain and runoff feed this mountain tarn so most of the time its water is stagnant; be sure to filter it. I recall one summer when it had the color of used motor oil (only slight exaggeration).
                Looking for Views!

Comment

I have filtered Lake Mary Louise water in the past. Filter works fine (PUR Hiker), but it pays to wrap a coffee filter around the intake.

Agree with Tom on times. Most parties find it a long day from New Russia to Chapel Pond. But in my running days, I did that line in 3:32. So no predictions!

Comment

I'm not sure where I read it, probably an old ADK guide or BMcM. Like I said, others have filtered it and been fine.

Comment

Originally posted by TFR View Post
                      During the ADK training I attended for the Trailhead Steward program, we were told in no uncertain terms NOT to give time estimates. We are told only to give out FACTS. (e.g. "It's 8 miles and 2,500' of elevation gain"). The issue is that whatever we say gets passed along (without context) and eventually someone gets mad (or worse) because they were lead to believe it only takes 'n' hours to do a particular hike.

There are just too many variables for an accurate estimate.

And if it's online, you can bet someone will read about it and decide that they can do it that fast as well.
                      Yeah, I hear that clearly, & I'll have to consider whether ever to mention times. I've had a number of times over the years when friends are thrown off after I tell them something like "that's an easy hike, you should have no problem" & it turns out to be much harder than they expected.
                      At the same time, I've found other people's time estimates very helpful sometimes, esp. once they've posted some reports & I get a feeling for how they move. You know, the "if it took HER [speed demon]15 hours, I'm never going to do it as a dayhike", or "they usually take similar times to mine".
                      I've often given times qualified with a statement that it varies from person to person, from place to place, & from one hike to another on the same route. But I can see that it can still be problematic. This is, however, a forum for people to exchange information as well as their own experiences. Hmm.

Comment

I did it last October in 10 hours CP to NR. I'm slow, and it took 5 hours to the RPR summit and 5 more to New Russia. I spent some time on the summits and also at Marie Louise Pond/campground. Brought 3 liters of water and didn't use it all. I really like the direction I used (W-E) because the sun was at my back in late October. Started at 9:00 and finished at 7:00, after dark.
                        Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
                        2nd round: 16
                        SL6r #596
                        Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

I'll second TFR's admonition about time estimates, as well as Rickhart's comment regarding leaving summit viewing time. If you have a nice day, why not linger? In terms of mileage, you get one hell of a bang for your buck on this hike...of course, you earn it with all the elly gain and loss.
                          Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs

Comment

Originally posted by moosebeware View Post

x2 on doing it in reverse from roaring brook to new Russia. Doing it the other way leaves the hardest for last, and potentially in the dark.

I'm guessing if we hadn't had the issues with our hiking partner you and I would have easily been done in 8h.

Comment

Working...
                            X