Suggestions for 3 day / 2 night trip with no crowds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for 3 day / 2 night trip with no crowds

I am looking to do a solo hammock backpacking trip in next few weeks and would love some advice for some good hikes. Few things looking for this trip

- No crowds! Less people the better
    - No bear canisters!
    - Peaks are great, but not specifically looking for peak bagging
    - Love lakes and loons, but not looking to fish
    - I am driving up from Hudson Valley area and will only have one car, so a loop is ideal

Any advice or favorite hikes out there?

The "no crowds" requirement is going to be tough to find in the High Peaks, so would somewhere in the western or southern Adirondacks work for you? Also, what's your average daily mileage? Some people like to hike about 8 - 10 miles a day, but others could easily complete the 50-mile Cranberry Loop Trail in 3 days.
    We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing ~ Satchel Paige

Comment

• MasonOrange
      MasonOrange commented
      Editing a comment
      I just did the CL50 in 3/2. I wish I did 4/3. I would have checked out more detours (Cat Mtn, High Falls, Chair Rock Flow) and my feet would have felt better. It's really a beautiful trip.

Circuit around the Sewards. For added isolation use the horse trails instead of the NPT and you will not see anyone. Add a side trip to Duck Hole. First night at Duck Hole second at Calkins Brook LT. Aprox 30 miles
    OR
    Loop around Newcomb Lake with a visit to Great Camp Santanoni. Two nice LT's on the lake. Clockwise first night at the Lt on the south side of the lake, second at one of the designated campsites past Camp Santanoni . Aprox 14 miles

Comment

I did a 3 day/2 night backpack in the Sewards July 5 - 7 (i.e., right after the 4th) and barely saw another soul. Both the Blueberry and Ward Brook leanto's were empty both nights and no other campers nearby. I saw one group of 3 on top of Donaldson on the 6th (they came up form Calkins) and not another human all day or night.. Some people were hiking in as I was hiking out on Friday the 7th. Bear can not required there (western high peaks), but I brought one anyway. It's more to carry, but it's a thing of beauty once you take it out of the pack.

Comment

Ditto on the Sewards / western section. Bonus if you do it later in the year. I came in from Coreys and went down past Duck Hole to Couch/Panther/Santantoni, always camped alone and maybe ran into 5 people all weekend. This was a few years back, but still I think that part of the park doesn't get the crowds, due to the mud, distance past LP, and non-sexy views.
        46er #9404
        Pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/145945713@N02/
        http://www.athikerpictures.org/syste...jpg
        https://smokebeard.wordpress.com/

Comment

Try a circumnavigation of the Seward Range. Start at the winter parking area and head down the Raquette River trail. There is a gorgeous lean-to and campsite (better check Trail Boss to make sure it's a legal site) right on the water 5 mins from the parking area. Do a side trip to the falls-worth it. You can easily bushwhack through open woods back to the Calkins truck road. Continue over Mud Hill south to the NPT along the Cold River (2 lean-to choices) then intersect with the Ward Brook Truck Trail (Lean-to's number 4, referred often to as the Twin Horse LT's). The only hiccup will be walking the 3 miles along Coreys Rd. back to your vehicle, although you can likely hitch a ride. I did it this spring as a one-nighter but it can easily be stretched into 2 nights, especially if you decide to go up one of the Sewards.

Comment

Working...
          X